U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:54 PM

27,581 posts, read 45,029,595 times

Advertisements

whis is the person constructing your house....if NOT the builder?
do you mean the construction foreman? or the framer? or the owner of the building company?

so you are saying their explanation was that the workings inside the toilet were stolen and the thief did not turn off the water valve and the toilet overflowed which caused all the water damage?

why would a thief want to steal the inner workings of a toilet when most of them are plastic???
and why take just one--surely there was more than one toilet violated?

your builder has INSURANCE--believe me he does for something like this--ask to see the insurance claim he filed for the damage
IF the house was not locked prior to the theft--they went off and left the house open maybe--then the insurance may not honor the claim...but I would want to know what is going on with the insurance situation...

is this build happening within a CITY's limits--or a COUNTY's limits---
if it is a city house--then there HAS to be an inspection before drywalling--if not then the builder and code inspector are in cahoots...
and I think a county requires same type of inspection just might not have the same code requirements for construction (usually less stringent)...
you do NOT want to wait until a house is finished to have some third-party inspector come by--70% of what is important is covered by sheetrock at that point in time...that in itself tells me this builder is not on the up and up...

what are the legal ramifications if the builder cannot make good on remediation--and remember--they won't want to spend any more money than absolutely necessary--they will tell you once things dry out, everthing is ok--
it is not...

I am with your wife on this one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 04:18 PM

45 posts, read 336,948 times
With any water damage comes the potential for indoor pollution (see water damages (http://www.solutionsiec.com/water_damage.html - broken link)). While I don't really know everything the contractor did to dry things out, from what you're saying, they didn't do what they should have. I would have an inspector (see IAQ acronyms (http://www.solutionsiec.com/iaq_acronyms.html - broken link)) take a look at things and confirm that everything is ok before you have things move onto a surprised health-related issue and/or unplanned financial burdens.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 PM

19 posts, read 77,702 times
They've done what they can, and they've made some repairs. What we want to do (and others have suggested here, including you Jasony) is to get a certified inspector that deals with indoor air quality. I'm working on that now (via Angie's List).

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate the IAQ acronyms link you posted as well. That's very helpful to reference.

FYI, the other thing I neglected to mention was that we finally saw the flood damage in the media room. It looks like the water went all the way around the sides of the room.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:50 AM

Hi all,

In case anyone was curious, the builder agreed to apply a comprehensive 2 year warranty on the house. We also had a second inspection done on the house to ensure that moisture was not still in the walls.

Thanks again for everyone's comments!

Old 11-07-2009, 03:31 PM

27,581 posts, read 45,029,595 times
frankly I think the extra year's warranty the builder is offering is going to prove pretty useless if/when there are issues that come from this water episode...
who did the second inspection--someone you hired and builder paid for or someone he brought into the mix--

while it is true that mold takes moisture and oxygen to grown---so that there may be nothing behind that sheetrock that was not taken out--
I would worry more about the attention to detail that is being displayed daily during the construction process
if your first post was in may they should be almost done
how do you feel about other aspects of the construction
was there someone paying more attention after this water damage episode
who is the warrenty with--the builder per se or is it something like American Home Shield policy that realtors/homesellers can pay for when a re-sale home is on the market?

Old 11-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Well, we had a second inspection done (both were independent inspectors.. we insisted), where the first one found the problem. That same inspector came back to measure the moisture, and everything checked out.

We explicitly stated in the insurance coverage that that particular room would be covered by any damage in the next 5 years due to mold. The overall insurance package is two years.

Don't have the warranty type in front of me, but it was through a 3rd party service (not the builders).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or