U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 04:44 PM

33 posts, read 90,775 times

Advertisements

I will be working for a pretty big accounting firm in downtown Dallas in the fall and am looking for a good, safe place to live, preferably around other young professionals. I went to Georgia Tech in Atlanta so I'm used to the big city feel, but maybe after a few years will want to move out to the Dallas suburbs, so what are some good Dallas suburbs?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 04:52 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,884,230 times
You don't want to live in the suburbs if you are an yuppie. You will be bored to tears.

Look just north of downtown, in the area called Uptown. I'd look near West Village or in the Knox-Henderson area and you will be close to the bar scene and around a lot of similar young professionals. There are lots of apartments and condos in the area available and I think you'd probably want to live in the area.

The suburbs are mostly married people with families. What suburb to recommend would depend on commute time. If you want to keep it short, I'd recommend staying in Dallas and moving to the Lakewood area, North Oak Cliff/Kessler Park area, or Preston Hollow/North Dallas area. If you have a very high income, you might want to look at Highland Park/University Park (the Buckhead of Dallas, if you will), which is the wealthiest area of Dallas. You could also consider Richardson, Plano, and Frisco. These are further away from downtown and have a very suburban feel.

Good luck!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:18 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,250,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoodward3 View Post
I will be working for a pretty big accounting firm in downtown Dallas in the fall and am looking for a good, safe place to live, preferably around other young professionals. I went to Georgia Tech in Atlanta so I'm used to the big city feel, but maybe after a few years will want to move out to the Dallas suburbs, so what are some good Dallas suburbs?

Thanks!
When you are ready to go suburban in the future, don't count out the cities to the east (Garland, Mesquite, Rockwall, Rowlett, etc.) and south (Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Lancaster, northern portion of Ellis County, etc.). You can find nice neighborhoods in all of them as well.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:34 AM

4,304 posts, read 11,126,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
You don't want to live in the suburbs if you are an yuppie. You will be bored to tears.

Look just north of downtown, in the area called Uptown. I'd look near West Village or in the Knox-Henderson area and you will be close to the bar scene and around a lot of similar young professionals. There are lots of apartments and condos in the area available and I think you'd probably want to live in the area.

The suburbs are mostly married people with families. What suburb to recommend would depend on commute time. If you want to keep it short, I'd recommend staying in Dallas and moving to the Lakewood area, North Oak Cliff/Kessler Park area, or Preston Hollow/North Dallas area. If you have a very high income, you might want to look at Highland Park/University Park (the Buckhead of Dallas, if you will), which is the wealthiest area of Dallas. You could also consider Richardson, Plano, and Frisco. These are further away from downtown and have a very suburban feel.

Good luck!

Perfect advice. If your going to put roots down in Dallas you can search the various burbs to see which one fits your needs the best. I would not live in the burbs if I were a yuppie for sure.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:38 PM

33 posts, read 90,775 times
I read about Cedar Hill having a bad school system? Anyone know about this?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:20 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,384,279 times
Here are some lists from over the years about school districts. You can see how Cedar Hill compares.

School districts - Low income and TAKS averages

Just released TAKS scores - percent of exemplary schools in districts

2008 National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists 07-08

2008 Dallas Area National Merit Semifinalists, ranked by school 08-09

High schools advancing in Academic Decathlon competition

2008 Schools chosen by Valedictorians and Salutatorians by high school

2008 TAKS scores, 30 districts, ranked by score and ranked by low income percentage

2008 Exemplary and Recognized High Schools in the area

Old 05-31-2009, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 7,613 times
The Las Colinas area in Irving is good. Lots of young adults and a 20 minute drive downtown or you can take the bus. Headed downtown, it's one of the least congested traffic routes. It is an good jumping off place to get around the metroplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or