U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 AM

69,335 posts, read 79,508,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdallasson View Post
where in dallas do you live that walking the streets is scary? Dallas is actually more walkable then people give it credit for (in the city at least) people just decide not to walk. Its not that you CANT walk to the store, restaurant, bar, etc. its just that people decide a 1 minute drive makes more sense than a 5 minute walk...even the transplants who get to complain about it all the time
I agree, it depends on what time I guess. I will admit, when we lived in Lewisville and walked about 5:30 to 5:45 am it might be a little scary as there were no walkers that early. But when it was light I never felt scared.

Nita

Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,885,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
In the Dallas area we do have Six Flags and then NUMEROUS water parks: NRH2O, Hawaiian Falls (Garland & The Colony), Bahama Beach, Hurricane Harbor (across from Six Flags), Wet Zone and MANY more.
They also have a location in Mansfield now as well! Bahama Beach was called "Hawaiian Falls Dallas" for a couple years as well.

I've only been to the one in The Colony. Does anyone know if they're very similar or not?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 PM

808 posts, read 3,210,906 times
Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels is well worth the trip as well.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:37 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,885,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree, it depends on what time I guess. I will admit, when we lived in Lewisville and walked about 5:30 to 5:45 am it might be a little scary as there were no walkers that early. But when it was light I never felt scared.

Nita
I am scared to walk in my neighborhood but it's not for fear of being shot, it's for fear of being run over by another crazy Texas driver (someone who drives like I do).

Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 PM

77 posts, read 191,150 times
Default Classic reply

Only whiskey at tha sallons too. Miss Kitty will have it no other way. To think...comin'n from....Wiscon-sun lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrres View Post
They forgot the rotting cow carcasses in the streets when the temp rises above 110, the tumbleweeds and the saloon that they insistently won't update.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
I am scared to walk in my neighborhood but it's not for fear of being shot, it's for fear of being run over by another crazy Texas driver (someone who drives like I do).
that's why I liked to walk early, the crazies were still sleeping.

Now, living here, I wouldn't walk that early cause we have too many wild creatures that like to wander around before it gets light. The first time a armadillo, deer, fox or ground hog ran in front of me, I would be back in the house faster than I have moved in my life.

Nita

Old 06-02-2009, 08:29 AM

4,305 posts, read 11,129,515 times
Someday I will have to take a picture of the rolling hills in Cedar Hill while traveling down I-20. That would end all of the nonsense about Dallas not being green. There is no better view in Dallas IMHO.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:34 PM

191 posts, read 505,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ise_66 View Post
HI

I am planning to move from Milwaukee, WI to Dallas and am used to seeing green trees and going out for walks etc in the Summer. Also I can go to short weekend trips to Chicago and WI dells.
How is Dallas comparable. I have a wife and 2 kids....in elementary school. What kind of family fun places/things are there?
I am told that Dallas is insipid, colorless, boring, dull and concrete place. Is that true?
Hi ise.

I did the reverse. Moved from Dallas to Milwaukee!

Well, I'll be honest with you. Dallas is not super scenic, but I am homesick. For what you don't have in one place, you'll get in another.

Milwaukee has so much gorgeous historical architecture. Dallas, not so much. Down there, they tear everything down to build malls and parking lots. To get a fix, go to Fair Park for some cool deco stuff. As far as the early 1900s buildings like Milwaukee has, they really don't exist anymore. But to find a cute bungalow like those in say, Wauwatosa, try Lakewood or Lower Greenville.

Dallas does have parks, but be ready for the heat. Imagine the worst August can throw at you in Milwaukee, and multiply it. In Texas, you can begin working in a garden on a weekend here and there in February. March and April are relatively nice, but by May, all you're going to want to do is hibernate inside in the air conditioning (Almost like February up here, but the reverse!). This will continue until about Halloween. That is when you will finally be able to walk outside, inhale, and not pass out from the heat.

White Rock Lake is nice for family activities- picnics and such. I prefer the Fort Worth Zoo to the one in Dallas. And there is plenty of other stuff to do in Texas, but you're going to have to drive to everything. I think the distance from Milwaukee to the Dells would probably be about like that from Dallas to San Antonio (the Alamo, Sea World, and the Riverwalk), Austin is a little less (live music, and the Hill Country nearby. Take the kids to the Schlitterbahn. It's not the super waterparks like the Dells, but it WILL keep you cool in the summer!). Remember that Six Flags is in nearby Arlington.

When you bemoan the fact that there are no Friday Fish Fries, go to Chuy's and dig on the Tex-Mex, reveling that you are in Texas. That's the main thing I miss about home!

PM me if you have any questions. I lived in Texas (Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Denton, and Rio Grande Valley) for 40 years before I moved up here.

Good luck in your new place!
CC

Old 06-02-2009, 03:36 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,031,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
As far as the early 1900s buildings like Milwaukee has, they really don't exist anymore.
I'm not sure what Milwaukee has, but Downtown Dallas still has lots of buildings from the early 20th Century. There's the West End Historic District, the Adolphus Hotel, the flagship Neiman Marcus, the Majestic Theatre, the Old Red Courthouse (now a museum), the old Municipal Building on Harwood St. and countless others built up through the 1920's.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
I'm not sure what Milwaukee has, but Downtown Dallas still has lots of buildings from the early 20th Century. There's the West End Historic District, the Adolphus Hotel, the flagship Neiman Marcus, the Majestic Theatre, the Old Red Courthouse (now a museum), the old Municipal Building on Harwood St. and countless others built up through the 1920's.
too many people never get out of their own little world. You are right, there is a lot to see. Outside of Dallas, we love Waxahachie's town center and old city hall.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or