Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:19 AM

447 posts, read 1,765,374 times

Advertisements

While I agree that everyone should have money saved to buy a house- it still takes a lot-- even with FHA. After you close, you have appliances, landscaping (if new build); lawnmowers, blinds/window treatments, etc. I would encourage anyone to have at least 5,000 saved above their down payment/closing cost to cover this stuff. We just moved into a new build, and I'm amazed at how our bank account has been drained! But on a really sunny note- we have paid cash for everything (well, except for the house ) so we feel really good about that- not one thing has gone on a credit card!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 PM

65 posts, read 207,518 times
Ok, it sounds like my wife and I won't qualify since we have to file jointly this year. Let me throw this out there and get your thoughts. We got married in August 2008 and filed our taxes separately for 2008. My wife has yet to submit our marriage license. My question is do we have to file taxes jointly for 2009 or can we do individual. If individual, would she be able to buy the house on her own and get the tax credit?. Sorry, I do not understand all the rules around this and seeking advice.

thanks again

Old 06-02-2009, 01:27 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
You will be filing "married by separately". You can't file as a single person if you're not single. I hope your 2008 taxes showed you were married.

So, no, you can't do what you're asking.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:03 PM

200 posts, read 548,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1412 View Post
1) If our joint income is over $150K, do we not qualify altogether? Or do we get a percentaged of the $8K.
You can still get a partial credit if you make more than 150k but less than 170k. The more you make the more you lose not only on this but also the $800 "make work pay" credit, which is completely phased out at 190k.

So if you make a combined 150k and buy a house, you will be taxed an additional 42% for income between 150k and 170k. Assuming your income individually do not exceed the social security income limit of 106800. Your real tax rate in Texas for earned income between 150k and 170k would be 42%+7.65%+25%= 74.65%.(57% to 67% for investment income.)

Old 06-02-2009, 03:49 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Quote:
Ok, it sounds like my wife and I won't qualify since we have to file jointly this year. Let me throw this out there and get your thoughts. We got married in August 2008 and filed our taxes separately for 2008. My wife has yet to submit our marriage license. My question is do we have to file taxes jointly for 2009 or can we do individual. If individual, would she be able to buy the house on her own and get the tax credit?. Sorry, I do not understand all the rules around this and seeking advice.

thanks again
Can you say "Federal Tax Fraud"? They have a tendency of looking down on this. Stop trying to look for a way to get something you don't qualify for. That's MY TAX money you're trying to get.

Sorry if I'm attacking, but I really have an issue with people lying to get money. It shows how messed up our ethics are as a society.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
you are married--why would you try to cheat on your taxes by saying you aren't just because your wife has not filed the certificate
you can file separately even if YOU ARE married or file as a couple--but you can't file as a single individual if you are married...

Old 06-02-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
you are married--why would you try to cheat on your taxes by saying you aren't just because your wife has not filed the certificate
you can file separately even if YOU ARE married or file as a couple--but you can't file as a single individual if you are married...
I am not sure if OP really understands the tax rules.
(Some of my relatives never file taxes themselves. They just give everything to the accountants....so...)

To make it clear, if you are married by the end of the tax year, you have to file your taxes as either "married filing jointly", or "married filing separately." For the purpose of this particular tax credit, it doesn't matter which one you choose, you are still subject to the same rules. Once you are married you cannot file taxes as "single", that would be illegal if you do so.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
We got married in August 2008 and filed our taxes separately for 2008. My wife has yet to submit our marriage license.
You are not supposed to file as "single" even in 2008, but you could file as "married filing separately". I hope you accountant took care of that. It is the rule regardless of whether you submitted the license or not.

Sadly, more and more people will qualify for this credit this year because they either got their salaries cut or lost their jobs... Pardon me for my out of topic rant..

Old 06-02-2009, 05:38 PM

65 posts, read 207,518 times
Nope, we were not aware that we had to file "married" either way. My wife and I have different tax accountants and we took it to them separately and left it at that. I think we would have saved some money had we filed "married". Anyways, it's unfortunate how people have a knee jerk reaction when I'm trying to learn about these rules by posting my question. If I wanted to cheat the system in anyway, I would probably keep in under the radar and not ask a question of this type. Anyways, thanks to those who responded to the question. I will ignore "Loves2Read" comments above, although he/she has been helpful to my other posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: