U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 7,099 times

Advertisements

Yes, that is what we are thinking also. My child will be starting Kindergarten next Fall so I figure we have a little time to figure it out. I guess I'll try doing the drive both ways: I'm partial to the DNT 'cause I take that out of DFW (35W->PGB->DNT) now, but it would be nice to avoid the tolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 AM

683 posts, read 2,093,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Heck, you'll need to go up the tollway to get to Frisco with any kind of efficiency. Don't use 75.
True. Northbound on the tollway is a breeze in the mornings. Depending on where you live, you can take NW Highway, or even Royal Ln. to get on the tollway.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:15 PM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,459,753 times
Even though we are close to downtown (we live in UP), my hubby works in Addison. His commute north (in the morning) and south (in the evening) on the tollway is a breeze--we've never had so short of a commute!

Old 05-28-2009, 05:21 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymachinebl View Post
True. Northbound on the tollway is a breeze in the mornings. Depending on where you live, you can take NW Highway, or even Royal Ln. to get on the tollway.
Fitzhugh/Wycliff also works and there is the back way on Beverly Drive to get on at Mockingbird. If you live in Cochran Heights the first is better or M-Streets you could do either but Beverly would be better in most cases. Mockingbird is not bad either since it was rebuilt.

True Bonham feeds into North Dallas HS. However, it seems fairly easy to transfer if you don't like a school. You could transfer into Woodrow for IB for example. When Long Middle School starts offering the IB Middle Years Programme IB Middle Years Programme at a glance in 3 or 4 years you will probably be able to apply for transfer there as well (but I'm not certain about that part).

If you like Bonham you also might like Lipscomb in Junius Heights. But it's just a bit further from Frisco (5-8 minutes more I would say) but probably closer to downtown, especially if the office is on the east side or near the arts district. Lipscomb definitely feeds into Woodrow and is a contender to get the IB Early Years Programme http://www.ibo.org/pyp/

Old 05-29-2009, 05:56 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
You are right.
Dallas ISD : Demographic Studies (http://www.dallasisd.org/demo/schoolinfo/feeder2009/ndallas.htm - broken link)

You could get a transfer or apply to magnet schools to avoid N Dallas High.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Fitzhugh/Wycliff also works and there is the back way on Beverly Drive to get on at Mockingbird. If you live in Cochran Heights the first is better or M-Streets you could do either but Beverly would be better in most cases. Mockingbird is not bad either since it was rebuilt.

True Bonham feeds into North Dallas HS. However, it seems fairly easy to transfer if you don't like a school. You could transfer into Woodrow for IB for example. When Long Middle School starts offering the IB Middle Years Programme IB Middle Years Programme at a glance in 3 or 4 years you will probably be able to apply for transfer there as well (but I'm not certain about that part).

If you like Bonham you also might like Lipscomb in Junius Heights. But it's just a bit further from Frisco (5-8 minutes more I would say) but probably closer to downtown, especially if the office is on the east side or near the arts district. Lipscomb definitely feeds into Woodrow and is a contender to get the IB Early Years Programme IB Primary Years Programme at a glance
Do you guys think that all the gentrification in the areas around North Dallas High School will eventually improve the other schools in the area? I ask because in parts of town that are "up and coming" you seem to see the improvements at the elementary schools first and it takes years for those same children to reach junior high and high school to lift up their scores and ratings.

For example the neighborhood in Richardson that I am (trying) to move to, their elementary school only recently achieved an "exemplary" rating. 2005-2007 it was "recognized" and now for 2008 it's "exemplary" and people in the area seem to think that is due to affluent middle class people of all races moving to that neighborhood.

What do you guys think?

Old 05-29-2009, 07:30 AM

1,622 posts, read 3,884,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Do you guys think that all the gentrification in the areas around North Dallas High School will eventually improve the other schools in the area? I ask because in parts of town that are "up and coming" you seem to see the improvements at the elementary schools first and it takes years for those same children to reach junior high and high school to lift up their scores and ratings.

For example the neighborhood in Richardson that I am (trying) to move to, their elementary school only recently achieved an "exemplary" rating. 2005-2007 it was "recognized" and now for 2008 it's "exemplary" and people in the area seem to think that is due to affluent middle class people of all races moving to that neighborhood.

What do you guys think?
I think it's more likely the people do what most of the people in North Oak Cliff, a fairly gentrified area do. They send their kids to Rosemont until 3rd grade, and then either get their kids into the magnet schools, do the private school route (either at Bishop Dunne or one of the North Dallas schools), or else they transfer their kids into a better public school feeder system. Greiner and Sunset don't see very many of these kids, just like I highly doubt that the Uptown crowd is going to raise many kids there (I bet they will move before they have kids), and even if they do you won't see those kids at Rusk/Spence or North Dallas.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:32 AM

2,982 posts, read 8,178,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Not around N Dallas High - it's mostly singles and couples, but hardly any kids.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
I think it's more likely the people do what most of the people in North Oak Cliff, a fairly gentrified area do. They send their kids to Rosemont until 3rd grade, and then either get their kids into the magnet schools, do the private school route (either at Bishop Dunne or one of the North Dallas schools), or else they transfer their kids into a better public school feeder system. Greiner and Sunset don't see very many of these kids, just like I highly doubt that the Uptown crowd is going to raise many kids there (I bet they will move before they have kids), and even if they do you won't see those kids at Rusk/Spence or North Dallas.
Since Greiner is an Arts Academy, it has good representation from the area. But never, ever Sunset.

And Spence is also a TAG campus so it gets some great kids.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 7,099 times
where is Sunset and Greiner schools?

Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elissyf View Post
where is Sunset and Greiner schools?
In the OC.
Oak Cliff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or