U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
 
294 posts, read 875,884 times
Reputation: 74

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPharmD View Post
From Google maps:

Driving directions to Veterans Affairs Medical Center from Frisco Texas

38.2 mi – about 52 mins (up to 1 hour 50 mins in traffic)


You guys are posting times that are physically impossible to make! I understand it could be a little less if you lived in far south Frisco. If you were close to the highway and had no stop lights or school zones in the way you could shave a little time off this. Leaving at 5:45 should put him ahead of the rush hour traffic jam.

I find Google maps to be very accurate.

I didn't say I live in Frisco, did I? Isn't this about commuting from Plano?!
Edit to add that we are very close to the tollway and he says there is basically no traffic that early in the moring. He comes home ahead of the rush hour, so it's an easy commute (except for the pocket, of course!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 AM
 
164 posts, read 714,034 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintea View Post
I didn't say I live in Frisco, did I? Isn't this about commuting from Plano?!
Edit to add that we are very close to the tollway and he says there is basically no traffic that early in the moring. He comes home ahead of the rush hour, so it's an easy commute (except for the pocket, of course!)
You are correct! I do not know why I assumed Frisco. I found your comment interesting since I am considering appling for a job at the VA. Wow it is really far south. Big beautiful Hospital though in the worst possible location. Was that area always that bad or was it better when the VA hospital was first built?

It is a long drive from Allen. Maybe $DFW8$ can pick me up in his rocket ship time machine and I can get there in 10 minutes! I hear he can get from Gainsville to downtown Dallas in 25 minutes! Just messing with ya $DFW8$!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 12:01 PM
 
Location: The Village
1,622 posts, read 3,896,840 times
Reputation: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPharmD View Post
You are correct! I do not know why I assumed Frisco. I found your comment interesting since I am considering appling for a job at the VA. Wow it is really far south. Big beautiful Hospital though in the worst possible location. Was that area always that bad or was it better when the VA hospital was first built?

It is a long drive from Allen. Maybe $DFW8$ can pick me up in his rocket ship time machine and I can get there in 10 minutes! I hear he can get from Gainsville to downtown Dallas in 25 minutes! Just messing with ya $DFW8$!!!
It was much nicer until the 1970s, when it started going downhill.

But I don't know if "beautiful" is a good way to describe the Dallas VA. I believe it was named "the worst hospital in the nation" a few years back, though that could have just been the DMN sensationalizing things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 12:49 PM
 
164 posts, read 714,034 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
It was much nicer until the 1970s, when it started going downhill.

But I don't know if "beautiful" is a good way to describe the Dallas VA. I believe it was named "the worst hospital in the nation" a few years back, though that could have just been the DMN sensationalizing things.
I guess beautiful by VA standards compared to what I have seen else where. Solely from seeing the outside and the grounds it looks like a nice hospital. Lots of newer buildings plenty of parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
 
4,307 posts, read 11,163,630 times
Reputation: 2463
It is a very nice building since they did a major renovation. It is in a bad part of town for sure. I'm not sure when it was built but the neighborhood did start going down hill during the 70's. The first house they did on the Home Makeover show is a stones throw from the VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:13 PM
 
294 posts, read 875,884 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPharmD View Post
You are correct! I do not know why I assumed Frisco. I found your comment interesting since I am considering appling for a job at the VA. Wow it is really far south. Big beautiful Hospital though in the worst possible location. Was that area always that bad or was it better when the VA hospital was first built?

It is a long drive from Allen. Maybe $DFW8$ can pick me up in his rocket ship time machine and I can get there in 10 minutes! I hear he can get from Gainsville to downtown Dallas in 25 minutes! Just messing with ya $DFW8$!!!
I checked on Yahoo Maps, it is 38 minutes from where we are. Not bad! It works out fine because he starts work early, there aren't many cars on the road.
I haven't seen the hospital, he likes it and was surprised to learn that the hospital made that "worst" list. That goes for his department, the hospital is huge so who knows...
I thought he has a long commute, but some of the guys working there drive 50+ miles each way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 11:21 PM
 
1,383 posts, read 3,004,169 times
Reputation: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPharmD View Post
You are correct! I do not know why I assumed Frisco. I found your comment interesting since I am considering appling for a job at the VA. Wow it is really far south. Big beautiful Hospital though in the worst possible location. Was that area always that bad or was it better when the VA hospital was first built?

It is a long drive from Allen. Maybe $DFW8$ can pick me up in his rocket ship time machine and I can get there in 10 minutes! I hear he can get from Gainsville to downtown Dallas in 25 minutes! Just messing with ya $DFW8$!!!
Haha very funny! 25 minutes from Gainesville to Dallas even in the middle of the night would take longer than 25 minutes. 10 minutes to get from Allen to the Dallas VA Hospital is also impossible. Besides I don't go through Allen on my daily commute as I use the DNT. And no, I do not have a rocket ship! Maybe in the near future though....lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top