U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:20 PM

8 posts, read 22,156 times

Advertisements

I am also considering a move to the Dallas area from Los Angeles. I am African-American native Angeleno, divorced, and a retired educator.

I have visions of living in a cottage/bungalow surrounded by flowers, trees, etc. I would love to park my car and walk to shops, places to eat, movie theatres, etc. The area would have to be in North Dallas or one of the cities you have talked about. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 01:29 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,260,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh, I didn't mean apartments used for corp clients, I meant many of the younger people working for the company lived in these apartments because of the proximity to the company and the features the apartments offered. I don't think we are thinking of the same buildings, as I just visited friends in the area, well not just visited them, this was at Thanksgiving time. Maybe since then things have changed. I really doubt with all the 100s of complexes in the area they have all gone section 8, maybe I am wrong.

Can someone from Carrollton come here and tell us if it is true, there are no nice buildings left in North Carrollton? I think this would be a service to many.

Nita
Um, I grew up there. My parents just moved from Carrollton about a year or so ago but still attend their church there every week. I'm there or thru there EVERY WEEK as well. There are not "100's of complexes" IN Carrollton either. Yes, most of them HAVE indeed gone VERY down hill. There are only a small handful left that I'd even consider living in myself of anyone for that matter. The recent shooting at the DQ on Rosemeade is very indicative of what has happened around many of the apartment complexes in Carrollton.

I did not say there were "no nice buildings left", I said the apartment complexes were not that great at all and for a single parent with two kids......... NO WAY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny withers View Post
I am also considering a move to the Dallas area from Los Angeles. I am African-American native Angeleno, divorced, and a retired educator.

I have visions of living in a cottage/bungalow surrounded by flowers, trees, etc. I would love to park my car and walk to shops, places to eat, movie theatres, etc. The area would have to be in North Dallas or one of the cities you have talked about. What do you think?

You won't find that much in the areas mentioned. A few spots in Garland & Richardson might do it SOMETIME but you won't be walking everywhere or to see a movie from any of these unless you live in one of the townhomes at Firewheel Town Center in Garland which has a movie theater and many restaurants. Just will not be a bungalow or cottage.

Try IN the City Limits of Dallas in these areas: M streets, Lake Highlands, Lakewood. These are about the ONLY spots you will be able to find the house your picturing and the lifestyle your desiring.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:32 PM

69,335 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:

Depending on your budget, North Dallas might work, but there are not many places that will fit into the vision you have.

Hope you can find what you are looking for.

Nita

Old 06-01-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Um, I grew up there. My parents just moved from Carrollton about a year or so ago but still attend their church there every week. I'm there or thru there EVERY WEEK as well. There are not "100's of complexes" IN Carrollton either. Yes, most of them HAVE indeed gone VERY down hill. There are only a small handful left that I'd even consider living in myself of anyone for that matter. The recent shooting at the DQ on Rosemeade is very indicative of what has happened around many of the apartment complexes in Carrollton.

I did not say there were "no nice buildings left", I said the apartment complexes were not that great at all and for a single parent with two kids......... NO WAY!!!!

You won't find that much in the areas mentioned. A few spots in Garland & Richardson might do it SOMETIME but you won't be walking everywhere or to see a movie from any of these unless you live in one of the townhomes at Firewheel Town Center in Garland which has a movie theater and many restaurants. Just will not be a bungalow or cottage.

Try IN the City Limits of Dallas in these areas: M streets, Lake Highlands, Lakewood. These are about the ONLY spots you will be able to find the house your picturing and the lifestyle your desiring.
wow, tell me how you really feel!! As for shootings, doesn't this happen, unfortunately in almost any mid sized town adjacent to a major city? I didn't mean literally there were 100s of apartment conplexes but there are certainly more than in most towns the size of Carrollton. Of course I didn't mean you said there were no nice buildings, but you did make it sound like the ghetto of Dallas and I really do not think that is the case. You live in the area Garland I think, you have your opinions and I think it is good we all share with each other. We can debate this forever with no one proving a point I am afraid. You mention your parents left Carrollton, I know of a couple I worked with in Dallas that left Garland when the kids were ready for school. Why because they wanted better schools. This doesn't mean they were correct, but it did mean they thought Fresco was better for them. Short of living in the inner city all towns have good features. Well, even the inner city can, if you have the money and a certain life style.

Nita

Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,885,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, tell me how you really feel!! As for shootings, doesn't this happen, unfortunately in almost any mid sized town adjacent to a major city? I didn't mean literally there were 100s of apartment conplexes but there are certainly more than in most towns the size of Carrollton. Of course I didn't mean you said there were no nice buildings, but you did make it sound like the ghetto of Dallas and I really do not think that is the case. You live in the area Garland I think, you have your opinions and I think it is good we all share with each other. We can debate this forever with no one proving a point I am afraid. You mention your parents left Carrollton, I know of a couple I worked with in Dallas that left Garland when the kids were ready for school. Why because they wanted better schools. This doesn't mean they were correct, but it did mean they thought Fresco was better for them. Short of living in the inner city all towns have good features. Well, even the inner city can, if you have the money and a certain life style.

Nita
Carrollton and FB are not what they used to be. There are definitely nice areas, but there are so many low-rent apartments and cheap taquerias now it's crazy. That is the main reason that the FB city government pushed the illegal immigrant ban so hard--to drive to drive prices up to a point they could get rid of the apartments and replace them with luxury apartments and houses.

I love FB but it's not the same even in the 10 years my family has lived here, on the far south edge of the city.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 PM

4,305 posts, read 11,129,515 times
Quote:

\

There a few area's like that but they certainly would be in the city. I suggest you take a look at North Oak Cliff. There is not movie theatre but they have everything else. I think it would be a great fit.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 PM

77 posts, read 191,150 times
Default pretty e z

Garland if u enjoy crime and great Viet cuisine.
Mesquite....well.....red necks, rap ,crack and crank.
Plano.....better have a Beamer for baby at 13.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:09 PM

77 posts, read 191,150 times
Default Yes Bunny

The other poster was right in assessing yer needs. North Oak Cliff does have a big gay population.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:59 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,260,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsez View Post
Garland if u enjoy crime and great Viet cuisine.
Mesquite....well.....red necks, rap ,crack and crank.
Plano.....better have a Beamer for baby at 13.
Wow.......... so informative NOT!

Please disregard anything someone like this may say that makes such wide blanket remarks.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Carrollton and FB are not what they used to be. There are definitely nice areas, but there are so many low-rent apartments and cheap taquerias now it's crazy. That is the main reason that the FB city government pushed the illegal immigrant ban so hard--to drive to drive prices up to a point they could get rid of the apartments and replace them with luxury apartments and houses.

I love FB but it's not the same even in the 10 years my family has lived here, on the far south edge of the city.
I love what FB did and yes, even 10 years ago some of the apartments there along Marsh were starting to attract less than desirable renters.

I know you have a clearer picture of what has happened than I do as we left 7 years ago. I still think there are some very nice apartments in the far north section of the city. I hope FB can re-group, the area around the golf course is so nice and we have several friends still living in the Country Place section of Carrollton plus our daughters best friends and good friends of ours as well live in the north part of Carrollton. They have no problems with the city.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or