U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:35 PM

31 posts, read 109,139 times
Default How are DALLAS And Houston different?

Have been living in Dallas for about 6 months, other than jobs, the reason that makes me stay is the weather and affordable housing. I do not prefer living in a place with a lot of snow.Also do not like living in small spaces.what other liberal cities in US fit the bill?
Dallas is pretentious, you are treated as well as you dress and show off. Paid off older cars are for losers. I am able to ignore it as part of the trashy american capitalism, and look beyond and think about the desirable factors of dallas, which kind of outweighs the redneck culture for me. Just make a mental picture of a typical southern man and woman, and multiply by a million , it fits the bill, you know what to expect.
Would like to get the points as to how dallas and Houston are generally different, from people who have lived in both places Which place is more liberal and desirable to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 12:50 PM

14,874 posts, read 21,752,901 times
Based on your previous posts............ move to the first apartments that were recommended that you did not care to look at since too many people recommended them on here (you thought they were agents or something). I'm being serious. If your not happy here in the Dallas area then your not going to be happy in Houston on your budget. You also will not find anything that is in a safe area for a single female on your budget unless it has gone up considerably. You have been here about 6 months now........ your lease should be close to up so go check out The Village Apartments like everyone first suggested. Then give up on the attitudes you seem to think everyone here has. If your single and living in a safe complex for singles your going to find a different attitude no matter where you live be it Dallas or Houston. Both of these cities have been good to an awful lot of people and given them hope that they can be successful in their careers and provides them a lower cost of living. They CAN live somewhere safe that is fun for professional singles like The Village. Maybe you could become a little more outgoing and find some friends and then you would not have to worry about other peoples attitudes......... just a thought.

I don't know of any liberal warm weather city that you can live somewhere in a safe area on your budget and not be around pretentious people.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 PM

540 posts, read 1,062,711 times
You don't want to live in small spaces, but you want a liberal area? Haven't you made the connection between "liberal" (in the USA) and excessive cost of living?

Old 06-15-2009, 01:16 PM

31 posts, read 109,139 times
How about Seattle and Portland? I love the rain,(perfect if it would rain most days)! How would Seattle or portland compare with Dallas or HOUSTON?

I could spent more money on rent but I dont want to,I guess my liberalism works that way.

Last edited by aluva; 06-15-2009 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 12:42 AM

9,909 posts, read 9,756,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluva View Post
Have been living in Dallas for about 6 months, other than jobs, the reason that makes me stay is the weather and affordable housing. I do not prefer living in a place with a lot of snow.Also do not like living in small spaces.what other liberal cities in US fit the bill?
Dallas is pretentious, you are treated as well as you dress and show off. Paid off older cars are for losers. I am able to ignore it as part of the trashy american capitalism, and look beyond and think about the desirable factors of dallas, which kind of outweighs the redneck culture for me. Just make a mental picture of a typical southern man and woman, and multiply by a million , it fits the bill, you know what to expect.
Would like to get the points as to how dallas and Houston are generally different, from people who have lived in both places Which place is more liberal and desirable to live?
Honestly if you feel this way, you should just leave Texas. Youre not going to feel any better living in Houston.

I can tell by your post that contrary to what youd like to portray, youre a very closed minded individual. If you live some place for 6 months and think you know it, youre generally wrong.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluva View Post
Aluva, I now live in the upper east coast and I don't quite see how you think that people in Dallas are that pretentious. I distinctly remember people being quite friendly and accepting (something that I have yet to experience in Boston and New York). I know that you may have met some close-minded people, but believe me when I say that they are everywhere. If a liberal city is what you are looking for, then check out Austin, but if let your perceptions get in the way of meeting some really cool people then you may in fact be the one with the closed mind. I miss Dallas like you can't even begin to understand and no, I didn't grow up there. I am originally from New Orleans.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:44 AM

15,920 posts, read 24,443,609 times
Dallas County swept nearly every Republican out of office in 2006. We have a lesbian sheriff, a black DA, a hispanic school super, a gay county judge and county clerk, we've had two Jewish female mayors, a black mayor, and we nearly elected a gay mayor. So how liberal do you like?

Old 06-16-2009, 12:01 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,530,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Dallas County swept nearly every Republican out of office in 2006. We have a lesbian sheriff, a black DA, a hispanic school super, a gay county judge and county clerk, we've had two Jewish female mayors, a black mayor, and we nearly elected a gay mayor. So how liberal do you like?
Excellent post--this obviously sounds like the conservative cesspool that everyone thinks Dallas is.

Also noteworthy for those who may not know is that the lesbian sheriff is also Latina.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:02 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,530,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
You don't want to live in small spaces, but you want a liberal area? Haven't you made the connection between "liberal" (in the USA) and excessive cost of living?
What's Plano's excuse then?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:06 PM

15,920 posts, read 24,443,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Excellent post--this obviously sounds like the conservative cesspool that everyone thinks Dallas is.

Also noteworthy for those who may not know is that the lesbian sheriff is also Latina.
Good point. We also almost elected a transgendered person to the city council. A lot of prominent people in Dallas worked on her campaign. And she is Latina as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas