U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:52 AM

563 posts, read 3,382,021 times

Advertisements

Let me get this right :
You've had 2 showings in 10 days and you are thinking about dropping the price? Having been a buyer last year that would indicate to me that you are very eager to sell and will drop the price further.
About Carrollton being a dump that no one wants to buy in, i beg to differ. It really depends on where in carrollton you you are. There are some neighborhoods that sell like hot cakes. If you are in the school district for Kent Elementary I don't see any concerns about getting a good price. The homes in our neighborhood have sold for 5 to 10K over their tax assessments this year.

I would say - be patient. Give it a full month before you jump the gun and drop. Being a little over what you really want is a smart move since people will try and haggle you down.

On the other hand - aesthetically pleasing is very subjective. I would base your price more on sq footage, improvements and selling prices in your area. Recouping what you investmented in making the place look pretty is practically impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 10:58 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
At least you have the pics and staging. That goes a LONG ways.

FYI, not ALL parts of North Carrollton are in a great area. Some are in very close proximity to the Lewisville landfill. Some are near or next to railroad tracks. Some back up to commercial areas or apartments and even low rent & Section 8 apartments. Some back up to the major roads or on a corner lot of a major road. Some are on teeny-tiny lots w/ not much of a backyard. One good friend lives in FAR N. Carrollton but just a few doors down from the RR track (they can see it from their front porch ) and the houses around them are not kept up on the outside at all. And this is in a fairly new area. Just saying "North Carrollton" does not automatically assume that a house is in a great location. If any of these apply it automatically brings down the desire for someone to look at the property much less buy it.
oh for heavens sake, he says it is in a good NO Carrollton location, I trust he knows good location. Boy do you like to pick apart what people say, don't you...??

Nita

Old 06-02-2009, 02:43 PM

81 posts, read 174,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
At least you have the pics and staging. That goes a LONG ways.

FYI, not ALL parts of North Carrollton are in a great area. Some are in very close proximity to the Lewisville landfill. Some are near or next to railroad tracks. Some back up to commercial areas or apartments and even low rent & Section 8 apartments. Some back up to the major roads or on a corner lot of a major road. Some are on teeny-tiny lots w/ not much of a backyard. One good friend lives in FAR N. Carrollton but just a few doors down from the RR track (they can see it from their front porch ) and the houses around them are not kept up on the outside at all. And this is in a fairly new area. Just saying "North Carrollton" does not automatically assume that a house is in a great location. If any of these apply it automatically brings down the desire for someone to look at the property much less buy it.
I know what you're saying, but none of these things apply.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:10 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It appears you have 2 thinks going for you: you are in a very nice part of Carrollton and you realize the price is high,thus are willing to come down. What does your agent say?

Nita
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
Let me get this right :
You've had 2 showings in 10 days and you are thinking about dropping the price? Having been a buyer last year that would indicate to me that you are very eager to sell and will drop the price further.
About Carrollton being a dump that no one wants to buy in, i beg to differ. It really depends on where in carrollton you you are. There are some neighborhoods that sell like hot cakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh for heavens sake, he says it is in a good NO Carrollton location, I trust he knows good location. Boy do you like to pick apart what people say, don't you...??

Nita
NO! I'm saying that a blanket statement that just because a house is IN North Carrollton does not automatically make it a good place. It depends on WHERE in that area. Those ALL come into play. Ask my cousin who had a house right behind a commercial area w/ bright parking lot lights towering over their backyard that was 2 doors down from the main street. It was a HARD sell even though it was IN FAR N. Carrollton. See below, the OP knows what I'm referring to. There ARE bad spots to be in no matter WHAT city one resides in and is trying to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizcats13 View Post
I know what you're saying, but none of these things apply.

I'm with bookworm, I would be reluctant to lower my price so fast. It sends too many mixed signals that you could be VERY desperate. Wait another week or two and see how it goes. Wait till all of the graduations are over with and parents are done w/ school functions that are bombarding everyone right now.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 PM

27,480 posts, read 44,959,956 times
agree that being in a desired subdivision does not automatically make YOU house a desireable house...and there are reasons why houses in what are considered good areas or saleable areas are not going out the door quickly...
I see plenty of homes in Colleyville and Keller in nice neighborhoods and good school zones where one sells quicker than the other which languishes...
location within the subdivision and the house's floorplan/lot are probably the two prime factors in why people chose one house over the other...

there is great subdivision in Keller where a huge water tower was built after the subdivision was completed--homes backing up to that tower are a HARD sell and even homes where the front catches that towering image can be affected...and folks--I can tell you that the MLS photos for homes with that tower in backyard NEVER show it...and you know why...

there is subdivision with some nice homes in Colleyville where some of the houses back up to a radar tower for DFW and other homes back up to a horse farm...backyards by the horse farm have a real problem with smell/views and the other is just unattractive metal --although they try to sell the homes on not having a house that overlooks your property--the photos in the MLS always try to avoid either one...

we considered subdivision in NRHills where some homes are built by really good builder--lots were small but it is hard to find larger lots under 500K around here--until someone told us that subdivision gets lots of drive through traffic from people going to drop off/pick up kids at local elementary school...so some of the streets are really busy...that pretty much killed our interest...

so there are always some factors that can affect why some houses/neighborhoods are maybe not selling...

and I agree that lowering your price that much so quickly would be a negative flag to shoppers...
what you might consider doing is giving an incentive to RE agents who bring people through--but that would involve paying out cash w/o a sale...or offer bonus to agent that brings in client who makes a deal...that would get agents' attention I think more than lowering price...but it still might not help...
mortgage rates are going up--that more than anything right now will start to choke off buyers...

Old 06-03-2009, 08:50 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Basically you need to assess your market; who is moving in? What kind of people are they, what phase of life are they in? Cater to your market. Also if you know now that your house is priced over the comps in the area AND you are practically desperate to sell, why did you not price the house lower to begin with?

People are buying houses right now. I just bought one. In the neighborhood where I bought my house, updated properties that are priced correctly and even ones that are a little overpriced go very quickly. I looked at one house that was on the market for only one full day before it sold. It was listed on a Thursday and the sellers accepted an offer on Saturday, less than 48 hours after it was listed. I saw it that Friday afternoon and was not the only person there or even the first person to see it. The only thing that kept me from making an offer was the price. It was more than I wanted to spend and given how beautiful the house was I knew any offer I would make would not be competitive so I decided not to waste everyone's time.

I am a little bit of an unusual buyer for my neighborhood. I am buying a house that has essentially had almost nothing done to it since the late 1950s, a diamond in the rough so to speak, and I am a single female white collar professional who is not afraid of tiling, spackling, wiring receptacles, doing minor plumbing work, etc. myself. That is unusual.

I would talk to your realtor, have a serious sit down discussion with him/her and be realistic about the price you can achieve in your location. Another poster said that Carrollton has a little bit of a bad rep. I agree with that. That is not to say that Carrollton is a bad place to live, there are lots of nice neighborhoods there. However it is not easy to get out from behind a bad reputation. I did not even consider Carrollton as a potential location mostly due to distance, but also because I did not want to buy a house with a foundation problem. A lot of longtime DFW residents hear "Carrollton" and think "foundation problem" and in some areas of Carrollton they are not far off.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 AM

27,480 posts, read 44,959,956 times
I don't think foundation problem about Carrollton but I do think run-down--because that is more the part of Carrollton I am familiar with because of where my son's apt was when he lived there...

Bedford gets the same type of negative response most of the time--it has good ISD and safe neighborhoods for the most part but it is not NEW and that seems to be what many people are looking for--Keller's master planned communities are a big draw in same price ranges...and if that is what people want there is really nothing like it in Bedford...

Old 06-04-2009, 07:17 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don't think foundation problem about Carrollton but I do think run-down--because that is more the part of Carrollton I am familiar with because of where my son's apt was when he lived there...

Bedford gets the same type of negative response most of the time--it has good ISD and safe neighborhoods for the most part but it is not NEW and that seems to be what many people are looking for--Keller's master planned communities are a big draw in same price ranges...and if that is what people want there is really nothing like it in Bedford...
I love the comment about Keller, which happens to be one of my favorite little cities near DFW. The reason I say this, many years ago when we were about to buy in the Dallas area we fell in love with a couple of hourse in Keller. At that time Keller was not deveoped and seemed like the outskirts of nowhere. Our daughter said if we moved to Keller she would even tell anyone where we lived. Now, of course she too laughs as she eats her old words.

Nita

Old 06-04-2009, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 20,527 times
I'm currently looking for a home in the DFW area, and I've noticed that prices are all over the place. Some are way over-priced. However, I've noticed that good, clean homes with reasonable updates and priced in-line with comps sell fast and close to asking if not at it. The over-priced homes sit on the market waiting for someone careless from out-of-state to buy it. This only seems to work with especially spectacular homes. The reason this works is that other markets are generally more expensive than Texas due to the high property taxes, and lots of land. So, someone coming from the east coast for instance sees these houses and gets emotional, and doesn't due diligence when it comes to checking the comps. Many buyer's agents are complicit in allowing their clients to pay too much. However, looking on MLS many homes have been on the market well over 100 days. These like may be your case are homes that aren't spectacular, but just overpriced.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 16,499 times
I know exactly how you feel and I would like some advice too.
I'm trying to sell my house in SW Fort Worth over by Mcart Ave.
I think it's priced right, I have good pics, house is decluttered and kept clean.
I've had 2 showings and the feedback has been positive.
I really want to sell but can't afford to go lower? And hearing that the rates are going up isn't good.
How can I cater to people I know would move into my area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or