U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 04:51 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,000,346 times

Advertisements

Just read that La Condesa in Victory Park has closed. What is up with Victory park?! They keep losing restaurants. They definitely need to rethink their business plans and policies. I have a friend who knows the main developer for Victory Park and he said that they are being way too picky over what goes in there. I would think that anything would be better than nothing, which isa where there heading. Maybe when Hard Rock cafe opens up in there this summer, more will come.

Here is the link to the article:

Victory Park's La Condesa Has Closed | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 04:57 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,305,737 times
I heard it last night on the news.

Before hockey or basketball games at AAC the place is PACKED!!!!

Problem is the rent is way too high as they tried to cater to an EXTREME high end market that wasn't there. It is a "destination" area because of events at the AAC. Nobody just says they are going to Victory Park for dinner unless they are going to be in that immediate area because of the crowds that could be there if something is going on at AAC. Another issue is parking. People want something with a lot easier parking than what is offered in that area. You would have to pay to park and walk over to the restaurant you were wanting to dine at and then find the wait was an hour and a half. No one is going to do that.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:59 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,034,873 times
Hillwood was way too picky initially when they were signing up tenants at Victory Park. They wanted everything to be upscale and unique. That strategy was doomed from the beginning and the poor economy has only accelerated the pace of the downscaling. I think they are well aware that they made a very big tactical blunder and they are trying to adjust. The Hard Rock Cafe will be opening soon within a block of House of Blues, Dick's Last Resort and Hooter's. There's nothing high-brow about that combination. Hopefully this will help draw more people into Victory Park on nights when the AAC does not have events. Additionally, there is a Thai restaurant and a new wine bar under construction in the area formerly occupied by the LFT store. It will just take time to make all the necessary changes and the crappy economy is not helping. In the long run I think Victory Park will be a winner.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:07 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,824,904 times
IS that the place just across from the AAC entrance?

Another problem is that Victory Park was not built out and has not achieved critical mass. They cancelled the office tower and Manadarin Oriental. But they also should have included more modest housing.

And they insisted that DART go west out past the parking lots near Stemmons rather than up Houston.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:11 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,305,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Hillwood was way too picky initially when they were signing up tenants at Victory Park. They wanted everything to be upscale and unique. That strategy was doomed from the beginning and the poor economy has only accelerated the pace of the downscaling. I think they are well aware that they made a very big tactical blunder and they are trying to adjust.

In the long run I think Victory Park will be a winner.
Kind of reminds me of Willow Bend Mall. They tried to do the same exact thing on the mall concept and it failed. I've yet to see that mall packed even during the holidays. Last time I was in Willow Bend there were stores that one would NOT see in even a mid-range mall much less one "upscale". Maybe Hillwood should have payed closer attention to what happened up north.

I too think it will turn the corner and come out fine. Just needs to be retuned and marketed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
IS that the place just across from the AAC entrance?

Another problem is that Victory Park was not built out and has not achieved critical mass. They cancelled the office tower and Manadarin Oriental. But they also should have included more modest housing.

And they insisted that DART go west out past the parking lots near Stemmons rather than up Houston.
Yes, it was right across from the AAC w/ Victory Tavern behind it.

That was a bad move on their part with DART. Not that I really think that many people from the burbs would have ridden DART to Victory Park just to dine there to start with.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:19 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,412,844 times
I work downtown and the "where to go to lunch" question is never answered by "Vickery Park!" People eat downtown, Uptown, Deep Ellum, Knox, Henderson, Oak Cliff, Fuel City - but NEVER Vickery Park.

It doesn't help that you can't see the area unless you are right up in it.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:31 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,000,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I work downtown and the "where to go to lunch" question is never answered by "Vickery Park!" People eat downtown, Uptown, Deep Ellum, Knox, Henderson, Oak Cliff, Fuel City - but NEVER Vickery Park.

Ya I don't think I or anybody else in our office has ever gone to lunch there while working. Now I have before when our family was down there during the day for an event at the AAC. They definitely need to do some re-structuring to attract more of a crowd to the restaurants in Victory Park during the day.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:02 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,034,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post

I agree. Fortunately the new office building (I forget the name) that has anchor tenants Haynes & Boone as well as Ernst & Young is now open. More office buildings being built over the course of time will create a critical mass that will support more restaurants and retail. Victory Park is still a first class development and I anticipate that it will grow in the future. I read that Rockefeller Center in Midtown Manhattan was a flop when it first opened too. Time changes everything.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:17 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,412,844 times
Oh, yeah it's Victory Park, not Vickery. Shows how well I know the area.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:18 PM

288 posts, read 1,068,343 times
That isn't Rockefeller Center. It's a future grossly underpopulated Madison Square. Everybody wants to live, work and play hard up against a giant basketball arena.

And it's probably a Duh! Ya think? supposition for me to make, but the Hillwood decision on DART seems driven purely by their desire to reap car parking revenue.

And the name of the whole place, it's an embarrassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or