Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Give me an eclectic mix of piney woods, tropical vegetation, 100 year old Live Oaks with Spanish Moss hanging from the limbs, bayou's, & coastal plains any day over Dallas & North Texas' sparsely green scrub brush like landscape. Dallas' only dense vegetation is found around the creek beds & inner city neighborhoods where the trees were planted decades ago.
Since when does an abundance of trees necessarily equal all around attractiveness? Never, IMO. Especially in Houston's case.

So give me Dallas' clean, sterile, slightly more urban infrastructure, better planned neighborhoods, crisp Midwestern/Upper South atmosphere, more appealing street level architecture, fall color and rolling terrain over Houston's swampy, sloppy, soggy, disorganized, 80s-boom-looking, tacky-Deco-concrete-laden set up, and crooked, dead looking jungle trees ANY DAY...and twice on Sunday

It's so unfortunate for Houston. Being such an awesome city with awesome people, wrapped in such a godforsaken package.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You can actually get a good view of the prairie just right outside my old high school in southwest Fort Worth...

I gotta get a sunset view when I get back home.
You get a great view of Fort Worth coming in from the West (Weatherford) on I-20 (before getting to 820W). I guess I-20 sits up high and you can see Fort Worth below. Cool view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Since when does an abundance of trees necessarily equal all around attractiveness? Never, IMO. Especially in Houston's case.

So give me Dallas' clean, sterile, slightly more urban infrastructure, better planned neighborhoods, crisp Midwestern/Upper South atmosphere, more appealing street level architecture, fall color and rolling terrain over Houston's swampy, sloppy, soggy, disorganized, 80s-boom-looking, tacky-Deco-concrete-laden set up, and crooked, dead looking jungle trees ANY DAY...and twice on Sunday

It's so unfortunate for Houston. Being such an awesome city with awesome people, wrapped in such a godforsaken package.
And people wonder why Houstonians.....nevermind. AlGreen is the San Antonio version of Metro Matt. Give me Houston's multiple landscapes (beaches, prairies, rolling prairie, swamps, pine forests), better urban infrastructure (not sure what you're talking about), vibrancy, laid-back Gulf Coastal/true Southern atmosphere, and big city feel over Dallas' sterile, clean, Midwestern look, with less of a big city feel due to the large suburbs. Some people like Dallas' feel and look, while others like Houston. The labels you tried to put on Houston though are just funny. Like I said, the SA version of MM.

Last edited by Trae713; 02-02-2011 at 04:00 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,435 times
Dallas is always at the top of the ugly list - check out this link.

[url=http://www.the33tv.com/news/kdaf-dallas-ugliest-city-story,0,5339737.story]Dallas Tops Ugly List - KDAF[/url]

Houston is much prettier. The towers in Houston are far more sophisticated and the landscape in a lot more attractive. I-35 in Dallas is uglier than anything in Houston. So is Riverfront Blvd and the Harry Hines eyesore.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
And people wonder why Houstonians.....nevermind. AlGreen is the San Antonio version of Metro Matt. Give me Houston's multiple landscapes (beaches, prairies, rolling prairie, swamps, pine forests), better urban infrastructure (not sure what you're talking about), vibrancy, laid-back Gulf Coastal/true Southern atmosphere, and big city feel over Dallas' sterile, clean, Midwestern look, with less of a big city feel due to the large suburbs. Some people like Dallas' feel and look, while others like Houston. The labels you tried to put on Houston though are just funny. Like I said, the SA version of MM.
Says the disgruntled Houstonian (or wherever you from). Yeah, okay, I'll be the SA version of Metro Matt...considering the fact that I've never stood up for or had anything positive to say about Houston (end sarcasm). But I forgot that you all won't tolerate opinions that aren't your own.

The "labels" I put on Houston are exactly the impression that city gives me, and has given me for years. Probably before some of you were even born.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Says the disgruntled Houstonian (or wherever you from). Yeah, okay, I'll be the SA version of Metro Matt...considering the fact that I've never stood up for or had anything positive to say about Houston (end sarcasm). But I forgot that you all won't tolerate opinions that aren't your own.

The "labels" I put on Houston are exactly the impression that city gives me, and has given me for years. Probably before some of you were even born.
You'd be surprised to know that Metro Matt has given Dallas props before, too. Like I said, you're the SA version of him. Almost always negative about Houston. Over the top. As if Houston has no quality in its landscape, but somehow DFW does. Spend more time in both places and you won't see that big of a difference. Once you get off of the freeways in both metro areas (you should probably do this), they look almost identical, tbh.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
You'd be surprised to know that Metro Matt has given Dallas props before, too. Like I said, you're the SA version of him. Almost always negative about Houston. Over the top. As if Houston has no quality in its landscape, but somehow DFW does. Spend more time in both places and you won't see that big of a difference. Once you get off of the freeways in both metro areas (you should probably do this), they look almost identical, tbh.
To YOU they are. I don't know what it is with y'all and not understanding that people have different perceptions of what's attractive. Every individual responds differently to what they see. But I've never been off of the freeways because I don't think they look exactly the same. Please spare me. The two cities sit in completely different regions of the state with different trees and terrain, so obviously they do not look identical.

So if you want to say I'm like MM, fine. Lash out in any way you see fit, bro. But the fact of the matter is, despite what "positive" things he may have said, Matt despises Dallas and pretty much every thing about it. I don't feel anything like that towards Houston. Not even close. But I've always made it known that I don't care for the cityscape of Houston. That's never been a secret for as long as I've been posting here, so I don't know why y'all act all surprised. All we're talking about is aesthetics. Nothing more.

Houston is not an attractive city to AlGreen. If you don't like it, that's not my problem.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
To YOU they are. I don't know what it is with y'all and not understanding that people have different perceptions of what's attractive. Every individual responds differently to what they see. But I've never been off of the freeways because I don't think they look exactly the same. Please spare me. The two cities sit in completely different regions of the state with different trees and terrain, so obviously they do not look identical.

So if you want to say I'm like MM, fine. Lash out in any way you see fit, bro. But the fact of the matter is, despite what "positive" things he may have said, Matt despises Dallas and pretty much every thing about it. I don't feel anything like towards Houston. Not even close. But I've always made it known that I don't care for the cityscape of Houston. That's never been a secret for as long as I've been posting here, so I don't know why y'all act all surprised. All we're talking about is aesthetics. Nothing more.

Houston is not an attractive city to AlGreen. If you don't like it, that's not my problem.
There is a difference between having different opinions and completely trashing a place, which is what you did. And who cares if they sit in differet regions of the state? Both are built on a lot of prairie and the build on those prairies look almost identical, once you are off of the freeways. You could have simply said you didn't care for the landscape in Houston, instead of going on a MM-like tirade and completely bash Houston's landscape, as if there is no quality to it.

LMAO, you talk in third person.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:01 PM

86 posts, read 199,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Exactly, & it will be about 70 feet shorter than Dallas' tallest. It was originally supposed to be 900 feet tall.

70 feet is not noticable to the untrained eye especially when you're looking up at both of them from street level or even from a distance.

I could tell, but your average Joe couldn't.
Why would you even bring up this point? The towers are hundreds of miles apart, no one will ever see them next to each other so it doesn't matter if "average Joe" can tell if they are the same height or not.

BUT, since you did bring it up let's put your beloved Houston in the mix. JPMorgan Chase tower is 1,002 feet, BoA Plaza is 921 feet. A mere 81 feet of difference. If you put the two next to each other, "average Joe" probably couldn't tell the difference in height. This too is a pointless observation because they will never be next to each other.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:12 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,256 times
I think DFW and Houston are both attractive. I obviously prefer DFW's concrete jungle over Houston's version, but it is what it is.

A lot of people will talk about how flat Dallas or Houston are. Neither are truly flat. Flat is West Texas. Lubbock and Midland are flat. Ironically, I think west Texas's dry, barren, flat earth is downright beautiful for the most part. Most would disagree. I love the unobstructed view of the flat horizen and the sunsets it produces. I love the drive from flat-as-a-pancake Odessa to the abrupt mountainous region of Alpine/Marfa. I actually wouldn't mind if Dallas was as flat as West Texas.

I gues what I'm trying to say is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and trying to say if Houston or Dallas is "prettier" is a waste of time.

(Dallas is more attractive, BTW )

Old 02-02-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
There is a difference between having different opinions and completely trashing a place, which is what you did. And who cares if they sit in differet regions of the state? Both are built on a lot of prairie and the build on those prairies look almost identical, once you are off of the freeways. You could have simply said you didn't care for the landscape in Houston, instead of going on a MM-like tirade and completely bash Houston's landscape, as if there is no quality to it.

LMAO, you talk in third person.
Actually, there isn't because "trashing" a place is still an utterance of one's opinion. Nothing I stated earlier could have been misconstrued as fact and I didn't present it as such.

I made a statement about Dallas and Houston, and Matt went into detail about how he felt different in an effort to downplay my opinion, so I did the same. Now I admit my response was a bit colorful, and while it was meant to be more tongue-in-cheek than anything, it was still honest. I didn't say anything out of spite (which is what you seem to be suggesting). So again, if you don't like it, that's your problem.

If Houston and Dallas look even "almost identical" to you, then I'm sorry, but you really need to adjust your observation skills. Because they simply do not look alike. I've been down this road before with a salty Houstonian, and I don't care to go down it again. Whether you suffer from an inferiority complex or simply can't take anyone saying anything you perceive as being negative about the city you love, I can't say; but it seems to be a personal, Scarface/HtownLove problem. Don't take it out on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas