U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 22,155 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. I'm new at this and it dawned on me that I took the conversation away from the LA Diva. Sorry! I did not mean to intrude or cut you off. Hope you find what you are looking for.

I am also going to look into Austin and parts of South and North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny withers View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm new at this and it dawned on me that I took the conversation away from the LA Diva. Sorry! I did not mean to intrude or cut you off. Hope you find what you are looking for.

bunny, don't worry, you were asking similar questions, no one should be upset about your chiming in here. I think there are lots of places you will be able to find what you are looking for, it may not be in Dallas, but keep researching and visiting places. We found it took visiting an area a couple of times to decide if it was what we were looking for.

Nita

Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 AM

79 posts, read 122,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny withers View Post

To bunny withers, hey you and anyone else can chime in whenever, we all are just conversing, not a problem at all

Old 06-04-2009, 11:55 AM

2,487 posts, read 5,578,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
they aren't used to people making Texits on the highway,Texas will take some getting used to.

That's for sure, I lived in So Cal from 1989-2005. I was born in Texas and lived in Weatherford, Belton, and Temple while I was here. Although I was a kid at the time I loved Texas. So I am back...but still trying to get use to the Texits the loner-ranger is speaking about.
To the OP I think Richardson will fit you best. Richardson is closely common to Ontario, Chino area just without the Mountians in the back ground. Also I would stick close to where your job is. There is many cities in between the three you posted that offer a lot as well.

Good luck to you!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
That's for sure, I lived in So Cal from 1989-2005. I was born in Texas and lived in Weatherford, Belton, and Temple while I was here. Although I was a kid at the time I loved Texas. So I am back...but still trying to get use to the Texits the loner-ranger is speaking about.
To the OP I think Richardson will fit you best. Richardson is closely common to Ontario, Chino area just without the Mountians in the back ground. Also I would stick close to where your job is. There is many cities in between the three you posted that offer a lot as well.

Good luck to you!

It's interesting that you suggested Richardson because I was there yesterday (Wednesday) and I was in that whole area from Monday through Wednesday, this was my third time touring around throughout the vicinities including Garland and Mesquite, I really got a feel for it especially related to their school and I consider it my second choice, if I don't get in somewhere in Plano, which is my first choice.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
In all honesty if you are a transplant you will fit in better in Plano or Frisco. Apartments are more expensive but there will be less of a culture shock in those areas. Garland and Mesquite are more working-class suburbs with mostly native Texans, but they also have middle class and upscale neighborhoods. Plano has working class neighborhoods with Plano natives, but the residents for the most part are transplants from outside Texas.

I have not had the opportunity to visit up in Frisco, however, it is interesting that you would mention that Plano or Frisco would be a better fit for a transplant. I guess that's why it feels so appealing, it's like the human contact is similar to the way people operate out there in Southern California, very friendly upbeat human interactions like my familiar surroundings and class of people. I really feel that I will like Richardson just as well, I see that it is very Hispanic or Latino populated which is great! I adore the Spanish culture. I have always somehow been one of the few non-hispanic people in nearly every circle of my life, job, school and community. I am a graduate of CSLA, which is probably 90% Hispanic and nearly all of my professors were of Latin descent, I'm sure we will do good in Richardson, too.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:08 PM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Diva View Post
I have not had the opportunity to visit up in Frisco, however, it is interesting that you would mention that Plano or Frisco would be a better fit for a transplant. I guess that's why it feels so appealing, it's like the human contact is similar to the way people operate out there in Southern California, very friendly upbeat human interactions like my familiar surroundings and class of people. I really feel that I will like Richardson just as well, I see that it is very Hispanic or Latino populated which is great! I adore the Spanish culture. I have always somehow been one of the few non-hispanic people in nearly every circle of my life, job, school and community. I am a graduate of CSLA, which is probably 90% Hispanic and nearly all of my professors were of Latin descent, I'm sure we will do good in Richardson, too.
Either Richardson or Plano should work for you. Where will you be working? That would make a difference I would think.

NIta

Old 06-04-2009, 02:35 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Try IN the City Limits of Dallas in these areas: M streets, Lake Highlands, Lakewood. These are about the ONLY spots you will be able to find the house your picturing and the lifestyle your desiring.
AKA East Dallas - 75206 (M-Streets/Vickery Place Cochran Heights/Henderson) and 75214 (Lakewood) and possibly Hollywood Heights (75223) - I'm not sure you would be able to walk much in LH but they are building a new 'town center' from scratch with a DART rail stop.

Around Lakewood Shopping Center sounds ideal for you. Easily walkable especially from Junius Heights and Lakewood Heights. There's a grocery (Whole Foods) all sorts of interesting restaurants, pubs, coffee houses and shops (and a winery!) a post office, theater and library - even a country club and golf course. You can also walk to Skillman-Live Oak Shopping Center and maybe Lower Greenville if you are adventurous.

75206 would allow you to walk to Lower Greenville and Knox-Henderson - also close to SMU, Mockingbird Station (shopping and DART rail).

Old 06-04-2009, 08:16 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,885,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Diva View Post
This is usually the opposite of what many Texans see transplants as! If you think California is upbeat and friendly, wait til you get here!

If you are looking for a heavily Hispanic area, Richardson and Plano aren't the right place. Certain areas have heavy Hispanic populations in those suburbs, but Richardson and Plano are only 10% Hispanic. Dallas proper is the most Hispanic area of the Metroplex, at 42% Hispanic. So if that's a concern you might want to avoid the suburbs and look in Dallas itself.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:52 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,345,778 times
Irving is also heavily populated with Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or