Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do think I should do?
Take a chance and plenty of permanent jobs available 2 11.11%
Find employment before moving 15 83.33%
Plenty of temp services available, 2 11.11%
None of teh above. Don't move to Texas 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:27 PM

41 posts, read 77,226 times

Advertisements

I've decided to relocate to Texas after about a year of researching. However I'm not sure how to go about getting a job in Texas considering I live in Florida right now.

I've been employed doing general office work. I have a 4yrs of Mortgage experience as Collector, Processing and Funding. Previous to that I have 6yrs as Administrative Assistant. Prior to that I've worked in a call center as Customer Service Representative and Data Entry Clerk for 5yrs.

I know it's better to have a job lined up when I get there. But that's the confusing part for me. Who will be willing to call me in for a job with a Florida address and phone number? Or are my chances great enough to take the risk and just relocate without the job lined up?

Please advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 01:53 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,191 times
Visit Skype or similar VoIP offering and get a Dallas phone number. With Skype, you use your computer and a headset as your telephone. Or a low end pay as you go cell phone. Don't give your street address but use your email for contact. If necessary, look up a post office box company in Dallas and get a postal box (not the post office).

Collections and call centers should have opportunities for you. Sometimes just taking the plunge and making the move can be a good idea. The cost of living should be close to the same as where you are. How long can you survive without a job?

Old 01-13-2010, 02:13 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,455,230 times
If you come here without a job, do you have some savings to live off of for a bit? Money for an apartment? A friend to live with temporarily?

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 01-13-2010 at 02:38 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 02:20 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,755,733 times
IMO, your chances of getting a job are better if you live here first.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
If you come here without a job, do you have some savings to live off of for a bit? Money for an apartment? A friend to live with temporarily?
I do have money saved. I plan to stay in an extended stay or similar. I can afford to go atleast 3-4mths with worry. But after that I would really be pushing.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Visit Skype or similar VoIP offering and get a Dallas phone number. With Skype, you use your computer and a headset as your telephone. Or a low end pay as you go cell phone. Don't give your street address but use your email for contact. If necessary, look up a post office box company in Dallas and get a postal box (not the post office).

Collections and call centers should have opportunities for you. Sometimes just taking the plunge and making the move can be a good idea. The cost of living should be close to the same as where you are. How long can you survive without a job?
Thanks that sounds like great advice!

Old 01-13-2010, 07:02 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,130,934 times
I moved here from Miami back in October. I did NOT have a job when I moved here, just money saved up and I even arrived sight unseen with no apartment. Within a month I was already working.

What I learned it that you will most likely get hired here through employment agencies. Almost all jobs these days over here are contracted out through emplyment agencies...so you have options. Most people go to a company, find out who they "hire" through, and then go to that agency. It's kind of strange but that's how it is.

You can just put your Florida cell on the resume and it's no big deal because so many people here are from other places and keep their cell number...no one will think twice. Regarding the adress for applications or resumes, just make one up. Go on google and put down a random address for a McDonald's or whatever. It doesn't matter because no one will contact you via snail mail or visit your "home." What matters is that you have a working cell and email.

As soon as you apply online, agencies will call you to come in for testing...so don't apply for jobs too long before you are here.

If you show up without a job, it shouldn't be a problem. Just hit the agencies...but keep in mind most will require you to fill out online applications first...so if you can get a headstart, do that form Florida now.

You will find work in any of te fields you have worked in. Many jobs are in Irving and Plano, so keep that in mind also. Living in North Dallas would be a convenient area to look for housing in initially because it would put you in the middle of where the jobs are.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,016,278 times
Since you have mortgage collector experience do a search for "Loss Mitigation jobs". Plenty of major mortgage companies and temp agencies are hiring for these positions. Most can't keep up with the demand. If it were me I would move to the area and find the cheapest apartment I could find. I would try hard for a 6 month lease so when I get settled I could get out quick.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I moved here from Miami back in October. I did NOT have a job when I moved here, just money saved up and I even arrived sight unseen with no apartment. Within a month I was already working.

What I learned it that you will most likely get hired here through employment agencies. Almost all jobs these days over here are contracted out through emplyment agencies...so you have options. Most people go to a company, find out who they "hire" through, and then go to that agency. It's kind of strange but that's how it is.

You can just put your Florida cell on the resume and it's no big deal because so many people here are from other places and keep their cell number...no one will think twice. Regarding the adress for applications or resumes, just make one up. Go on google and put down a random address for a McDonald's or whatever. It doesn't matter because no one will contact you via snail mail or visit your "home." What matters is that you have a working cell and email.

As soon as you apply online, agencies will call you to come in for testing...so don't apply for jobs too long before you are here.

If you show up without a job, it shouldn't be a problem. Just hit the agencies...but keep in mind most will require you to fill out online applications first...so if you can get a headstart, do that form Florida now.

You will find work in any of te fields you have worked in. Many jobs are in Irving and Plano, so keep that in mind also. Living in North Dallas would be a convenient area to look for housing in initially because it would put you in the middle of where the jobs are.
Thank you soooo much for your response. You gave me the insight I was loking for. An I'm more comfortable making the move no considering it's coming from someone who has don the same. And even more so because you're from Florida too, lol! I notic you said you arrive with no apt. Did you find one whn you arived or didi you stay in a hotel or did you already have relatives/friends to stay with?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Since you have mortgage collector experience do a search for "Loss Mitigation jobs". Plenty of major mortgage companies and temp agencies are hiring for these positions. Most can't keep up with the demand. If it were me I would move to the area and find the cheapest apartment I could find. I would try hard for a 6 month lease so when I get settled I could get out quick.
That's even better. That's the departmnt I want to get into. Over here Loss Mitt departments have very few people. Like 4-10. So they don't have many openings and you most likely have to know someone to get in. AS for the apt. I think I may live in a hotel for a while before I do that. That way I can move around. But I'm not sure of the decent extended stay type hotels and somewhat confused about the areas of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas