U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:32 PM

5,856 posts, read 6,883,525 times

Advertisements

I know there was a 30-second "rule" when I used ADT in Austin, but it was 30-seconds to shut it off. They would still always call though, even if I used my code. Their rule was it would sound (alarm) and if no code was entered or phone/communication established w/in 30-seconds they would automatically call the police. Otherwise it was trip...then call for password regardless of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 06:07 AM

563 posts, read 3,435,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
I know there was a 30-second "rule" when I used ADT in Austin, but it was 30-seconds to shut it off. They would still always call though, even if I used my code. Their rule was it would sound (alarm) and if no code was entered or phone/communication established w/in 30-seconds they would automatically call the police. Otherwise it was trip...then call for password regardless of time.
That is exactly what I expected and what I was told would not happen.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:09 AM

1,003 posts, read 2,308,811 times
I think this is pretty standard for all the alarm companies.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,122,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
Someone mentioned having a delay on the alarm. That is what the guy said - that our alarm had a 30 second delay (as required by this 'law') and would not call them for the first 30 seconds. I don't know how that makes sense since the minute you open the door or window it starts wailing like a banshee!! Certainly no delay on the sound effects!
You can set every single entrance be it windows or doors for a certain amount of delay before it goes off. For instance, our backdoor to the backyard is automatic with no delay at all before the alarm goes BLARING! The other doors have set for a 2 minute delay before you must shut it off before the alarm goes blaring off. When coming in and opening those doors the alarm makes a low pitched noise and then we shut it off. If we were to not shut it off w/in that 2 minute delay then it would go blaring off loudly.

There is no "law" other than what the company NORMALLY may have set them for unless you instruct them otherwise when they come out to program it. Now, you do not want to have just 30 seconds to get into the house and turn off the alarm though. That is an awful short time and I'd never make it. If there is indeed ANY kind of state law that sets these perimeters I've not heard of it nor has any alarm company mentioned it either.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 AM

Here is what I have found concerning state law and home security systems. This new law says that the alarm monitoring companies must make at least 2 calls to the property owner to verify it is indeed an emergency. Nothing is in this one concerning the time given to turn off an alarm.

Texas Puts Landmark Alarm Legislation into Law | (http://www.securityinfowatch.com/root+level/1279407?pageNum=1 - broken link)

Consumer Info (http://www.tbfaa.org/html/consumer_info.asp - broken link)

Burglar Alarm Systems (http://www.tbfaa.org/html/burglar_alarm_systems.asp - broken link)

They have some good info on their site as well:
Texas Home Security System Residential Alarm Wireless Monitoring Home Security Service (http://smiththompson.com/smiththompson/ - broken link)

Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 AM

5,856 posts, read 6,883,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
That is exactly what I expected and what I was told would not happen.
Yeah, I think someone whom you were talking to got their wires crossed.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:59 PM

Ok now I am seriously baffled. I spoke to the owner this afternoon and was told that all new systems installed in the past few years require that the system not call the alarm company if the triggered alarm is turned off within 30 seconds. Straight from the horse's mouth.
I tried looking online and found some information on cp-01 standards for alarms but while it seems that the alarm may be set to do this nowhere did I find that it is REQUIRED to do this. My keypad is right next to the entry door for my garage. And having the alarm beep at me for half a minute warning me that it is about to go off is not the issue. The issue is that if the alarm has gone off (loud sirens, shrieking horns, etc) I do not see why the company should not call to check that everything is ok.
We were with ADT in Indiana and they always did so if the alarm went off even for a couple of seconds.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:19 PM

One of our keypads is right next to the back door that has no delay at all and the alarm has gone off and we have turned it off w/in seconds (I'd say less than 10 seconds) and they have ALWAYS called. Maybe I'll trigger it and see if they call just to see? I've not heard of this at all and we have had a new system put in within the last few years and having one installed right now in our new garage (wiring was done a few weeks ago). No one has said anything about that at all. ????

Old 06-03-2009, 01:46 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,472,310 times
Where do you live that you need alarms? Must be dangerous.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 PM

LOL my paranoid hubby can't live without one. Carrollton -the hot bed of crime and villiany!
I think the chief of police lives in our neighborhood and it is a nice blank little spot on the crime maps.
I'd love to cancel my contract with these guys but don't see how I can do it without paying them a nice packet. Perhaps I should trigger it a couple of times beyond 30 seconds and see if they are even monitoring anything or just sitting on their hands and collecting money on existing contracts.
I guess I'm a bit paranoid too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas