Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Yes, that's what I meant. Interesting article. I wasn't aware of how the lines were drawn. Are you familiar with McShann street in North Dallas? South of LBJ and runs (I think??) between Preston and Hillcrest. It was built as a black middle-class neighborhood. I wonder where those kids went to school back then?
Good question; that neighborhood is zoned to W.T. White now but it used to go to Hillcrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 08:25 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
How timely. Was chatting with a dad at my son's private school yesterday (our last day in private, heading to public high school) and he was in DISD in the late 1970s and he was so traumatized by what he experienced - which he called busing, not to mention had several racially based physical altercations at school, literally feared for his life and he was a big football player, he said he would never ever under any circumstance send his kids to any public school.

He was shocked to learn that in our area high schools at that time - JJ Pearce and Richardson - nothing like that was going on. Pearce was all white and Richardson was naturally integrated. Had his parents just moved 10-15 miles up the road, he could have avoided all that. This Dad lives in the DISD school zone now, but would never use the schools based on his experience 30 years ago.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:38 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
How timely. Was chatting with a dad at my son's private school yesterday (our last day in private, heading to public high school) and he was in DISD in the late 1970s and he was so traumatized by what he experienced - which he called busing, not to mention had several racially based physical altercations at school, literally feared for his life and he was a big football player, he said he would never ever under any circumstance send his kids to any public school.

He was shocked to learn that in our area high schools at that time - JJ Pearce and Richardson - nothing like that was going on. Pearce was all white and Richardson was naturally integrated. Had his parents just moved 10-15 miles up the road, he could have avoided all that. This Dad lives in the DISD school zone now, but would never use the schools based on his experience 30 years ago.
I think it was traumatic for a lot of Dallas kids, black and white. Neither had much experience with the other. Things are so different now. First, these kids are no longer completely alien to each other. Second, most of the public school kids in my area are Hispanic.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:41 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Good question; that neighborhood is zoned to W.T. White now but it used to go to Hillcrest.
I've tried some searching but all I keep coming up with about historical McShann Road are articles from the DMN archives. Don't want to pay for them! I don't know why there isn't more out there, I think it's a very interesting part of Dallas history.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I've tried some searching but all I keep coming up with about historical McShann Road are articles from the DMN archives. Don't want to pay for them! I don't know why there isn't more out there, I think it's a very interesting part of Dallas history.
Me too, I think it would be great if someone wrote a book about it. It's a very pretty street too.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:13 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Grainraiser which schools were these?

I know SOC went from white to black practically overnight but I am not sure of the year -- '69 or '70?

Not sure about Roosevelt. Carter went from all-white to black pretty fast around '75 or '76. Then Kimball did the same in the mid-80s. It sort of spread south from the older to the newer schools - Carter was a white flight school for SOC then the whites went to Duncanville. Samuell started going minority so the whites went to Spruce - then it changed.. I know this sounds crazy to those who didn't live through it.

Adamson had a fair number of blacks in the very early 70s. Sunset did not have much of a black population but I think there weren't many in its traditional district.

I can remember the white kids in North Dallas schools giving us grief for going to 'a minority school' in the 70s. We stuck around but they didn't when change came to their schools. So much for their loyalty...

Not sure about SOC but Carter started to turnover around 1974. I lived in Carter school district but they changed it in 1975. Like you stated the whites migrated to Duncanville in droves in the late 70's. They stuck around Kimball longer but started to move out and were gone by 1982. What find shocking is that I could have went to just about any highschool in Dallas on a minority to majority transfer during the late 70's. Today I could not go to any of them.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Quote:
I think it was traumatic for a lot of Dallas kids, black and white. Neither had much experience with the other. Things are so different now. First, these kids are no longer completely alien to each other. Second, most of the public school kids in my area are Hispanic.

This is so true. I went to nice diverse Jr. highschool (WH Atwell) during the 7th grade. I was then sent to Boude Storey which was all lower income black. I can remember stepping off the bus and the first thing I saw was burglar bars on the windows . Many fights broke out because they were not happy to see us. None of us who played football at our old school played at the new one because it pretty much hand to hand combat. It was a shocking experience.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:18 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Me too, I think it would be great if someone wrote a book about it. It's a very pretty street too.
If you have a Dallas Public Library card you can access the DMN archives up to 1977 for free via the library website.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
If you have a Dallas Public Library card you can access the DMN archives up to 1977 for free via the library website.
I'm about to move out of Dallas....will I still be able to get a card?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:37 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,594 times
Apply for it now and they won't know you've moved until you have to renew it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas