Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:09 PM

15 posts, read 28,160 times

Advertisements

I am considering accepting position in Dallas. It's near the DFW Airport. I have travelled to DFW many times over the past 7 years for work, but not for fun. I have two high age daughters (entering 9th and 11th grades), one who is very social and does well, the other who is very introverted and quirky. I struggle with the idea of uprooting them, but the cost of living and commute that I currently have, makes moving appealing. My current commute is 1 hour 20 minutes each way (I live in the Washington, DC area) So, if I was looking for a house, 200-275K, in a good school system (without huge classes or schools), Or, maybe a private school, with a decent commute (I'd like to be 40 minutes or less), low crime, and trees, where would I look? Is this possible? Oh, we have St. Bernard too. Yard is a necessity. I like Flower Mound and Grapevine, but don't necessarily want to live in a planned community. I know traffic can be a BEAR up that way. Safe is most important, as is bit of a community. My husband thinks he would like to have some land, but I think for the time being, we'll be happy to not share walls with our neighbors. I think of us as typical Americans, not labeled liberal or conservative, depends on the issue. Living in a very diverse area currently, tolerance is one of my important values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 09:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missiona View Post
I am considering accepting position in Dallas. It's near the DFW Airport. I have travelled to DFW many times over the past 7 years for work, but not for fun. I have two high age daughters (entering 9th and 11th grades), one who is very social and does well, the other who is very introverted and quirky. I struggle with the idea of uprooting them, but the cost of living and commute that I currently have, makes moving appealing. My current commute is 1 hour 20 minutes each way (I live in the Washington, DC area) So, if I was looking for a house, 200-275K, in a good school system (without huge classes or schools), Or, maybe a private school, with a decent commute (I'd like to be 40 minutes or less), low crime, and trees, where would I look? Is this possible? Oh, we have St. Bernard too. Yard is a necessity. I like Flower Mound and Grapevine, but don't necessarily want to live in a planned community. I know traffic can be a BEAR up that way. Safe is most important, as is bit of a community. My husband thinks he would like to have some land, but I think for the time being, we'll be happy to not share walls with our neighbors. I think of us as typical Americans, not labeled liberal or conservative, depends on the issue. Living in a very diverse area currently, tolerance is one of my important values.
Ok, here are my suggestions: you have mentioned Flower Mound and Grapevine, Grapevine isn't as planned as Flower Mound in my opinion but both areas are very nice. I would not hesitate moving to either and both have very good schools. The drawback, school size, most of the high schools in the area you will be looking at do have very large schools. This is Texas. As for maybe some land, you might want to consider Double Oak, which is something I have mentioned a few times in the past few weeks. It is near both Flower Mound and Grapevine. The lots are a little larger, the homes older.

You will find all the areas mentioned a mixture of conservative and liberal so you will fit in with no problems. Another area, Southlake, I am not sure about the price range though, it is inclined to be a little more pricey. Keller would be a choice as well.

I am not sure what you mean by diverse, it can mean so many things? If you are talking race, although you are going to find the areas pretty much white, middle class those who do not fit into these group certainly are not looked down on, in any way. Our grandkids swam with kids from all backgrounds and the kids based their friendships on how well they got along, not on anything else. if you are talking economics the same holds true, in most cases how much money the friends have isn't a big deal, in Southlake it might be a little more apparent.

Hope this is something for you to think about, do make the move, it will be good for everyone and it is a good time to move the younger girl. She will be starting high school just like all the other kids.

Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 09:20 AM

Coming from Washington DC, we were just as apt to see a white family or an Asian family or Muslim family at the grocery store. I just wanted a place where people don't all look and think the same. That, in and of itself, is a stereotype, but something I have encountered. I want neighbors that are friendly, but not in your business if you don't go to their church (or any church). Maybe I should start with schools. My oldest is adaptable to anything, and readily makes friends. She's pretty, popular and confident. MY youngest does not make friends easily, and has very low self-esteem. She is easily bullied, and picked on a lot. She is also prone to making outrageous statements at school (either about herself, politics, religion, etc.) which then increases the teasing, name calling, etc. She is quirky, which just aggravates the human pack mentality. In a large school, she is lost and checked out. She's very bright, wears her emotions on her sleeve, but feels like one of 2,000. (Which she is --7th and 8th grade each have about 750 kids here.) I was hoping for a good school, where both could make friends and do well, but one where all the teachers know all the kids by name (as they did when I was in school). Too much to ask in metropolitan area? I have not eliminated the idea of private school provided I can find one affordable and commutable for my youngest daughter. I have never been to Allen, Richardson, McKinney or Carrollton altough they get a lot of good write-ups. My next questions would be, to settle in that area and commute to the airport everyday would be how long of a commute (if work times were 830-5)? I assume an hour? Is pratical, or should I add more or less? If I look West or Southwest toward Parker County - what are the schools like there compared to Northwest of Dallas? I know this is a lot, and I appreciate any insight

Old 05-31-2009, 09:54 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,451 times
I think coming down from the DC area you will find that dallas is a huge change - not necessarily a bad one though.
My husband works just south of the airport and we live in carrollton (for the schools' GT program). The commute is not horrible - half an hour at the most. Diversity is a terrific plus for carrollton but the town is aging fast and there are definitely some crummy spots.
I was going to recommend Coppell as an option since their schools are good and you may be looking at the right price range for a home. However, I don't think they are very diverse and I am not sure how big the high school classes are.
My impression of things is that Northwest dallas has significantly better schools and areas than Southwest.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:55 AM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Based on the information you have given I would lean toward the Hurst/Euless/Beford area. I think it would meet all the criteria you have given. The schools in the northern burbs are going to be huge and a planned community feeling is definite. The southeastern burbs like Garland, Rowlett, Rockwall would be good fits but the commute times would be killer. To a lesser degree the same for the southern burbs. Northern Carrollton could also be a possibility.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiona View Post
Coming from Washington DC, we were just as apt to see a white family or an Asian family or Muslim family at the grocery store. I just wanted a place where people don't all look and think the same. That, in and of itself, is a stereotype, but something I have encountered. I want neighbors that are friendly, but not in your business if you don't go to their church (or any church). Maybe I should start with schools. My oldest is adaptable to anything, and readily makes friends. She's pretty, popular and confident. MY youngest does not make friends easily, and has very low self-esteem. She is easily bullied, and picked on a lot. She is also prone to making outrageous statements at school (either about herself, politics, religion, etc.) which then increases the teasing, name calling, etc. She is quirky, which just aggravates the human pack mentality. In a large school, she is lost and checked out. She's very bright, wears her emotions on her sleeve, but feels like one of 2,000. (Which she is --7th and 8th grade each have about 750 kids here.) I was hoping for a good school, where both could make friends and do well, but one where all the teachers know all the kids by name (as they did when I was in school). Too much to ask in metropolitan area? I have not eliminated the idea of private school provided I can find one affordable and commutable for my youngest daughter. I have never been to Allen, Richardson, McKinney or Carrollton altough they get a lot of good write-ups. My next questions would be, to settle in that area and commute to the airport everyday would be how long of a commute (if work times were 830-5)? I assume an hour? Is pratical, or should I add more or less? If I look West or Southwest toward Parker County - what are the schools like there compared to Northwest of Dallas? I know this is a lot, and I appreciate any insight
ok, so you are accustom to large schools, I don't think you will find those in the areas you are thinking of, as totally out of line, size wise. for instance, at Marcus High school, in Flower Mound normally there are about 700 in a graduating class. This takes in about 2 or 3 middle schools, thus it doesn't sound like they are quite as large as where you are coming from.

Carrollton might be a good location, I hadn't even thought about that, it is probably a little more diverse than say, Flower Mound. I will say, as for Muslims you will not find too many in these areas, other races and religions, yes. I do not think you want to go toward Parker County being you are looking for a more diverse area. Richardson will be a long commute, but a possibility and McKinny is a heck of a long way, plus you will find it totally the burbs.

I can't advise much about the private schools, I am sure someone else will be able to help you with that.

Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
I think coming down from the DC area you will find that dallas is a huge change - not necessarily a bad one though.
My husband works just south of the airport and we live in carrollton (for the schools' GT program). The commute is not horrible - half an hour at the most. Diversity is a terrific plus for carrollton but the town is aging fast and there are definitely some crummy spots.
I was going to recommend Coppell as an option since their schools are good and you may be looking at the right price range for a home. However, I don't think they are very diverse and I am not sure how big the high school classes are.
My impression of things is that Northwest dallas has significantly better schools and areas than Southwest.
I too thought about Coppell, but agree, what she wants in diversity she will not get. This is probably going to be one of her hardest requirements to meet. You are right, Carrollton comes pretty close.

Nita

Old 06-01-2009, 07:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I don't think if you are working close to the airport that you want the commute from some of the towns you mentioned---
HEB is very diverse area--I taught school there/lived there and it is a mix of many different ethnic groups...and from what I saw most of them exist fairly well together...

most people are friendly but not "in your business" normally...
the schools offer some of the best value for the home prices/taxes in Tarrant county and neighborhoods are very safe...
good parks/shopping/entertainment/hospitals/medical care...
lot size varies--some homes are maybe on quarter to third of acre--not many on half acre lots in HEB--and many homes are less than .25--depends on area/development
North of 183 is generally newer construction although most of HEB is avg of 15-20 yrs old...
there are areas with native trees or mature growth--not too sterile like some parts of Keller or North Richland Hills which is newer construction
some parts of North Euless are in Grapevine Colleyville ISD and some parts of Hurst/Colleyville are in Keller or Birdville ISD--school districts do not run congruent with city/county boundaries so you have to check specifically...

some parts of Carrollton are pretty run-down and while their G/T program might be really good...some other aspects of their ISD might be problamatic--just have to checks the schools/housing areas...

Old 06-01-2009, 07:19 AM

Thanks for all the info.

Are the schools in HEB (high schools) about the same size as Colleyville/Grapevine with about 2100 kids?

Old 06-01-2009, 07:35 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
HEB seems to be the best fir on price, school and commute. It's diverse enough and the HS (BELL) has a great rep with IB program etc... and active theater and band programs etc...

I would think both girls could find a niche of friends in that enviornment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas