Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 02:52 PM

7 posts, read 27,933 times

Advertisements

Guys,

I have just signed up for a Grand Homes and picked the standard
elevation but it has Hardi Plank in the elevation mixed with brick.
not sure if it is better or not, also does it have any effect in the resale
value of this house in the future.

Thanks All.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 04:48 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Look around you. Well over 90% of the newer homes in the area have siding mixed with brick, when a two story especially. If you haven't noticed, you're not looking at the backs. Drive down some alleys, you'll see. The siding is "hardi plank" or a comparative product. Because of costs, not many builders do a 100% brick, 2 story home... though that is more common on 1 story homes.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Hardie plank--because it is composite of cement and fiber--is considered to be masonry product--akin to brick rather than the older forms of siding which were wood/plywood construction
Hardie plank can last 50 yrs so it is superior to wood siding and certainly should not be considered a lesser product--
that being said--it is cheaper than brick (because of labor mainly and other factors) and weighs less for second story--but it can be difficult to cut/apply correctly if installers don't know what they are doing...especially where windows are framed and there are intersections of angles....there are some products out there that mimic Hardie plank so make sure that is what your house actually is having--it is not cheap...

hope you had a realtor with you on this home purchase

Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
Hardie Plank/Cemplank are a very good product that lasts a long time without needing to be replaced but it will need to be painted just like wood.

You say that it's on the front of the home. Where? May be inside the porch area?

It doesn't affect price on resale unless you think that upgrading for $1000 or so isn't worth it. It really would depend how the elevation looks, landscaping, roof line, etc.

Naima

Old 06-04-2009, 06:42 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
my point was that technically HardiPlank IS masony--which brick is--you can't advertise it as all-brick home but when insurance is figured it is counted as brick is counted--not like wood siding or vinyl siding is rated...
and I think for tax purposes it is probably rated higher as well
there are many homes that have quite a bit of exposed HardiPlank and it is very popular back East and in areas like Atlanta where people like the look of wood siding on exterior...
it is just newer to DFW area...
frankly I like the look of that more than some of the brick and rock looks with composite rock that I see on some houses...

Old 06-04-2009, 03:37 PM

468 posts, read 1,886,789 times
Technically, HardiPlank or Hardi Board is a cementitious fiber reinforced board. No wood fibers at all. The Hardi company tried marketing it as a product that would pass the minimum masonry requirements of Developers CCRs but the Developers didn't buy it. It still looks like wood siding.

The City of Frisco requires all new homes to have Hardi Board or like product on all new homes in place of wood, such as in the soffits, frieze and fascia boards, including the wall surfaces where a siding product is specified. Doesn't rot. Termites can't eat it. Won't burn. And yes you have to paint it, but since it's much more stable than wood, paint last longer on it. It's pre-primed. It doesn't expand and shrink between the seasons and it doesn't warp or twist. So HardiPlank/Board, IMO is a good thing. I purposely put it on my home.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 AM

7 posts, read 27,933 times
Thank you all for sharing some good info,
i feel much better now ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas