U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:22 PM

15 posts, read 23,015 times

Advertisements

If doing the traditional 8-4:30 time, how long from Richardson to DFW Airport?

Even farther away, what about Garland?

Closer,
What about Carrollton?

Keller?

I know traffic can be terrible coming from North to South at the airport (Grapevine/Lewisville area) Just looking for best guestimate....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 09:07 PM

9,504 posts, read 19,506,212 times
DFW airport is IN Grapevine city limits, so the commute is maybe 10 minutes. Lewisville is close, but there is a lot of traffic, and there will be MAJOR construction starting in a few months.

You'd be INSANE to commute from Richardson or Garland!! The best route is a toll road, and it still has a lot of traffic on it. I'd guess about an hour in traffic? Carrollton is fairly close, but it is still about 30 minutes away in traffic.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:09 PM

I have been stuck in REALLY bad traffic coming to the airport from Grapevine area. Maybe it was just a bad day?

How much extra time does Flower Mound add?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:19 AM

9,504 posts, read 19,506,212 times
The traffic around the airport is almost always heavy, no matter where you are coming from. But since the airport actually sits IN Grapevine City Limits, it will be THE shortest commute! I live in Grapevine, and I don't even get on the highway to get to the airport. I use the airport roads to get to the terminals. It maybe takes 10 minutes, and I totally avoid the freeways! Half the people on my street work for American Airlines and the FAA. Grapevine is a VERY popular choice with folks who work at/near the airport!

I'd add 20 minutes from Flower Mound since your only choice is to come over the Lake Grapevine Dam, which is a 2-lane road, or down through the 121 area, which always has heavy traffic.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:54 AM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
true as to avoiding freeways when trying to get to DFW--there are lots of ways to use surface roads and many cars going through the airport--especially in the afternoon--are commuters---UGH!!!

Valley View runs basically right into the airport and it is not toll road...as does Cheek Sparger

if you are going to be working AT the airport and checking on commute times
Bedford, Hurst, Euless, Grapevine, east side of NRichland Hills, Colleyville, Southlake, south part of Lewisville, Carrollton, Coppell, north Arlington are going to work better for that commute
just depends on price point

Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
From my house in Garland real close to 190 to the airport in typical rush hour traffic is about an hour. That is door to door. Literally. I can walk out the door, drive 190 to 635 to the Royal Ln exit, park at the Park n Fly, get on the shuttle bus and be dropped off at my gate in an hours time. I have several neighbors and friends that travel weekly and they have no problems either with the commute to the airport. If you were in Richardson further west on 190 you can take off about 15-20 minutes depending on where in Richardson you are. The heaviest traffic is between 75 & the Dallas North Tollway. A little bit more traffic the closer you get to I-35 and then nothing after that all the way to the Royal Lane exit off of 635.

In non rush hour the drive can be done in 20-35 minutes easy.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 AM

27,447 posts, read 44,947,050 times
poster is not flying out of DFW but working in that area--so shuttle would not do her any good

Old 06-01-2009, 09:15 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
poster is not flying out of DFW but working in that area--so shuttle would not do her any good
I know. I was just saying that I do all of that and can be from walking out my door, drive there and park for the shuttle and arrive at the curb at my gate in that amount of time. Take off the having to park and transfer luggage from car to shuttle bus and them possibly stopping for others to take as well and it shaves off a little time.

I've got a plane to catch next Monday and plan on doing the airport valet at the airport gate. I'll post my time for that

Old 06-01-2009, 09:50 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,444,773 times
Keller is about 20mins. 114 bottlenecks a bit at Grapevine but it doesn't last long. If traffic is REAL bad then 30mins.

Grapevine would be ideal. As Chrisit said the airport is in The city limits. there are some nice older areas near the lake that might work for your budget. But not sure (your under 250k right?)

NRH I'd guess depending on where could be anywhere from 20 minutes to 45 minutes

Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 PM

Under 300K is realistic, but NICE would be under 250K I have spent a lot of time sitting around the airport (More so in evening traffic than morning traffic) as I try to get back to whatever Irving Hotel I happen to be at for work. I see the bottleneck and cringe. I want a better quality of life than what I have in DC (1 hr 40 minute commute each way). I know it sounds crazy, but 40 minutes is ok given what I already do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas