U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2009, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,297 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Reputation: 38656

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
If you're going to consider Carrollton, put Richardson on your list too. If you're careful, you can get pretty close to Dallas and still have good schools. I'm not sure if you specifically want an apartment, but the homes there are very reasonably priced.
Yep, I would consider Richardson as well. In fact, from what the Op seems to need I think I would put Richardson and CArrollton at the top of the list. I just love the Apartment choices in Carrollton as well as the school district.

nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2009, 11:12 PM
 
Location: The Village
1,622 posts, read 3,885,259 times
Reputation: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with some of what you say, but not all of it. Actually the reason I mentioned Carrollton was because of good school and also very racially mixed but more middle class than some areas she is considering. You are right about parts of Plano. I had 2 bosses when I worked in the Dallas area, both were black, both lived in Plano and both would be considered middle class. The problem I have with your comment relates to cultural shock; It sounds like you don't know a lot about Gardena and Ontario, if so I am not sure where the cultural shock fits it? Actually I would say the same about Reseda.

Nita
California to Texas is going to be a culture shock no matter where you move. They aren't used to the heat, they aren't used to our manners, they aren't used to people making Texits on the highway, and they often think that we are still backwater and racist. Texas will take some getting used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,297 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Reputation: 38656
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
California to Texas is going to be a culture shock no matter where you move. They aren't used to the heat, they aren't used to our manners, they aren't used to people making Texits on the highway, and they often think that we are still backwater and racist. Texas will take some getting used to.
Well you have no idea how many people who have moved from Calif to Texas and had few if any problems adjusting. In fact our entire family, hubby, myself and our 3 kids re-located at different times, no real shocker to us, expect maybe the accents to a degree and of course the humidity. Oh, I agree with you on the driving as well. OMG, it is soooo different.

Alll that being said, I really feel the Dallas area is filled with so many transplants it is no more a southern city as in years before AA and GTE, to mention a few companies decided to re-locate.

It is somewhat the same here, only on a much smaller basis, almost everyone living in NWA was born somewhere else, so we don't get that true southern flavor. This isn't good or bad, just fact.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 08:40 AM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 36,254,939 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yep, I would consider Richardson as well. In fact, from what the Op seems to need I think I would put Richardson and CArrollton at the top of the list. I just love the Apartment choices in Carrollton as well as the school district.

nita


How long has it been since you have seen the apartments in Carrollton. There are VERY FEW apartments in Carrollton I'd recommend to ANYONE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 08:43 AM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 36,254,939 times
Reputation: 5787
For the OP, find a job first and THEN concentrate on where to live. You don't want to live in say Mesquite as a single mom w/ a job in Las Colinas. Garland is a good choice as it is a very good mix and great schools and it is very possible you could find a job IN Garland. Not knowing your budget makes it hard to say what apartments to concentrate on much less areas. That would really help us give you a better idea of where to look. Oh, there ARE transplants here in Garland and they do just fine .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,297 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Reputation: 38656
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

How long has it been since you have seen the apartments in Carrollton. There are VERY FEW apartments in Carrollton I'd recommend to ANYONE!!!
I have friends that live in apartments in CArrollton and the company I worked for had many of its employees living in apartments. Mostly toward the north part of Carrollton.

I think the one thing we are all overlooking, including you, is we do not have any idea what price range the OP is considering or can handle. That will make a huge difference.

I am sure unless she has very little money she would not want to live in the very most southern part of Carrollton nor in some other areas in DFW area.

You are right, the job location will most likely determine where she will live, but I think the demographics will, as well.

My opinions are based on knowing very well the three areas of So California she has lived in.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 AM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 36,254,939 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have friends that live in apartments in CArrollton and the company I worked for had many of its employees living in apartments. Mostly toward the north part of Carrollton.

I think the one thing we are all overlooking, including you, is we do not have any idea what price range the OP is considering or can handle. That will make a huge difference.
It has been a long time since some of the apartments in Carrollton that were used for short term corporate living have been used that way. Most of them have gone WAY DOWN. This includes all of the newer ones in the north part of Carrollton along Marsh Lane, Rosemeade, Frankford and such. I'm VERY familiar with them and even on a small budget if safety were of a concern for my family and I wanted something a bit nicer it can be found in other parts of the metroplex. Sadly, most of the apartments in that area have no gone to accepting Section 8.

I'm not overlooking the OP's budget. In fact I even mentioned that would play a huge part of where to give her an idea of areas to look in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 11:03 AM
 
Location: 78747
3,202 posts, read 4,713,998 times
Reputation: 915
I would recommend W.Plano
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,297 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Reputation: 38656
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
It has been a long time since some of the apartments in Carrollton that were used for short term corporate living have been used that way. Most of them have gone WAY DOWN. This includes all of the newer ones in the north part of Carrollton along Marsh Lane, Rosemeade, Frankford and such. I'm VERY familiar with them and even on a small budget if safety were of a concern for my family and I wanted something a bit nicer it can be found in other parts of the metroplex. Sadly, most of the apartments in that area have no gone to accepting Section 8.

I'm not overlooking the OP's budget. In fact I even mentioned that would play a huge part of where to give her an idea of areas to look in.
oh, I didn't mean apartments used for corp clients, I meant many of the younger people working for the company lived in these apartments because of the proximity to the company and the features the apartments offered. I don't think we are thinking of the same buildings, as I just visited friends in the area, well not just visited them, this was at Thanksgiving time. Maybe since then things have changed. I really doubt with all the 100s of complexes in the area they have all gone section 8, maybe I am wrong.

Can someone from Carrollton come here and tell us if it is true, there are no nice buildings left in North Carrollton? I think this would be a service to many.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,297 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Reputation: 38656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I would recommend W.Plano
yep, W Plano is another possibility but there are some spotty areas there as well. I guess there are spotty areas no matter where we choose to live.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top