U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiona View Post
Under 300K is realistic, but NICE would be under 250K I have spent a lot of time sitting around the airport (More so in evening traffic than morning traffic) as I try to get back to whatever Irving Hotel I happen to be at for work. I see the bottleneck and cringe. I want a better quality of life than what I have in DC (1 hr 40 minute commute each way). I know it sounds crazy, but 40 minutes is ok given what I already do.
Look in the area of Richardson in and around Canyon Creek. Great neighborhood, great schools, close proximity to 190 for your commute, easy access to anywhere/shopping, etc but great houses, mature trees, large lots, etc. You should be able to find something in your price range in that area. Lots of parks nearby and Prarie Creek is an awesome spot for family photos (people think you were out in the country but you were not, just feels like it ). This will keep you away from a lot of the bottleneck traffic for other trips you need to get out for from home. As the kids get older you have UTD right within biking distance as well. They, UTD, offer sports camps during the summer as well for pretty much all ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:05 PM

9,504 posts, read 19,506,212 times
There are PLENTY of 3/2 houses in Grapevine under $250!!! DH and I bought a gorgeous one last fall for under $200. Look in southern part (South of Mustang Dr) or east of 121 for the best neighborhoods. The older neighborhoods towards the lake tend to be more dated and need updating.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 PM

4,128 posts, read 13,161,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
There are PLENTY of 3/2 houses in Grapevine under $250!!! DH and I bought a gorgeous one last fall for under $200. Look in southern part (South of Mustang Dr) or east of 121 for the best neighborhoods. The older neighborhoods towards the lake tend to be more dated and need updating.
I agree 100% with Christie. Grapevine would be just perfect. You would have a lot of homes to choose from, the schools are awesome, lots of anything you want to do. You can go downtown Dallas or Fort Worth for a night out or to a sporting event in less than 30 minutes. Homes hold their value very well too.

Naima

Old 06-02-2009, 08:16 AM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
but I don't agree that area S of Mustang is that great--most of crime reports in Grapevine are in this area--not so much because of homeowners per se but because of its location close to Mustang, the school stadium, and 114, restaurant row, and those apartments

I know of two people who moved in past 2 yrs because they felt that area was less desireable than when they moved in---
the area in north grapevine does have older homes in some areas but it also has Silver Lake development and some homes that were built on lots -- not as developments--and there are older homes south of Mustang also--20 yrs old--
Grapevine is like Colleyville in some ways and needs to be assessed a little differently since there is lot of variety in homes/locations-- more than Southlake--which is much more a neighborhood development town--at least to me
more info about Grapevine probably on FTW board

Old 06-02-2009, 06:17 PM

9,504 posts, read 19,506,212 times
The part of Mustang where there are crime reports are the apartment complexes, restaurants, and the trailer parks. The home neighborhoods, except for those immediately adjacent to these apartments and trailer parks, have very low crime. I live in the Town Park Additon, which was built in the late 1980s, and we have not had any crime problems in the 6 months we have lived here. I regularly visit with our neighbors, and they have not had any crime, either.

The BEST, most sought-after neighborhoods in Grapevine are the one east of 121 and the one south of Parr Park. Homes in these areas sell very quickly unless there is something wrong with them!

If your friends wanted a brand-new development, then yes, Grapevine was not the place for them.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:43 PM

3 posts, read 11,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missiona View Post
If doing the traditional 8-4:30 time, how long from Richardson to DFW Airport?

Even farther away, what about Garland?

Closer,
What about Carrollton?

Keller?

I know traffic can be terrible coming from North to South at the airport (Grapevine/Lewisville area) Just looking for best guestimate....
Missiona,

My question is have you been qualified for a loan yet so when you do choose an area you will know that there is not a problem in the loan process. With all of the sub prime fiasco, there are tighter requirements than previously.

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 06-03-2009 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: Deleted solicitation parts of the post

Old 06-03-2009, 07:09 AM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
ok--stand corrected about the crime issue
the only reason I find Grapevine really less attractive compared to others in same price range is that so many of the lots are smaller and houses have all beds up vs master +1 down...because of the lot size mainly I guess...saw a lot of those when we were looking for house
Parr Park area is very nice and guess the traffic is easier on the east side because the schools are probably better on the west...in GCISD...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas