U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:16 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,369,503 times

Advertisements

Find a job first and THEN concentrate on location to live. You don't want to rent in McKinney, Frisco, or Flower Mound and end up w/ a job a loooooong ways from home. Most of the area is pretty diverse with some being more so than others and some being a LOT more welcoming to others. The pleasant smile on the street is one thing but it is a totally different thing to be welcomed into the mix of those living around you. I happen to prefer the Garland area because of the diversity be it ethnic to socio-economic. My kids are in school w/ kids from all walks of life and make friends easily with people from every possible background. Visit and find a job and take a look around at different areas and find the one that gives you and your family the right feel for a new home.

As for the amount your looking to spend on rent it should be possible. After you have rented for a little bit and some of the older kids move onto "bigger adventures" (college ) you can scale down the size of living space you need and find something to buy for what your spending per month in rent EASILY. The $1800 a month could easily cover mortgage, insurance, property taxes and utilities if you watch what you do. And then if your kids are off to college and your working closer to downtown you don't have to worry about schools and can buy something a LOT closer to work (even though the DISD does have some very good schools or you could buy in the Richardson ISD portion of Dallas). LOTS and LOTS of options in the Dallas area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,651 times
I can tell you that you definately don't want to live right in Dallas. The crime rates there are awful! I've heard that one of the most affordable areas around Dallas is actually Euless. I've heard this on the radio and from an individual. They say you get a lot of bang for your buck!! Good luck!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:45 PM

6,195 posts, read 9,529,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesgru View Post
How are the nights, I prefer fresh air (open windows) to air conditioning.
We leave our windows open at night until late May/early June.

Once summer arrives the humidity is high enough that it really doesn't cool off much at night. When the daytime temps are above 100, it's not uncommon for the overnight low to be 75-80 degrees.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:35 PM

2,395 posts, read 7,624,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsomstacey View Post
I can tell you that you definately don't want to live right in Dallas. The crime rates there are awful! I've heard that one of the most affordable areas around Dallas is actually Euless. I've heard this on the radio and from an individual. They say you get a lot of bang for your buck!! Good luck!
So you know the crime rates but have only heard about Euless?

Dallas is fine, espeically if the original poster is looking for diversity. Keep in mind that the northern burbs (Frisco, Allen, Plano) are 90%+ white. Not much diversity (imo, no racism either, just no diversity).

Since DFW is so spread out, I would suggest a short lease (3-6 months) until you get a job and figure the metro out a little. That way, it's easier to move to what you love and/or closer to work.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 PM

57 posts, read 135,620 times
90% doesn't sound too diverse you are right. Looking for racially mixed school environment at least 30% AA.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,444,332 times
Here are some area high schools and the percent of the population that is AA.

Dallas ISD
%AA/School

91.9 Lincoln
85.6 Carter
83.2 Maceo Smith
81.7 Madison
80.6 Roosevelt
75.6 South Oak Cliff
52.9 Kimball
40.8 Samuell
38.3 Spruce
36.6 Pinkston
35.3 Conrad
32.5 Skyline
27.1 Hillcrest
24.7 Bryan Adams
22.6 Seagoville
17.1 North Dallas
15.9 White
12.2 Woodrow
7.0 Molina
4.6 Thomas Jefferson
4.6 Adamson
2.1 Sunset

Garland ISD
15.9 Sachse
17.1 Rowlett
17.3 Garland
19.1 Naaman Forest
20.7 North Garland
22.5 South Garland
33.6 Lakeview Centennial

Irving ISD
8.3 Nimitz
11.1 Irving
23.2 MacArthur

Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD
4.2 Turner
11.8 Creekview
16.1 Newman Smith
37.0 Ranchview

Plano ISD
6.6 Plano
7.5 Plano West
14.8 Plano East

HEB ISD
13.4 Bell
15.3 Trinity

Richardson ISD
7.2 Pearce
22.2 Richardson
27.5 Berkner
36.5 Lake HIghlands

Cedar Hill ISD
68.8 Cedar Hill

Duncanville ISD
50.9 Duncanville

Highland Park ISD
0.2 Highland Park

Grapevine-Colleyville ISD
3.8 Grapevine
4.7 Colleyville Heritage

Coppell ISD
4.7 Coppell

DeSoto ISD
80.9 DeSoto

Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 PM

10 posts, read 19,647 times
I moved from the Troy, MI area to Richardson about 5 years ago. You really should not find a house until you get a job. There are many people who move from metro detroit to DFW and do not realize how far everything is. Try to visit here for a couple of days then figure out where to move. Compared to detroit it is pretty different as far as diversity is concerned.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:18 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,004,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
So you know the crime rates but have only heard about Euless?

Dallas is fine, espeically if the original poster is looking for diversity. Keep in mind that the northern burbs (Frisco, Allen, Plano) are 90%+ white. Not much diversity (imo, no racism either, just no diversity).

Since DFW is so spread out, I would suggest a short lease (3-6 months) until you get a job and figure the metro out a little. That way, it's easier to move to what you love and/or closer to work.
Frisco, Allen, and Plano are all below 80% white.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 PM

25 posts, read 54,308 times
Have you considered Allen? It's family-oriented, good schools and some great neighborhoods. You can check it out on Realtor.com too.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 PM

114 posts, read 207,674 times
Hi, I was wondering how your relocation was going. I currently live in Southfield, MI. Im also AA with children and I am having a hard time deciding on where to relocate. I am researching Dallas, Atlanta, and Vegas. However, I am torn between Dallas and Atlanta. If you have chosen an area to settle, do you mind sharing your reasons why you chose that particular area.

Thanks in advance!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas