U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM

288 posts, read 397,738 times

Advertisements

Don't forget about neighborhoods where Meritage and other builders have built out but there are always great homes available, like in Meritage - Waterford Oaks in Cedar Hill, and
Meritage - Ellerson Ranch in Desoto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 AM

197 posts, read 456,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
I received an email this morning from Rona Stringfellow-Govan, Lancaster's Director of Development Services. She provided me with additional information on housing developments and builders in the city. Please consider the following notes as an update to the list I compiled and posted on January 10.

--D.R. Horton has purchased several lots in Wintergreen Ridge (not mentioned in my previous post) and Tribute at Mills Branch.

--Gehan is closing out their last homes in Pleasant Run Estates and the remaining lots have been purchased by D.R. Horton.

--Millbrook East (not mentioned in my previous post) is still active and is developer-owned, but no builder has purchased any lots at the moment.

--Due to the April 3, 2012 tornado, there are many builders constructing homes on pre-existing lots and vacant properties. Smaller and custom builders as opposed to large, well-known production builders are doing most of the construction in these areas.

I was told that additional subdivisions were previously approved, but didn't initiate construction due to the economic downturn. Per Lancaster's development code, the approval expires after two years and a builder/developer must re-submit their plans again with minor modifications to restore approval status.

This is one of the reasons I like living in Lancaster. You can contact city officials with any questions or concerns and receive a prompt, thorough response.

I'm also going to send you a direct message with extra information that you might find helpful.
Thanks so much for all of this information. Definitely seems that development is continuing in the area, and the homes are at such great prices. I did some google searches from the Wintergreen Ridge community to my job and my church, and the commute to work would be almost an hour (55 min)which is not desirable; commute to church is less than 20 min, which i expected. I used google maps and it adjusts for current traffic, so with the snow outside it may state a longer time. I will have to check again on a normal day. I also checked addresses in The Mira Lagos community in Grand Prairie, and it was about the same time. It looks now like Sachse might be a better midpoint for me, considering the home prices and distance from work (25min) and church (43min). I guess I'd have to determine whether the home prices in Lancaster are worth the longer commute.

What are the primary shopping locations to that area? Do you feel like you have all the necessities?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:19 AM

1,462 posts, read 3,249,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginasmu View Post
Thanks so much for all of this information. Definitely seems that development is continuing in the area, and the homes are at such great prices. I did some google searches from the Wintergreen Ridge community to my job and my church, and the commute to work would be almost an hour (55 min)which is not desirable; commute to church is less than 20 min, which i expected. I used google maps and it adjusts for current traffic, so with the snow outside it may state a longer time. I will have to check again on a normal day. I also checked addresses in The Mira Lagos community in Grand Prairie, and it was about the same time. It looks now like Sachse might be a better midpoint for me, considering the home prices and distance from work (25min) and church (43min). I guess I'd have to determine whether the home prices in Lancaster are worth the longer commute.

What are the primary shopping locations to that area? Do you feel like you have all the necessities?
Yes, in my opinion, we have all of the basic necessities. Lancaster's western boundary is Interstate 35 East and along that route, we have the typical suburban stores (Walmart Supercenter, Home Depot, and a shopping center anchored by a Cinemark movie theater). There are also several restaurants in that area that range from fast-food joints like In-N-Out and Chicken Express, both opened last year, to dine-in chains like Chili's and Logan's Roadhouse. We also have quite a few 'mom and pop' establishments located throughout the city. For groceries, there is a Minyards store that anchors the Blue Grove Plaza shopping center in central Lancaster. A Kroger store is located on the DeSoto side of Interstate 35 East that many Lancaster residents use as well. Walmart has a grocery selection and a smaller grocer, Save-a-Lot, opened a store in the city in 2010. Business interest in Lancaster has increased over the six years that I have lived here, especially as thè economy has improved. We do need additional retail options and with ample land, a growing population, and a growing base of shoppers, we are in a good position to bring in more businesses. If there is something I can't find in Lancaster, I can usually find it in DeSoto or Cedar Hill, both only a short drive away. We may not be the most popular region in the DFW area, but you can definitely enjoy a good quality of life in Lancaster and the other southern suburbs.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Yes, in my opinion, we have all of the basic necessities. Lancaster's western boundary is Interstate 35 East and along that route, we have the typical suburban stores (Walmart Supercenter, Home Depot, and a shopping center anchored by a Cinemark movie theater). There are also several restaurants in that area that range from fast-food joints like In-N-Out and Chicken Express, both opened last year, to dine-in chains like Chili's and Logan's Roadhouse. We also have quite a few 'mom and pop' establishments located throughout the city. For groceries, there is a Minyards store that anchors the Blue Grove Plaza shopping center in central Lancaster. A Kroger store is located on the DeSoto side of Interstate 35 East that many Lancaster residents use as well. Walmart has a grocery selection and a smaller grocer, Save-a-Lot opened a store in the city in 2010. Business interest in Lancaster has increased over the six years that I lived here, especially as thè economy has improved. We do need additional retail options and with ample land, a growing population, and a growing base of shoppers, we are in a good position to bring in more businesses. If there is something I can't find in Lancaster, I can usually find it in DeSoto or Cedar Hill, both only a short drive away. We may not be the most popular region in the DFW area, but you can definitely enjoy a good quality of life in Lancaster and the other southern suburbs.
Yes, one of my sorority sisters has lived out in Lancaster for almost 10 years. It's her first home. She lives off Houston School Rd and I think her community is right next to Pleasant Run Estates if I'm not mistaken. When I've gone to her home, it does seem like a nice area, it just seemed really bare, like it didn't have much going on out there. Granted, her house is probably the furthest into Lancaster I've ever gone, as she is the only friend whose house I frequent who lives out there. She has enjoyed living there for the most part, but does plan to move one day - I think that is more about moving to a bigger, nicer home, not necessarily the area.

It's just that commute that concerns me.....if there wasn't any traffic it wouldn't be so bad, but it seems that taking 35 is pretty unavoidable.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, one of my sorority sisters has lived out in Lancaster for almost 10 years. It's her first home. She lives off Houston School Rd and I think her community is right next to Pleasant Run Estates if I'm not mistaken. When I've gone to her home, it does seem like a nice area, it just seemed really bare, like it didn't have much going on out there. Granted, her house is probably the furthest into Lancaster I've ever gone, as she is the only friend whose house I frequent who lives out there. She has enjoyed living there for the most part, but does plan to move one day - I think that is more about moving to a bigger, nicer home, not necessarily the area.

It's just that commute that concerns me.....if there wasn't any traffic it wouldn't be so bad, but it seems that taking 35 is pretty unavoidable.
Instead of taking I-35E from Lancaster and heading north, you could also take I-20 east from Lancaster to I-45 and then head north to downtown Dallas. That portion of I-45 is less likely to be congested with traffic compared to I-35E, which would possibly shed a few minutes off of your commute time. Once you get to downtown, you can take several different highways to get to the Dallas North Tollway. I'm currently posting using a tablet and Google Maps is running so slowly that I am unable to get the estimated commute time for the alternate route.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Instead of taking I-35E from Lancaster and heading north, you could also take I-20 east from Lancaster to I-45 and then head north to downtown Dallas. That portion of I-45 is less likely to be congested with traffic compared to I-35E, which would possibly shed a few minutes off of your commute time. Once you get to downtown, you can take several different highways to get to the Dallas North Tollway. I'm currently posting using a tablet and Google Maps is running so slowly that I am unable to get the estimated commute time for the alternate route.
Ok, since the weather today is normal, I just did another Google maps route....time is clocking at 40 min, with the current normal traffic... I guess that commute would be doable...question is how many days does 35 have "normal" traffic....lol. Still have to see how much I even like the city itself,of course.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Ok, since the weather today is normal, I just did another Google maps route....time is clocking at 40 min, with the current normal traffic... I guess that commute would be doable...question is how many days does 35 have "normal" traffic....lol. Still have to see how much I even like the city itself,of course.
Well if you have any further questions in the future, feel free to contact me again or send a direct message.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:17 PM

171 posts, read 307,300 times
Acntx, I must say THANK YOU for all this picture posting and talking about Lancaster that you do! I am a new Texas resident and my husband and I are looking for a home and have found one we want to look at in Lancaster. I too had been told by multiple people not to go south of I-30, Desoto or Lancaster. After reading your posts and looking at pictures I am definitly going to go look at this house and to hell with the naysayers. It is a gorgeous house at an amazing price.

According to city-data's information, I will be in the minority there, but as long as the neighborhood is good and my neighbors are nice, I dont care what color they are.

You have done your town a great service.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
Acntx, I must say THANK YOU for all this picture posting and talking about Lancaster that you do! I am a new Texas resident and my husband and I are looking for a home and have found one we want to look at in Lancaster. I too had been told by multiple people not to go south of I-30, Desoto or Lancaster. After reading your posts and looking at pictures I am definitly going to go look at this house and to hell with the naysayers. It is a gorgeous house at an amazing price.

According to city-data's information, I will be in the minority there, but as long as the neighborhood is good and my neighbors are nice, I dont care what color they are.

You have done your town a great service.
Thank you so much for the compliment, it really made my day. I'm glad you are considering the area and there are nice neighborhoods in both Lancaster and DeSoto. Some newcomers to the area don't even consider the southern suburbs as an option, however, the area continues to grow, develop, and attract new businesses. I'm sure you will be able to find something that suits your needs here. While majority African-American, people of other races are active in the civic lives of both communities (city government, school board, chamber of commerce, etc.). As a six-year resident of Lancaster who grew up in DeSoto, I think you will find both cities very welcoming.

As I said to the previous poster, if you have any further questions in the future, feel free to contact me again or send a direct message.

Last edited by Acntx; 01-18-2013 at 03:56 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 08:52 PM

171 posts, read 307,300 times
Well, we looked at the house today, and it looks like we may very well make an offer! I liked the small town, but with the necessities close by. We talked to a neighbor and he had great things to say about the neighborhood too. It is an older established neighborhood.

I will PM you with some questions or post a thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas