Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 10:01 PM

229 posts, read 605,189 times

Advertisements

Fair enough. But maybe it's his opinion that Dallas' appearance really is that much better than Houston's. As it's mine, according to the areas I've been to (downtown/uptown of both).

I feel like the walkability of Dallas in certain neighborhoods is way better than Houston's comparable neighborhoods. I'm sure you won't agree, but that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. However, it's why I moved to Dallas, because right out of school, I had offers to both cities with the same company. I had no ties to either city, so I was unbiased. The fact that Houston has way more/taller skyscrapers had no bearing on my decision, because frankly I don't care about that. It doesn't always translate into street life, which did factor into my decision. Of course, Dallas has a long long way to go, but even just living in uptown for 2.5 years, I've seen a huge growth of people move in. Hopefully it continues.

Really, I'm just tired of seeing trolls on this board bash Dallas for no reason. I don't visit the Houston board to do this, and I have no intentions to. The Dallas board has turned into a cesspool.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,349,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codytravers View Post
Fair enough. But maybe it's his opinion that Dallas' appearance really is that much better than Houston's. As it's mine, according to the areas I've been to (downtown/uptown of both).

I feel like the walkability of Dallas in certain neighborhoods is way better than Houston's comparable neighborhoods. I'm sure you won't agree, but that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. However, it's why I moved to Dallas, because right out of school, I had offers to both cities with the same company. I had no ties to either city, so I was unbiased. The fact that Houston has way more/taller skyscrapers had no bearing on my decision, because frankly I don't care about that. It doesn't always translate into street life, which did factor into my decision. Of course, Dallas has a long long way to go, but even just living in uptown for 2.5 years, I've seen a huge growth of people move in. Hopefully it continues.

Really, I'm just tired of seeing trolls on this board bash Dallas for no reason. I don't visit the Houston board to do this, and I have no intentions to. The Dallas board has turned into a cesspool.
I see what you're saying. I used to fire back at the trolls more when I was a new member; then I realized, they're only criticizing the Dallas-Fort Worth area because it's close to their hearts and minds. Almost like an obsession to them.

You don't see alot of DFW people crashing the Houston forum because; no offense to Houston, many DFW people don't care what's going on down there outside of sporting events where local teams are involved. Like when the Cowboys destroyed the Texanns last year in the REGULAR season.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,961,222 times
I used to live in Dallas, I am qualified to post on Dallas. I've spent a lot of time in Dallas too.

Dallas isn't an ugly city, its actually more manicured and taken care of than Houston or Miami, but Dallas also isn't very special, there isn't much about Dallas that strikes me as "this is a very special city", its just kind of there. For the people that are taking opinions so personally, trolls exist everywhere, I read the Los Angeles forum from time to time, and a lot of trolls from New York wind up there. Don't get so defensive about it and just report them and they will be banned if they're a new troll member.

Dallas is a nice city with lots to offer, it most certainly isn't ugly, but it has a few pockets of ugly areas too.

EDIT: For the person that said all of the Houston Metropolitan Area is flat, have you been to the suburbs on the Northeast side of the Metropolitan Area, particularly around Cleveland? You'll find some hills there, but yeah check it out next time.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,885,254 times
Quotes by the OP himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ise_66 View Post
Thanks for the info. The pics are lovely and they convey that Dallas is not beutiful and nature is not the strong point but there are some good things also.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:03 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,801,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I'm in DFW for school. When will I be going back to Houston? No idea. But, I've said many times that I really like DFW and it is a cool place (spent my last three years of high school in DFW), but I like Houston better. It's just when people post things like AlGreen did, I just have to question if they truly spent enough time in Houston to try and say DFW's appearance is that much better than Houston (when it clearly is not if you actually explore both metro areas).
Man you have been a North Texan for a while and I am glad you are here. I understand Houston was your birth place and you dont want nobody talking down about it or dissing it.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:05 AM

954 posts, read 1,543,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
fall color and rolling terrain
As a native midwesterner (Missouri), I've got to call foul on this one.
Dallas does not have fall color and rolling terrain, not if you mean the classic autumn colors of hard-maples with their flaming reds and oranges on and adjacent to the river bluffs of a mighty river like the Missouri. BTW, that muddy little stream you call the Trinity river is basically a glorified creek when compared to truly great navigable rivers like the Missouri. And don't get too carried away with the prairie country look, it's does offer some long-distance views but it's also very monotonous. One thing for sure about you Texas guys, you do uphold you're reps to exaggerate.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:07 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,349,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Dallas does not have fall color and rolling terrain, not if you mean the classic autumn colors of hard-maples with their flaming reds and oranges on and adjacent to the river bluffs of a mighty river like the Missouri. BTW, that muddy little stream you call the Trinity river is basically a glorified creek when compared to truly great navigable rivers like the Missouri. And don't get too carried away with the prairie country look, it's does offer some long-distance views but it's also very monotonous. One thing for sure about you Texas guys, you do uphold you're reps to exaggerate.
Classic autumn colors? Classic for what region?

Yes, Dallas does have fall colors and rolling terrain. Get out more.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:56 AM

6,631 posts, read 9,852,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
No river in Texas is navigable. We use the Trinity River for water. If we did have the Trinity we would have a major water problem.

EDIT: Here's the course of the Trinity

Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 AM

6,631 posts, read 9,852,706 times
This is Southern Dallas County

This area has NATIVE eastern red cedar evergreen trees. The Elevation is 800 ft above sea level.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/CedarHillAntennae.jpg (broken link)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fe/JoePoolLake.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-03-2011, 08:16 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,441,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
No river in Texas is navigable.
that is an incorrect statement. There are plenty of navigable rivers in Texas. I have been kayaking down many of them. Maybe you mean navigable by a large boat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas