U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2007, 09:28 AM
 
8 posts, read 15,788 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

We are moving from NJ to Dallas area. Pls give advice on where to live. Hubby's job is in Southlake. We have 3 kids. We are looking for good schools, a 4 bedroom home with a yard for the kids to play. The towns that have been suggested to us are Haslet, Southlake, Copell, and Mckinney.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2007, 09:40 AM
940
 
Location: Brooklyn Heights, NY & Lake Ariel, PA
13,743 posts, read 5,500,861 times
Reputation: 6724
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetbelle View Post
We are moving from NJ to Dallas area. Pls give advice on where to live. Hubby's job is in Southlake. We have 3 kids. We are looking for good schools, a 4 bedroom home with a yard for the kids to play. The towns that have been suggested to us are Haslet, Southlake, Copell, and Mckinney.

Thanks
You definitely should live in Southlake if good schools and large yards are important to you...especially since the job will be right there. Most every home in Southlake has large upscale homes with even larger yards and the schools are some of the very best in the area if not in Texas. Grapevine is another option that is just "next door" to Southlake and has good schools too.

I'd definitely steer clear of McKinney if your husband's job is in Southlake..the commute with the traffic would probably send him over the edge! Coppell isn't too far either and the schools are rated highly but honestly, I'd stay in the Southlake area where I think you'll find everything you want or need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 10:02 AM
 
8 posts, read 15,788 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
You definitely should live in Southlake if good schools and large yards are important to you...especially since the job will be right there. Most every home in Southlake has large upscale homes with even larger yards and the schools are some of the very best in the area if not in Texas. Grapevine is another option that is just "next door" to Southlake and has good schools too.

I'd definitely steer clear of McKinney if your husband's job is in Southlake..the commute with the traffic would probably send him over the edge! Coppell isn't too far either and the schools are rated highly but honestly, I'd stay in the Southlake area where I think you'll find everything you want or need.

Thanks for the reply. What is your opinion of Haslet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 10:11 AM
 
3,002 posts, read 10,280,703 times
Reputation: 814
Easy answer. Southlake. Your search is over.

All the others are fine as well, but Mckinney is too far. That section over there is part 2 of the sucessful northern burbs story in Dallas. 'Top of the airport' and 'between the 75 and the tollway', can't go wrong.

I'd live there in Southlake a second if it wasn't so far from where all my customers are located. Very nice area with some of the best schools in the area. In Soutlake, you get Park Cities quality without all the baggage that goes with living in the Park Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 12:45 PM
 
8 posts, read 15,788 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Easy answer. Southlake. Your search is over.

All the others are fine as well, but Mckinney is too far. That section over there is part 2 of the sucessful northern burbs story in Dallas. 'Top of the airport' and 'between the 75 and the tollway', can't go wrong.

I'd live there in Southlake a second if it wasn't so far from where all my customers are located. Very nice area with some of the best schools in the area. In Soutlake, you get Park Cities quality without all the baggage that goes with living in the Park Cities.
I was talking to my husband he felt that Southlake was a bit pricey. What do you guys think of Keller and Colleyville he saids it's the same school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 02:37 PM
940
 
Location: Brooklyn Heights, NY & Lake Ariel, PA
13,743 posts, read 5,500,861 times
Reputation: 6724
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetbelle View Post
I was talking to my husband he felt that Southlake was a bit pricey. What do you guys think of Keller and Colleyville he saids it's the same school system.
It's not the same school district..except for maybe a very small area in Grapevine or Colleyville, those areas are in the Grapevine-Colleyville ISD. And Keller has its own ISD too (Keller ISD)...in fact, some parts of Southlake that are further west are in the Keller ISD instead of the Carroll ISD (Southlake). Carroll ISD isn't very large and doesn't even cover all of the town of Southlake but it's the school district that most in the town want to be in.

http://www.southlakecarroll.edu/

And it is pricey but homes are on large lots and the school system is one of the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
1,379 posts, read 4,605,401 times
Reputation: 328
Default Haslet opinion

We are building out in Haslet. It has property and you can get more for the money custom built in Haslet rather than Southlake. You can get 1/2 acres on up. The negatives is that it isn't anything like Southlake.

Where Southlake is urban, exclusive, older homes with lots of older trees, great amenities and fantastic schools, Haslet is a smaller more country community with amenities coming closer and great schools. Haslet has a population of about 2000 people, but that whole Alliance Corridor is growing so much and there will be a HUGE regional mall that Ross Perot Jr is developing.

It really depends on what you want. You will get a new house with everything you could want for less money. That isn't to say that you won't get a great house in Southlake, you will just be paying more for it. You pay for your neighbors. In Haslet, we will have cows and horses. Not really but pretty close
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 09:47 PM
 
8 posts, read 15,788 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
We are building out in Haslet. It has property and you can get more for the money custom built in Haslet rather than Southlake. You can get 1/2 acres on up. The negatives is that it isn't anything like Southlake.

Where Southlake is urban, exclusive, older homes with lots of older trees, great amenities and fantastic schools, Haslet is a smaller more country community with amenities coming closer and great schools. Haslet has a population of about 2000 people, but that whole Alliance Corridor is growing so much and there will be a HUGE regional mall that Ross Perot Jr is developing.

It really depends on what you want. You will get a new house with everything you could want for less money. That isn't to say that you won't get a great house in Southlake, you will just be paying more for it. You pay for your neighbors. In Haslet, we will have cows and horses. Not really but pretty close
Hey I don't mind horses and cows if I get great schools and more house for the money...lol. Thanks for the reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2007, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
1,379 posts, read 4,605,401 times
Reputation: 328
It is definately worth checking out when you come to visit. Also for schools and ISDs, check out www.greatschools.net for postings from parents of the particular schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2007, 01:15 AM
 
10 posts, read 33,904 times
Reputation: 12
Have you looked at Trophy Club? Southlake ISD has tried to annex them a few times due to the high number of succesful AP Students/Athletes that come out of there. It basically is the best area in Northwest ISD (which includes Haslet, the other better part of the district). Trophy Club is a more residential feel, while Haslet is more country. I grew up in Haslet and went to Northwest and loved it.

If you send the kids to Southlake and don't buy the kids a Lexus for their 16th birthday be ready for some self-esteem issues.

Last edited by BobDole; 04-12-2007 at 01:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top