U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:11 PM

424 posts, read 1,631,867 times

Advertisements

Borac acid or Borax around the perimeter of teh house supposedly dissoves the bodies of scorpions. We had a scorpion problem in our home and we re-weather stripped all the doors. None since. They can squeeze in really tight areas. I'm not sure what the people that lived in our house before us did...but evidently they did not believe in weather stripping!

Good luck. The kids like to trap them but now luckily they have to go outside to do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 AM

2,027 posts, read 6,259,112 times
Hello, there are snakes, spiders, AND scorpions just about everywhere in Texas.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 AM

36 posts, read 70,486 times
We moved here from up north and I too was terrified of snakes, spiders, etc.. We live north of Frisco even farther out in the country. Since I am paranoid as you are, stay away from water(ponds or lakes), heavily treed areas, and I try to keep the areas around the walls especially in the garage uncluttered. You do need to have regular treatments indoors and out by an exterminator. I also use glue traps around the house and many in the garage so I know it if anything is in here besides me. So far, the only snakes I have seen were in a pond. I did see a small one when there was construction of new homes in the neighborhood. As far as spiders, I too have seen Wolf spiders and jumping spiders but mostly outdoors. I think I had worse spiders up north! Don't use Lava Rock in your garden and you shouldn't see any scorpions. I am careful just because it makes sense to not stick my hands or feet in anything without looking first but I have never seen anything. I also made sure that my home was sealed around doors, windows, and behind appliances. I don't do the gardening I did up north but have calmed down alot in my fears of these things as they are not as bad as I imagined they would be. Actually, the worst thing I have to deal with is crickets. Don't let that stop you from coming here. It is great. I am just cautious of my surroundings. As far as the storms, sometimes they get a little scary but overall, life is much better here. Don't let your fear ruin your dreams. Believe me, you can't be more afraid than I was!!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,608 times
Just put on YouTube my wife field dressing a snake I shot. Look up "gorgeous blonde girl skins a snake" and you can see it. Welcome to Texas!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:17 AM

108 posts, read 236,804 times
Dude, the snake you shot is HOT!!
LOL

Old 12-30-2014, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 679 times
The snake in your photograph is a harmless diamondback water snake.
Also Texas rat snakes will not harm dogs
I am a herpetologist at UT Arlington.
Google herpetology UTA for my direct email
Or contact me at franklin@uta.edu
You can also find information via the DFW herpetological society
Home

Carl Franklin

Old 03-22-2015, 03:16 AM
mm4

5,712 posts, read 2,955,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeerose1809 View Post
Actually, the worst thing I have to deal with is crickets.
Crickets get in boots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or