Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

When I was a little kid we lived on Yosemite (the little street with the lake/creek behind it) and there was a Pepto-Bismol pink bathroom - I wonder if it's still there! My mother's 1956 home has a mother-of-pearl tile in one bathroom and white in the other...I think there was a yellow oven in the wall when we moved there in 1973.

I like the funky tile myself. My faves are the pink/purple/green combinations in the large 1920s Tudor one-story homes in the 6900 block of Westlake. They also have the really wild pedestal sinks with great stained glass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 PM

346 posts, read 730,711 times
Why don't they make those cool colored appliances anymore? Black and sliver, kinda boring, if you ask me. Why can't we find aqua blue refrigerators anymore? I'd totally get one, if they were still around.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:34 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eversearching View Post
Why don't they make those cool colored appliances anymore? Black and sliver, kinda boring, if you ask me. Why can't we find aqua blue refrigerators anymore? I'd totally get one, if they were still around.
Have you priced vintage formica tables lately? OHMY ! Insanely expensive. And to think we thought they were junk and they probably got tossed to the curb once they were done being used for an extra storage area in the garages around town. LOL!!! I'm betting one could find appliances in these fun colors if they looked hard enough. Probably have to pay dearly for them though.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:37 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm kinda sad the house flippers ripped out the aqua tiled bathroom that our house had, but I like the new one they made a lot too. We also had this really cool looking old aqua in-wall oven, love the look, but as somebody that enjoys cooking, I'm more happy with my modern oven/range.

I'm sort of rooting for BigDGeek to keep her pink bathroom too. .
I know of a house in the Richardson Heights neighborhood that has the original built in wall oven that is PINK! LOL!!! It is soooo cool. A PINK oven.

The built in wall oven we had years ago was the lovely BROWN. yuck. Nothing fun or funky about brown appliances or tile.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:01 PM

346 posts, read 730,711 times
Wow, I so want a pink oven! It would make me feel like I was living in a giant Barbie dream house. :P

Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Why do you want to rip out the pink bathroom? Those are GREAT!!!! Love'em, really. I'm not a "pink person" but those old 50's pink bathrooms can be a TON of fun.
Hey! I have a pink bathroom!!
But it's about to be completely redone due to a leak.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:11 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Y'all have me thinking back to the 1961 house I grew up in. It was a mid-century modern and AWESOME. I'm going to have to look for some pics to make sure, but if I recall correctly our ovens (2 built-in ovens on either side of the stove) were that aqua color. We also had red formica or wilsonart countertops. I would so love to live in that house again!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Sorry guys the pink bathroom is going!

If I can get the tub out in one piece then I think I will try to sell the suite, some people will actually buy that stuff. I do not want a thoroughly modern bathroom in there, I want it to still have some 50s ambiance, but not PINK!

The built-ins stay, they are essential to a 1950s house. I may tear out the wood paneling in the den, and a hardwood floor is on the agenda for that room too! Maybe not this year but at some point. I wish they had not painted the fireplace, it's pink brick with pink...grout, I guess you call it? Mortar? I don't know. It's pink and pink. You can see the back of the chimney in the utility room. There is a door going to the patio from that room and it has this diamond-shaped cutout in it, so awesome!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:20 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,857 times
Quote:
You can actually buy 1950s reproduction appliances, in all the colors they were made in back then. They are rather pricey though. I am totally going to have a 50s style kitchen one day!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:33 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Be careful about removing the tub. I took one of those heavy-duty cast iron/porcelain ones out of a 1950 house and it was pain to get it out. I put in a new tub and after a few years it's very obvious the original one was much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas