Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 07:05 PM

445 posts, read 1,809,632 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if smoking was still allowed in resturaunts or not...It is pretty strict here in CA, so was wondering if there were laws against it and what they were??

Thanks
Christina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
No smoking in Dallas restaurants, but most of the suburbs still allow it.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
I was wondering if smoking was still allowed in resturaunts or not...It is pretty strict here in CA, so was wondering if there were laws against it and what they were??

Thanks
Christina
It's strictly no smoking in restaurants in the city of Dallas, not sure about the various suburbs.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:

Thanks
Christina
I do not know why people think most suburbs allow it, I have not seen people smoking in public outside of Addison in quite a while.

Plano is a big fat NO:

Smoking Ordinance Information* (http://plano.gov/Health/smokingordinanceinfo/Pages/default.aspx - broken link)

Frisco is full of Californians so they do not allow it anymore either:

Frisco Bans Smoking At Businesses - cbs11tv.com (http://cbs11tv.com/local/frisco.texas.smoking.2.497369.html - broken link)

In Richardson it is mostly prohibited, I doubt you would take your children to bars:

Richardson City Council bans smoking in most businesses, including restaurants | pegasusnews.com | Dallas / Fort Worth

As for Allen...I remember now, there is a bar on Bethany where I have personally smoked in the last 12 months. But again I doubt you would take your children to bars. There is a restaurant in Allen where I eat sometimes that has a smoking area but it is in the bar only. You cannot smell it anywhere else in the restaurant and people with children seem to be seated on the opposite side of the restaurant in the "kiddie" section anyway.

Mesquite and Rowlett do not allow smoking in public places but Garland is one of the only remaining northern suburbs that does allow it:

Star Community Newspapers

Just google "smoking ordinance" and the name of the suburb you are interested in.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:41 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
You can still smoke in Addison, I think. They still ask "Smoking or No Smoking" when you go to a restaurant.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:37 PM

445 posts, read 1,809,632 times
Thanks so much.....Your right we won't be taking our kids to bars....

Can't wait to visit!!!!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Thanks so much.....Your right we won't be taking our kids to bars....

Can't wait to visit!!!!
Some of my favorite restaurants (some of which began as bars and some of which are chiefly bars after dark) on Greenville Ave. have become "family friendly" during the day and I get tired of getting the stink eye when I am already outdoors and I light up a cigarette. Be aware that in Dallas's "hip" districts like Uptown and Lower Greenville, you will be exposed to cigarette smoke if you choose to eat outdoors. We smokers have been banished outdoors so we have pretty much taken over all of the patios at restaurants where smoking on the patio is allowed. Consider yourself warned.

Having said that have fun in DFW; it is a great area and there is room for everyone but there is definitely a time and a place for everything, and family dining at many restaurants after 8pm on a Friday night on Greenville Avenue is really not a good idea if you want your kids to not be exposed to loud drunk adults, cussing, and cigarette smoke pouring off of the patio. But there is a Snuffer's in Plano that is totally smoke free so you can still enjoy the menu.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:17 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No smoking in Dallas restaurants, but most of the suburbs still allow it.
Uh, no. Most of the suburbs do NOT allow smoking in restaurants. Plano, Richardson, Garland, Rowlett, Rockwall, Carrollton, Lewisville, Mesquite and most of the others have ALL banned smoking in the restaurants. Some have a smoking section and they now have to have a seperate filtering system. Garland allows it in some bars and in the bar area of a restaurant IF it is sealed off practically and a different filtration system. Most just don't allow it though so they don't have the expense. A lot of restaurants that have bars that want the smokers have now invested in outdoor patio areas.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:33 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
I believe Addison is perhaps the only major holdout, but they definitely have Smoking and No Smoking Sections in most restaurants.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Addison allows it but most Dallas restaurants and bars have smoking patios or you can smoke on the regular outside patio seating areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas