U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:20 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,509,242 times

Advertisements

Congratulations! The last time I read your other thread it sounded like the negotiations had stalled, so I'm glad things worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 PM

48 posts, read 225,211 times
Congratulations!!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:31 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
WOO-HOO!!!!! GREAT NEWS!!!!!

Oh, it sounds so exciting. Love the architecture of that area along w/ all of the quirky architectural details some of the houses have. GREAT CHOICE!!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM

614 posts, read 2,305,875 times
Congrats!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:03 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,996,702 times
Congratulations! Hope that everything (the moving part, etc) goes smoothly!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:39 PM

126 posts, read 383,366 times
Congratulations! I'm glad everything worked out.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:36 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Thanks so much you guys!!!!!!!!! I am THRILLED!

Now the nail-biting on the inspections starts...hopefully everything will go smoothly and there will be no major issues. The sellers were so stubborn with their asking price that if something is hugely wrong with the foundation or air conditioning or something, they'll balk at fixing it. One of the sellers owns a heat/cooling company so I would hope if there was a problem there, he'd take care of it!

Lakewooder:

I don't want to post the address, call it paranoia, but here are some photos of the front of the house and some of the interior.

The first order of business will be to convert the game room back into a garage. The house currently does not have a garage but it should not be difficult to convert the game room back into the garage that it originally was. I also want the carpet taken up in the hallway and the hardwoods refinished, and I want the house to be properly grounded and to have a 75 amp subpanel added (the house's service panel is only 125 amps). Then I want to modernize the phone jacks and hardwire the house for ethernet. It's not sexy but it needs to be done!

There is not a wood floor underneath the carpet in the den, just a plywood subfloor. I want hardwoods laid in there. I also plan to replace most of the light fixtures over time and lay tile floors in the kitchen and entryway. I want to replace the kitchen counter but not the cabinet carcasses which seem to be solid wood and in good shape but the doors and hardware are going.

I want to keep a 1950s look and feel on the exterior and in the common areas of the house particularly the formal living/dining area and the kitchen. I would even like to find vintage furniture to furnish those areas but reproductions are fine, 100% authenticity is not necessary, but since the house has a lot of original features I plan to keep those as much as possible. But the pink master bathroom is going to go away! Not this year, probably not next year, but someday!

I love the shape of the kitchen counter, especially how it's rounded at the end of the kitchen peninsula. When I have a new counter put it, probably Corian, I will tell them I want to keep that rounded and the little shelves below it. I will try stripping the paint off one of the kitchen cabinets to see what the wood underneath looks like and if it's pretty I will strip the rest of the cabinets which would be a huge project. But I think the natural woods and textures look nicer in a ranch than painted woodwork. If the wood underneath is pretty, I think it would be worth it to take the paint off.
Attached Thumbnails
I got the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-exterior.jpg   I got the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-livingdining.jpg   I got the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-den.jpg   I got the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-kitchen.jpg  

Old 05-28-2009, 12:32 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
COngrats on getting the house you wanted! Jeeping my fingers crossed for the inspections.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:55 AM

2,259 posts, read 8,630,145 times
Congrats! Thanks for posting the pictures, what a cute house and appears to be well maintained. I love the kitchen as it reminds me of the one I grew up in. I can see why you're excited!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:00 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Congrats! Thanks for posting the pictures, what a cute house and appears to be well maintained. I love the kitchen as it reminds me of the one I grew up in. I can see why you're excited!
It's so retro! So many of the houses in that neighborhood have been remodeled and the remodels look good, but many of them have lost a lot of that 1950s charm. This house has tons of it and I want to keep it, I want it to be modern and comfortable but also not lose its 50s charm. For example I think granite countertops in a 1950s house look out of place! I know they're popular, but they don't seem to fit in to me.

Before I do any major renovations I will be reading lots of magazines and talking to friends. Luckily one of my friends is an architect/interior designer, I will be talking to him a LOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or