U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2011, 10:31 AM

108 posts, read 194,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I am talking about T-E-X-A-S!
Then why did you say "no river?" Nice save though.

When I had some out of state visitors last summer, they were understandably perplexed why we would build such a pretentious bridge over what looks like a glorified drainage canal.

Last edited by hstfan82; 02-03-2011 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,943,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hstfan82 View Post
Then why did you say "no river?" Nice save though.

When I had some out of state visitors last summer, they were understandably perplexed why we will build such a pretentious bridge over what looks like a glorified drainage canal at best.
I am talking about Texas. Why would I talk about another state?

They are going to build lakes under the bridge. Do you live in Dallas? Our water comes from this "glorified creek".

Old 02-03-2011, 10:53 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,800,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
What do you think navigable mean?

Navigable-deep and wide enough to provide passage to ships.
Definition of NAVIGABLE

a : deep enough and wide enough to afford passage to ships <navigable waterways>

b
: capable of being navigated

: capable of being steered

see 1b. Many of the rivers in Texas can be "navigated" through on different types of boats such as air boats, kayaks, jon boats, etc.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Definition of NAVIGABLE

a : deep enough and wide enough to afford passage to ships <navigable waterways>

b

see 1b. Many of the rivers in Texas can be "navigated" through on different types of boats such as air boats, kayaks, jon boats, etc.
I am not talking about small boats! I am talking about large ships.

The Trinity River isn't navigable! For a river to be navigable you cannot have rocks, trees, and many other things blocking the water way.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:04 AM

229 posts, read 365,534 times
lol

Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,592,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Definition of NAVIGABLE

b

Oh come on, you know what he meant by navigable. My pool is navigable as well.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,229,630 times
The Pedant Patrol is out in full swing, it seems.

That or those woefully ill-equipped for basic reading comprehension.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:15 PM

12,535 posts, read 13,853,986 times
I'm wondering if any of you have ever seen a detailed map of the Trinity River? It has way too many curly cues, zig zaps, & dumps into several large lakes to be navigable by anything. Not to mention its not deep or wide enough.

They tried to make it to where large ships could go from Dallas to the Gulf & it FAILED...miserably This is evident in the one large bridge that crosses Highway 31 in Trinidad, Texas between Athens & Corsicana. I've crossed it many times.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:19 PM

8,968 posts, read 8,686,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I'm wondering if any of you have ever seen a detailed map of the Trinity River? It has way too many curly cues, zig zaps, & dumps into several large lakes to be navigable by anything. Not to mention its not deep or wide enough.

They tried to make it to where large ships could go from Dallas to the Gulf & it FAILAD...miserably This is evident in the one large bridge that crosses Highway 31 in Trinity, Texas between Athens & Corsicana.
Or it just cost WAY too much money, so they decided to not go through with the project. And it was much cheaper to have ships arrive in Houston and truck whatever goods needed to be sent to DFW.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

They tried to make it to where large ships could go from Dallas to the Gulf & it FAILAD...miserably This is evident in the one large bridge that crosses Highway 31 in Trinidad, Texas between Athens & Corsicana.
They voted against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas