U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 10:25 AM

16 posts, read 46,637 times

Advertisements

HI

I am planning to move from Milwaukee, WI to Dallas and am used to seeing green trees and going out for walks etc in the Summer. Also I can go to short weekend trips to Chicago and WI dells.
How is Dallas comparable. I have a wife and 2 kids....in elementary school. What kind of family fun places/things are there?
I am told that Dallas is insipid, colorless, boring, dull and concrete place. Is that true?

Old 05-31-2009, 10:45 AM

288 posts, read 1,066,934 times
They forgot the rotting cow carcasses in the streets when the temp rises above 110, the tumbleweeds and the saloon that they insistently won't update.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:58 AM

683 posts, read 2,093,339 times
All you have to do is take a gander at the photo thread on the main page for Dallas....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...mmunities.html

Old 05-31-2009, 11:07 AM

2,982 posts, read 8,176,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ise_66 View Post
HI

I am told that Dallas is insipid, colorless, boring, dull and concrete place. Is that true?
This can be true if YOU CHOOSE to live in an area like you describe.

You might look through these pics:
Photo Tour: The Mansions on Swiss and Lakewood in route to the Dallas Arboretum

Old 05-31-2009, 11:45 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,381,409 times
Summers are hot. You want to take your walks before 9am or at sunset or go walk at a mall.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:01 PM

779 posts, read 1,942,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Summers are hot. You want to take your walks before 9am or at sunset or go walk at a mall.
Last summer was a good reminder of how hot Dallas can get.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:46 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
HI

I am planning to move from Milwaukee, WI to Dallas and am used to seeing green trees and going out for walks etc in the Summer. Also I can go to short weekend trips to Chicago and WI dells.
How is Dallas comparable. I have a wife and 2 kids....in elementary school. What kind of family fun places/things are there?
There are lots of wonderful things to see and do in the Dallas area, great sports teams (even if I hate the Cowboys) some outstanding school districts. The people are friendly, great dining choices plus many areas are very diverse if this is what you want. As for walking in the summer, well, that is pretty much a morning activity but there are lots of walkers (I don't mean the kind you push along either) some areas have tree lined streets, the north part of the city, Richardson, areas around the university (very expensive I may add) Coppell, Grapevine are areas like Flower Mound, etc. Is Dallas pretty? Not really!!!! But you don't fight the snow all winter either.
Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 01:17 PM

16 posts, read 46,637 times
Thanks for the info. The pics are lovely and they convey that Dallas is not beutiful and nature is not the strong point but there are some good things also.
What about weekend trips etc? What can we do as a family for some outings. Is it true that DIsney is coming near Dallas? Is it true that Sea world is in San Antonio?

Old 05-31-2009, 01:23 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,508,041 times
There are definitely not as many trees in Dallas like you describe above in Milwaukee. The terrain in north Texas is basically prairie land with wide open spaces with a few trees here and there. However, in the city of Dallas there are areas that have many trees, so it would just depend on what part of the city you live in and how much you can spend on a home. The neighborhoods in north Dallas are generally nice, with more trees and some nice parks but the homes are more expensive in that part of the city. The northern burbs are very nice and fairly green but you're not likely to have as many large trees as some of the older neighborhoods in the city of Dallas itself since the burbs are newer areas and the trees of course are newer and not as big, etc. Anyway, good luck with your move.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:27 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,508,041 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. The pics are lovely and they convey that Dallas is not beutiful and nature is not the strong point but there are some good things also.
What about weekend trips etc? What can we do as a family for some outings. Is it true that DIsney is coming near Dallas? Is it true that Sea world is in San Antonio?
Yes, Sea World of Texas is in San Antonio. In the Dallas-Fort Worth metro you have Six Flags over Texas (in Arlington), which is a huge amusement park. There is also a large water park somewhere in the mid-cities area (I think that's still there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or