Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 04:45 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,923 times

Advertisements

To answer the OP's question, I think it is safe to say that Dallas is a beautiful city, in my honest opinion.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:18 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
White Rock Lake is nice for family activities- picnics and such. I prefer the Fort Worth Zoo to the one in Dallas. And there is plenty of other stuff to do in Texas, but you're going to have to drive to everything. I think the distance from Milwaukee to the Dells would probably be about like that from Dallas to San Antonio (the Alamo, Sea World, and the Riverwalk), Austin is a little less (live music, and the Hill Country nearby. Take the kids to the Schlitterbahn. It's not the super waterparks like the Dells, but it WILL keep you cool in the summer!). Remember that Six Flags is in nearby Arlington.
Amusement Today - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Schlitterbahn has been rated as the best waterpark in the country for the past eleven years. The place is HUGE!

The biggest waterpark in Dallas is Hurricane Harbor across from Six Flags. It can be fun and has a lot for people of all ages, but the lines can get pretty long. There are also smaller waterparks located in many of the suburbs that don't have as many attractions, but have shorter lines and cheaper prices. One major example is the Hawaiian Falls chain.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:10 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Someday I will have to take a picture of the rolling hills in Cedar Hill while traveling down I-20. That would end all of the nonsense about Dallas not being green. There is no better view in Dallas IMHO.
Cedar Hill is not IN the City of Dallas. Most of the green areas of Dallas are in the much older parts of town & around the many lakes & waterways around the area.

I just saw on the Channel 8 news tonight where Dallas wastefully uses more water than any other city in Texas They're now trying to take our beautiful lakes over here in East Texas its gotten so bad.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:55 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Cedar Hill is not IN the City of Dallas. Most of the green areas of Dallas are in the much older parts of town & around the many lakes & waterways around the area.

I just saw on the Channel 8 news tonight where Dallas wastefully uses more water than any other city in Texas They're now trying to take our beautiful lakes over here in East Texas its gotten so bad.
I saw that too. What drives me really mad is I'm still seeing people running their sprinklers when it's pouring down rain, for instance. I don't get that. Even if you're not a "greenie" I'd think you'd at least want to save some money? It's not all private homeowners either but also businesses.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:50 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I couldn't agree more. Last March I visited Dallas and stayed with my buddy out in Frisco, where it was still very brown--although the trees were budding. However when we went into the City, neighborhoods like Knox-Henderson, Uptown, and Lakewood were pretty lush and green. Knox-Henderson, Park Cities, and North Oak Cliff are very lush areas that remind me a little of the tree canopy that we have here in Atlanta.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
I couldn't agree more. Last March I visited Dallas and stayed with my buddy out in Frisco, where it was still very brown--although the trees were budding. However when we went into the City, neighborhoods like Knox-Henderson, Uptown, and Lakewood were pretty lush and green. Knox-Henderson, Park Cities, and North Oak Cliff are very lush areas that remind me a little of the tree canopy that we have here in Atlanta.
If you think those areas of Dallas reminded you of Atlanta, you should see Houston, aesthetically its almost a splitting image of Atlanta with all the tall pine trees plus the addition of tropical foliage which neither Dallas or Atlanta have on any grand scale. With mild temperatures year round Houston stays green.

I think its safe to say that parts of the Dallas area are green with a very short tree canopy compared to Houston or Atlanta. During the winter months however, Dallas does indeed turn an ugly brown.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-03-2009 at 09:37 AM..

Old 06-03-2009, 11:55 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Not all parts of Houston have the trees..keet that in mind. And the trees are pretty tall around my part of Dallas. We have to buy only shade plants:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/382/6462westlake.png (broken link)

Old 06-03-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Not all parts of Houston have the trees..keet that in mind.
Trust me, I've lived in both cities so I know. Houston is by far more green than Dallas is. True, not all parts of Houston have the tall pine trees, but north of I-10 (over half of Houston) is where the Piney Woods of East/Southeast Texas starts. I was in Kemah a few days ago & saw several groupings of mature pine trees all the way down there in Clear Lake & League City.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
If you drive out Westheimer the first trees you are going to see are at Gessner.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:48 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
If you drive out Westheimer the first trees you are going to see are at Gessner.

Westheimer is a major commercial artery. There aren't going to be many trees on that stretch of road anyhow.

River Oaks, which is off Westheimer, well to the east of Gessner has lots of trees. The neighborhoods off between Briar Forest and Westheimer west of Voss, east of Gessner are full of tall trees too.

IIRC, the parts of metro Houston that didn't have that many trees were the newer subdivisions cropping up on former farmland in Katy, Pearland, Mo City, etc.

I will say that Houston's tree canopy seems taller (because of the pines) and more verdant than Dallas. But Houston is at the tail end of the Piney Woods, Dallas is on the plains. Two different climatic zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas