U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 05:29 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Rebel View Post
I'm sure the last place someone from Pittsburgh, Greenbay, New York and Los Angeles would like to go to is North Texas in January - or anytime for that matter.
Well the Super Bowl is not in January.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,333,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Depends on what the NFLs priorities are ? It's my understanding that the Cowboys stadium in Tarrant county is not just the biggest in total seat capacity, but also in corporate suites, so probably playing the game in Cowboys' stadium maximizes gate revenues which is no small factor.
On the other hand, the weather forcast for North Texas is not good this week, but fortunately it's gonna clear off and be nice for gameday. The thing is a lot of people from the north go to the SB when its in FLA or Arizona or California in part to get a break from the cold and play golf and lay on the beach and they won't appreciate seeing cold weather in Texas. I guess it just depends on what the league priooritizes ?
And BTW, there's a lot of things to do in North Texas, so lose the hateful attitude. It's just better to do it during a time of the year/climate when
the weather is better.
In all honestly there isn't much to do in North Texas besides shop in Dallas or go to the Gaylord Resort in Grapevine.

Most out of staters find Texas pretty boring, actually.

If I was from out of state visiting for Super Bowl I wouldn't be the least bit interested in seeing where JFK was assassinated.

As far as Dallas being ugly, well...its not ugly, but its not beautiful either. I can find some beautiful things to like about it like its gleaming glass towers & brightly lit night skyline. Some inner city neighborhoods are also quite beautiful, but the fact remains Dallas is still a sprawling Sun Belt city with endless strip malls, freeways, & big box stores. The lack of trees & greenery is also a turn off for me. Winter time in Dallas everything is brown & dead looking. In summer the grass turns hay yellow & large grass fires are very common. Something as simple as a catalytic converter on a car or tossed cigarette can start one in an instant.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-01-2011 at 12:19 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 12:35 AM
JJG

12,895 posts, read 18,402,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
In all honestly there isn't much to do in North Texas besides shop in Dallas or go to the Gaylord Resort in Grapevine.

If I was from out of state visiting for Super Bowl I wouldn't be the least bit interested in seeing where JFK was assassinated.

As far as Dallas being ugly, well...its not ugly, but its not beautiful either. I can find some beautiful things to like about it like its gleaming glass towers & brightly lit night skyline. Some inner city neighborhoods are also quite beautiful, but the fact remains Dallas is still a sprawling Sun Belt city with endless strip malls, freeways, & big box stores. The lack of trees & greenery is also a turn off for me. Winter time in Dallas everything is brown & dead looking. In summer the grass turns hay yellow & large grass fires are very common. Something as simple as a catalytic converter on a car or tossed cigarette can start one in an instant.
Wow, really.... ?

Old 02-01-2011, 05:24 AM

1,681 posts, read 3,046,201 times
Quote:
Quote:
Cavanaugh Flight Museum
Dallas County Historical Plaza
Dallas Heritage Village at Old City Park
Dallas Museum of Art
Dallas Zoo
Fair Park
Meadows Museum of Art
Nasher Sculpture Center
Swiss Avenue Historic District
Perot Museum of Nature & Science
The Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Garden
The Dallas World Aquarium
The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza
Trammell & Margaret Crow Collection of Asian Art
Amon Carter Museum of Western Art
Bass Performance Hall
Cowtown Cattlepen Maze
Fire Station No. 1/150 Years of Fort Worth Exhibit
Fort Worth Botanic & Japanese Gardens
Fort Worth Museum of Science and History
Fort Worth Zoo
Kimbell Art Museum
Log Cabin Village
Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth
National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame
Sid Richardson Museum
Stockyards Museum
Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame
Thistle Hill House Museum
Louis Tussaud's Palace of Wax & Ripley's Believe It or Not
Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
Legends of the Game Baseball Museum
LEGOLAND Discovery Center
Sea Life Aquarium
Six Flags Hurricane Harbor
Six Flags Over Texas

Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 AM

967 posts, read 1,555,889 times
Quote:

Great post! And to think, how much I normally can't stand your obtuse blabbering...

I know you love Houston, but lets face it, it's a dump in many parts. Yes, it's an artistic, quirky, cultured dump with friendlier, more interesting people and is the closest that Texas has to a real city, and is in a better natural setting than Dallas, but that's not saying much.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 AM

35 posts, read 51,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ise_66 View Post
Thanks for the info. The pics are lovely and they convey that Dallas is not beutiful and nature is not the strong point but there are some good things also.
What about weekend trips etc? What can we do as a family for some outings. Is it true that DIsney is coming near Dallas? Is it true that Sea world is in San Antonio?
surely you know that Sea World is in San Antonio don't you? and just to confirm Houston is OK but Dallas is better..

Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,001,076 times
I spent a total of not quite 7 years as a young adult in Fort Worth, so was not infrequently also over in Dallas, also lived in Dallas for a couple of years as a child, and occasionally drove up to the Dallas-Fort Worth-Denton area during my many years in Austin, since my late mother was living in Denton at the time. I really must say that North Texas is one of the least attractive to downright ugly areas of Texas, although I think the Red River Valley is worse. Living in the Metroplex you get used to the flat, broad buff-coloured homogeneity of the area, but moving or visiting from Austin or returning there from a couple of years living in Colorado, the Metroplex is pretty awful looking. Dallas has a few pretty areas but these are largely attributable to longstanding trees and shrubbery planted by humans, e.g. Turtle Creek area, landscaping around Highland Park. Likewise, in Fort Worth the Trinity Park area is pretty nice. Denton seems to have a few low-lying naturally wooded areas but is otherwise much the same as DFW. In western Denton County - an area where my grandparents' ranch was located - the countryside becomes a little more rolling, with wooded stretches around the creekbeds, but otherwise rolling prairie-grassland (this is west of Justin and in the direction toward Wise County). Frankly, I don't think most of Texas west of Tyler or north of the Hill Country or east of the Davis Mtns is significantly better looking or more topographically interesting than Dallas, and some of it is a lot worse. I guess I have to correct myself to say that some of the rugged country of the Caprock Escarpment is also topographically noteworthy, starting substantially west of Fort Worth and ending at about Post before you get onto the South Plains area. Apart from that, there are some little micro-environments like the Palo Pinto "Mtns" (actually hills) around Mineral Wells and the rolling horse country around Stephenville. But everything up and down the I-35 corridor north of Austin is awfully boring visually and then south of San Antonio you get into some more horrible country, like the whole King Ranch area. Most of West Texas is naturally ugly, with the exception of their much-boasted sunsets. As previously noted, the Red River Valley - towns like Vernon, etc - are horribly ugly, and indeed everything north of Dallas is pretty horrible: think Sherman (ugh!).

Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 AM

956 posts, read 1,247,546 times
Quote:
I find the wide open expanse, the vistas of the prairie country of North Texas appealing, maybe it's because I love the West and the Great Plains prairie country is really the beginning of the West. One can see forever, and I like that. Nobodys hemmed in and confined.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,333,094 times
Quote:
I find the wide open expanse, the vistas of the prairie country of North Texas appealing, maybe it's because I love the West and the Great Plains prairie country is really the beginning of the West. One can see forever, and I like that. Nobodys hemmed in and confined.
You know its funny, my grandfathers father used to say the same thing. He lived in Dallas for much of his life too.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-01-2011 at 12:31 PM..

Old 02-01-2011, 12:15 PM
JJG

12,895 posts, read 18,402,938 times
Quote:
You can actually get a good view of the prairie just right outside my old high school in southwest Fort Worth...

I gotta get a sunset view when I get back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or