U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 03:30 AM

5 posts, read 15,852 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a church in Dallas that is not Fellowship Church, Watermark, or Trinity? I know people that go to these churches and I'm sure they work for them but it just wasn't for me. I wasn't sure if it was the megachurch feeling or watching preaching on a screen that I disliked. I wasn't impressed with the preaching either. I also felt like some people were there to be seen or look for a date. However, I know its a Dallas thing to look hot and I'm pretty sure most people attend to worship God. I grew up with hymns and choir so its also hard to get into the contemporary music but I guess all churches with a large young population are like that now. I liked Trinity the best but wanted to check out some other places before I went back.

I loved The Village in Highland Village but relocated to Desoto and it is now too far.

I think I am going to visit the following churches and see how I feel about them. Please let me know if you have any comments about them.

- Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship
- City Church International
- Reunion Church
- Skillman Bible Church
- Dallas Bible Church

Last edited by texashugs83; 06-06-2009 at 04:04 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 08:37 AM

19,800 posts, read 55,621,783 times
Most Episcopalian churchs are more traditional but still have a "youth" service some time. Go to the one nearest you to try it out. They have choirs and hymns but no shouting or TVs for sermons.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:34 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,975,109 times
Are you looking for a black church, white church, or multi-denominational church?

The largest church in Dallas is Bishop T.D. Jakes' The Potter's House. It's a largely black church, but there are other members as well. The other large megachurch I can think of in southern Dallas is Friendship West. First Baptist Church downtown has historically been one of the most influential churches of the Southern Baptist Convention--this is largely, though not entirely, thanks to their longtime pastor, W.A. Criswell. Billy Graham's only church membership for over fifty years, until this Christmas, was First Baptist, if that tells you anything about the church.

I'm not very familiar with the Protestant makeup of southern Dallas so those are the only recommendations I could give you.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:01 AM

83 posts, read 185,165 times
There are many Lutheran churches in the Dallas area - try one out.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,762 times
I go to Reunion and would be happy to answer any questions if that would be helpful. Cheers- Jason

Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,647 times
You may have had a similar experience... I found that Watermark was frighteningly lacking in diversity considering it sits on the cusp of one of the largest interchanges (75 & 635) in one of the largest cities in the U.S.
I wish I could find a church as welcoming and diverse as The Woodlands Church (Houston) right here in the DFW area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or