U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 AM

55 posts, read 174,644 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm looking for a central location to downtown Ft. Worth and downtown Dallas that has a good school district. I realized that both Coppell and the Carrollton-Farmer's Branch ISD are both considered "Recognized" overall with many exmplary and recognized schools. Which area do you think is better than the other? or do you think they are both similar. Should I be looking elsewhere besides these 2 school districts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:23 AM

1,622 posts, read 3,884,230 times
Coppell High is a better high school than anything CFBISD has, but it's also much larger. I would say at the elementary and middle school levels the districts are about the same. It's a little more expensive to buy in the Coppell district, I think.

What's your price range? If you can afford it you might want to look at the Carroll ISD in Southlake. It's a bit further west than Coppell, but it's a very good district. The Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD isn't bad either. Plano ISD is a very good school district but itsn't at all centrally located to downtown FW. Frisco is a good district too, but it's pretty far north, so it's going to be a drive to Dallas AND Ft. Worth. Highland Park, directly north of downtown Dallas, is the best public school district in the state, but it isn't anywhere near downtown Fort Worth and it's quite pricey.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 AM

55 posts, read 174,644 times
Our price range is $200K-$300K, and I understand Southlake and Highland Park is quite expensive so we are ruling that out. Plano and Frisco is too far north and not really central to Ft. Worth and Dallas. How would you rank then?. (Coppell, Carrollton, HEB, in this order in terms of quality of school district?)

Old 05-26-2009, 11:36 AM

1 Coppell, 2 northern CFBISD, 3 HEB, 4 southern CFBISD.
In CFBISD, aviod RL Turner High School. It's gone way downhill--most of the homeowners in the district either send their kids to private school or another school in the CFB district. Ranchview is very new and a very small high school, but I believe they are adding the IB program and that will help it out academically. Smith and Creekview are both very good, though unremarkable, high schools.

You also might want to look at North Hills, which is a free charter school on the Irving/Farmers Branch border. It's an excellent school academically.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:50 PM

107 posts, read 310,004 times
KELLER ISD AND NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, GREAT!!

IF YOU LIKE SOUTHLAKE BUT PRICE***TURNED YOU AWAY TRY KELLER

KELLER ISD MONEY MAGAZINE rated Keller as one of the top 100 "Best Places to Live" in the United States for 2007, ranked number 50.

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:26 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,381,409 times
I would look at Coppell, Grapevine or Flower Mound for commuting to both Dallas and Ft. Worth.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:53 PM

440 posts, read 959,415 times
Also consider Flower Mound, it has excellent schools and great family living and you should get houses in your budget. Definition of excellent school is subjective depending on the program/ interest your kids have.Commute to Fort Worth should be a faster but going to downtown might be longer (10-15 mins more) than living in Coppell. Commute times may vary depending on where you live in Flowermound. I suggest you actually take a drive in peak times to your office from the Sub-Division you want to buy in all the cities you are considering. For eg: I found that living in Flower Mound was taking me 10 mins more to reach Hwy 121 than Coppell/ Irving but saving me 20+ mins to reach Fort Worth. Property taxes in Coppell are higher than Flower Mound.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,222 times
I live in Northern Carrollton, and its a pretty great area.

I graduated from R.L. Turner High School in 2007, and I'm really not sure what school the previous poster was looking at, because the school I went to was excellent. I wouldn't advise moving to South Carrollton, not because of the schools (I actually chose to go to Turner instead of Smith or Creekview), but because the area as a whole is rather low-income and minority heavy. I believe that the impoverished or minority backgrounds of some of the kids attending turner are more to blame for any lowered performance ratings the school has then the school itself. North Carrollton is a great place to live and raise a family, I certainly reccomend it.

If you will allow me to talk about Turner a bit more, the district is working very hard to make sure the school dosen't go downhill. Huge sections of it are brand new, and the remainder is largely rennovated. It boasts some of the most amazing teachers I have ever had, who truly changed and touched my life and gave me direction. It has the best Medical Programs (you can be an EMT upon graduating high school!), Media Arts and Engineering programs anywhere. Its always astounding how people come to Turner expecting a run-down, ghetto school, and then stand and gawk at the library ("It's actually nicer then ours! Woah!" I heard some girls from another school say once). It's not the best performing in sports, admittedly - if you want sports, go elsewhere. Everything else is pretty solid, however, and some of the teachers are absolutely superb. (I was in Band and Academic Decathlon too).

Sorry to take your time, but my point is that Turner isn't the bad school everyone makes it out to be. That said, the area where you are zoned for Turner kind of stinks, so move further north, and you've got a great area with great schools and tons of opportunities!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckey View Post
I live in Northern Carrollton, and its a pretty great area.

I graduated from R.L. Turner High School in 2007, and I'm really not sure what school the previous poster was looking at, because the school I went to was excellent. I wouldn't advise moving to South Carrollton, not because of the schools (I actually chose to go to Turner instead of Smith or Creekview), but because the area as a whole is rather low-income and minority heavy. I believe that the impoverished or minority backgrounds of some of the kids attending turner are more to blame for any lowered performance ratings the school has then the school itself. North Carrollton is a great place to live and raise a family, I certainly reccomend it.

If you will allow me to talk about Turner a bit more, the district is working very hard to make sure the school dosen't go downhill. Huge sections of it are brand new, and the remainder is largely rennovated. It boasts some of the most amazing teachers I have ever had, who truly changed and touched my life and gave me direction. It has the best Medical Programs (you can be an EMT upon graduating high school!), Media Arts and Engineering programs anywhere. Its always astounding how people come to Turner expecting a run-down, ghetto school, and then stand and gawk at the library ("It's actually nicer then ours! Woah!" I heard some girls from another school say once). It's not the best performing in sports, admittedly - if you want sports, go elsewhere. Everything else is pretty solid, however, and some of the teachers are absolutely superb. (I was in Band and Academic Decathlon too).

Sorry to take your time, but my point is that Turner isn't the bad school everyone makes it out to be. That said, the area where you are zoned for Turner kind of stinks, so move further north, and you've got a great area with great schools and tons of opportunities!
The Farmers Branch part of the Turner district isn't so bad. The Carrollton part is rather iffy. In the CFB area, it gets nicer the further you get away from the Carrollton-FB border.

But while Turner is not a bad school in any sense, it doesn't quite match Smith and Creekview academically, and it doesn't really hold a candle to most of the private schools in the area.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 AM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
HEB ISD has two good quality high schools--would rank Bell or Tinity which are IB schools as better choices than CFB--Coppell is better ISD--smaller overall and since housing is more expensive has larger % of students that are NOT ESL/lower socio-economic grouping than HEB or CFB ISDs...
there are some homes in Grapevine Colleyville ISD in your price range--but not that many overall...

HEB probably has the best location and more good homes (but older) in your price range
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or