U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 12:33 PM

8,855 posts, read 10,310,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
If you have a Dallas Public Library card you can access the DMN archives up to 1977 for free via the library website.
I do have one and had no idea. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 2,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
How timely. Was chatting with a dad at my son's private school yesterday (our last day in private, heading to public high school) and he was in DISD in the late 1970s and he was so traumatized by what he experienced - which he called busing, not to mention had several racially based physical altercations at school, literally feared for his life and he was a big football player, he said he would never ever under any circumstance send his kids to any public school.

He was shocked to learn that in our area high schools at that time - JJ Pearce and Richardson - nothing like that was going on. Pearce was all white and Richardson was naturally integrated. Had his parents just moved 10-15 miles up the road, he could have avoided all that. This Dad lives in the DISD school zone now, but would never use the schools based on his experience 30 years ago.
I was in the DISD (W.W. Samuell) during the 71-72 and 72-73 school years, busing's first two years in the school district. The first year was pretty smooth, the second year, not so much, but still nothing like what we heard was going on at Carter and Skyline high schools. At Samuell, most of us grew up in blue collar house holds, you're taught to not take crap off anyone. I think that helped keep the number of "incidents" lower than at the other schools. Also when I look back on it, I think the vast mojority of black kids were pretty good kids.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Not sure about SOC but Carter started to turnover around 1974. I lived in Carter school district but they changed it in 1975. Like you stated the whites migrated to Duncanville in droves in the late 70's. They stuck around Kimball longer but started to move out and were gone by 1982. What find shocking is that I could have went to just about any highschool in Dallas on a minority to majority transfer during the late 70's. Today I could not go to any of them.
I wish I had been on this forum in 2008 and 2009. I graduated from Samuel in '73. The two years of busing wasn't too bad there. I heard there were lot's of fights at Carter, especially around 1975. In fact by then, I guess it was more like muggings instead of one on one. So, you stated that Carter's district changed in 1975? You mean the boundary lines or the demographics? I've always had an interest in Carter because we were about to move out ther in 70-71, but heard there would be busing, so my parents decide to wait.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:53 PM

622 posts, read 561,315 times
HP may have been technically integrated, but man, the OUTRIGHT HATE our family had to eat from all the neighbors for selling our house to a Mexican woman in '76 when Uncle Sugar moved us... the family spoke bitterly about that for years. No love for the "good old days," none at all.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:35 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,954,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT1954 View Post
I wish I had been on this forum in 2008 and 2009. I graduated from Samuel in '73. The two years of busing wasn't too bad there. I heard there were lot's of fights at Carter, especially around 1975. In fact by then, I guess it was more like muggings instead of one on one. So, you stated that Carter's district changed in 1975? You mean the boundary lines or the demographics? I've always had an interest in Carter because we were about to move out ther in 70-71, but heard there would be busing, so my parents decide to wait.
My hubby is a WWS Grove Rat. You're a couple of years behind my BIL. DH has told me about the bussing and how it wasn't quite as bad as it could have been. But that no one was happy about leaving their home school and neighborhood. Which I get. My HS district close one HS and split the population between 3 other schools. Total nightmare. Fights all the time. And that was with kids of the same socio-economic and ethnic make-up.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
My hubby is a WWS Grove Rat. You're a couple of years behind my BIL. DH has told me about the bussing and how it wasn't quite as bad as it could have been. But that no one was happy about leaving their home school and neighborhood. Which I get. My HS district close one HS and split the population between 3 other schools. Total nightmare. Fights all the time. And that was with kids of the same socio-economic and ethnic make-up.
Hello Murphy. Desegregation in some of the schools was pretty bad. Like I mentioned earlier, some schools like Carter got to the point of being very dangerous around 1975. I'm kind of a yearbook junkie. You can go to classmates.com see and see just how quickly some of the schools in DISD went from white to black by flipping through the online yeabooks. Carter went from white to majority black by 1976. As late as 1988 there were still a sprinkling of whites in the yearbook. Kimball was mostly white through the end of the seventies. While Samuell and Spruce had a few whites into the 2000s. Always good to hear from someone that knows a Grove-Rat.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Grainraiser which schools were these?

I know SOC went from white to black practically overnight but I am not sure of the year -- '69 or '70?

Not sure about Roosevelt. Carter went from all-white to black pretty fast around '75 or '76. Then Kimball did the same in the mid-80s. It sort of spread south from the older to the newer schools - Carter was a white flight school for SOC then the whites went to Duncanville. Samuell started going minority so the whites went to Spruce - then it changed.. I know this sounds crazy to those who didn't live through it.

Adamson had a fair number of blacks in the very early 70s. Sunset did not have much of a black population but I think there weren't many in its traditional district.

I can remember the white kids in North Dallas schools giving us grief for going to 'a minority school' in the 70s. We stuck around but they didn't when change came to their schools. So much for their loyalty...
SOC literally had a few blacks enrolled in the 66-67 school year. By the 68-69 school year, it was over half black.
Carter went from White to over 50% black by the 75-76 school year. Actually there were a few whites still enrolled at Carter through the late 80s. A good story about Carter is that in 1987, the student body president was white, even though the school was well over 90% black. I guess the kids started getting used to each other by then.
I'm not real sure about Samuell students ever transferring to Spruce, however. I would imagine most of their families moving to Mesquite or Garland.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:57 PM

4,304 posts, read 11,124,327 times
Just a bit of Dallas history lesson. Blacks began moving to Oak Cliff in 1968 after the passing of the Fair Housing Act in 1968. Up until this the point the vast majority of blacks lived in South Dallas (Lincoln & Madison HS). My family moved to Oak Cliff in 1968 (near Laurel Land Cemetery) and we were the second black family to move into the neighborhood. By 1970 my neighborhood was 99% black. I originally lived in Carter HS district and there was lots of whites still at Carter in the late 70's. Ledbetter was the dividing line, if you south of it you went to Carter. If you lived north of it you went to SOC. They changed the district lines in 1976. I-35 became the dividing line and my neighborhood and the Signing Hills neighborhood was now in SOC's district. I did not want to go to SOC and about 85% of neighborhood decided to go to Skyline instead. I do know that Skyline had a huge race riot in 1972 shortly after it opened. I went to Skyline from 1977-1981 and the school was very diverse. Whites lived in Skyline boundaries while blacks and hispanics attended the school either thru the magnet program or a minority/majority transfer. We also had alot kids who made Skyline their home school and went partime to the many magnet schools located downtown (business, health and law). I do know that Kimball had white quarter back on their 1981 team. The whites that left Oak Cliff moved to Duncanville. Most of the other whites moved to Plano which is the reason Plano exploded so fast. It was a interesting time.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:11 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,220,217 times
Did Houston have similar issues back when?

Old 04-17-2017, 05:13 PM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Did Houston have similar issues back when?
Not riots, but lots of white flight that changed schools makeup very quickly.

Houston Jones and Sterling near Hobby Airport became almost all Black in the early 70s from all white. Austin on the east end switched from mostly white to almost all Hispanic in the 70s and 80s.

Houston Madison in the South was one of the first neighborhoods built after the fair housing act. The fact that it was already integrated coupled with a series of floods lead to a quick change. By 1970 there were still only a few Blacks. By 74 it was about 25-30% Black. By 77 it was majority Black. By 1980 it was about 80% Black and 20% Hispanic with very few whites.

At that point, the westside schools-Westbury, Sharpstown, Lee, Lamar and Bellaire were still almost all white, but there was a lot of white flight over the next couple of decades. Lamar and Bellaire are probably still plurality white. I remember seeing a story around 1990 that Sharpstown was one of 3 HISD schools (2 elementaries + Sharpstown) that were still 90% white, but it changed quickly to overwhelmingly Black over 10-15 years.

There were similar patterns with the Northside schools-Reagan, Waltrip, Scarborough, Houston, Kashmere and Furr.

Lincoln (closed and merged into Lamar around 1980), Washington, Yates and Worthing were already Black schools. Davis was already almost all Hispanic by the 70s.

Now a lot of the predominately Black schools are shifting to mostly Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas