Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,661 times

Advertisements

hi
i'm a single mom looking to relocate...didnt know if anyone would be able to help with some information about schools and appartments...i'm looking for something resonable...close to dallas/fort worth area.
anything will help!! thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 04:50 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
In order to help, readers would really need to know more than 'close to DFW area'.....dozens of towns match that description but some of them are 100 miles apart - it's a big place!! Do you know what kind of work you'll be doing, where you'll be working? Are you wanting city life or suburban or rural? Will be you commuting or needing public transport? What is your price point for apartments? With more specifics, I'm sure someone can answer some questions for you.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,661 times
i can commute, but i would prefer not more then a 20-30 min drive. i would like an area that is kid friendly. low crime, young families. i'm looking for a job in health care. i do want to continue schooling down there also, but i can always continue online to start. i am a CNA right now... price range is hard, for i dont know the wages of a CNA or jobs down there. again, anything will help... i'm fine with just a one bedroom appartment, i know they usually run cheaper.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:47 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
You might want to get a job first before you look for housing, or at least narrow down the job search. What could be considered the DFW metro area is about 5000 square miles and has a population of six and a half million peole. Quite a big area, and you might secure housing only to find out that you have a place in Rockwall while your job is in Weatherford, which is 83 miles away.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:26 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
A CNA won't have any trouble finding a job....however, $12/hr is probably about average for salary. Many hospitals will help employees attend school while you are employed there - nursing school or training to be a technician with some medical equipment....sonograms, etc.

Supporting a family on CNA salary will be a challenge in the city. You might consider checking on Section 8 housing....housing price will be based on your income/family size. And even tho you didn't ask - IMO.....Unless there is a specific reason for wanting to live in Dallas, you might consider a small town near Dallas......jobs for CNA's are always available, the cost of living is much less, they are usually safer for a woman and children, and the schools are generally good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas