U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM

12,245 posts, read 12,316,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Or it just cost WAY too much money, so they decided to not go through with the project. And it was much cheaper to have ships arrive in Houston and truck whatever goods needed to be sent to DFW.
"Plans for a shipping channel along the length of the Trinity River were scrapped because it would have required extensive dredging to make the river navigable, although several overpasses were built at very high clearances in anticipation of the shipping channel."

Old 02-03-2011, 11:27 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,249,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hstfan82 View Post
Then why did you say "no river?" Nice save though.

When I had some out of state visitors last summer, they were understandably perplexed why we would build such a pretentious bridge over what looks like a glorified drainage canal.
Yeah, those things are pretty tacky and pretentious. I know they're a part of a larger scale project, but it simply does not look natural for a city with no real waterfront.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:32 AM

Only one of the three originally planned bridges in Dallas is being built.

Funds were never secured before the project took off the ground, that plus the planned toll road was rejected by Dallasites & the levees are in such poor shape.

Its going to look tacky just having one large bridge with 2 or 3 dinky old bridges next to it.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM

1,519 posts, read 3,369,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Funds were never secured before the project took off the ground, that plus the planned toll road was rejected by Dallasites & the levees are in such poor shape.
Man, you are so incredibly clueless about Dallas it literally boggles my mind. The funds have been secured and the project is being built -- albeit a lot slower than I'd like. And the toll road was approved by referendum YEARS ago.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:37 AM

8,756 posts, read 7,825,982 times
They should have rebuilt the I-30 or I-35E bridge first before the Woodall Rogers one that leads to nowhere (there is nothing along Singleton Boulevard but some warehouses and light industry). It looks cool all lit up for the Super Bowl (along with Dallas' skyline), though. The Museum Tower being built on police and firefighter retirement funds (when the Dallas condo market is pretty saturated) is another one, but I'm not going to get into that.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,357,807 times
The Trinity River near downtown has a man-made channel. That's why the river looks so straight. The river was very close to downtown but it was moved the create the flood plains and levees.

The Trinity River in 1954

The Trinity River in 1994

Old 02-03-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Its going to look tacky just having one large bridge with 2 or 3 dinky old bridges next to it.
They cannot build anything until the levees are fixed! Yes, they have the funds.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:45 AM

8,756 posts, read 7,825,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
They cannot build anything until the levees are fixed! Yes, they have the funds.
You sure, because I remember reading that funds weren't secure. It's a reason why the Trinity Tollroad was taken off the project, right? Maybe you have more information.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Man, you are so incredibly clueless about Dallas it literally boggles my mind. The funds have been secured and the project is being built -- albeit a lot slower than I'd like. And the toll road was approved by referendum YEARS ago.
So secure they need volunteers & are taking donations right?

Trinity (http://www.trinityrivercorridor.org/html/project_opportunities.html - broken link)

Until I see 3 separate "bridges to no where" rise I'll continue to have my doubts about the whole thing.

If Dallas can make it a reality, I'm happy for them.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-03-2011 at 12:27 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
They should have rebuilt the I-30 or I-35E bridge first before the Woodall Rogers one that leads to nowhere (there is nothing along Singleton Boulevard but some warehouses and light industry). It looks cool all lit up for the Super Bowl (along with Dallas' skyline), though. The Museum Tower being built on police and firefighter retirement funds (when the Dallas condo market is pretty saturated) is another one, but I'm not going to get into that.
They only had funding for the Margaret Hunt Hill bridge at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas