U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2008, 09:29 PM

3,902 posts, read 5,261,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
When I go shop at Fry's Electronics and I see the homes in Emerald Valley, I often wonder WHY anyone would want to live so close to a major freeway and retail stores, and in a neighborhood that is doomed to have conjested traffic, noise, and light pollution 24/7/365...
It seems to be that "new is better" mentality... no matter where its' located that we've seen a lot of lately.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,197 times
Thumbs down Pretty Homes at least on the inside but terrible location

I work close to Emerald Valley and drove through the neighborhood today just looking at new homes (but am currently not in the market for one). I went into one of the completed available homes. Nice inside, but the backyard is tiny. The view out several of the windows is terrible. Houses are packed together with little front yard. Alleys are very narrow. My biggest complaint about the neighborhood is the location. While it has the advantage of being close to a highway to get to work, the location is surrounded by big stores. When you drive out of the neighborhood you are confronted with the rear of Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy. It doesn't feel like a neighborhood. It feels like a bunch of houses dropped down in the middle of a commercial zone. I love all these stores but would never want them as neighbors! When I was in one of the homes by myself today just looking around ,I listened carefully. There is a constant noise of traffic from both the back side of the neighorhood, the store parking lots and the highways. I really think the only appeal to this neighborhood is that it is new. Also the homes have little character. I felt like I was in a neighborhood of wanna-be macmansions. Each home was a mix and match of different styles and material with no consistent them.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:09 AM

14 posts, read 27,830 times
Default Emerald Valley in Las Colinas - Horrible Location, Not Even "Las Colinas"

I'm a long-time resident of Irving in Las Colinas and also a real estate investor. When the houses in Emerald Valley were being built, everyone who lives in Irving, knew it was a terrible location. If you can choose a house in Las Colinas, you do not want to be in Emerald Valley. Here are the reasons:

1) Literally right off a busy highway

2) Literally right next to and under a large water tower. If it ever leaks or breaks, your house will be completely underwater. Worst yet, you and your home will be washed away

3) Not in more prestigious "Las Colinas" as Emerald Valley claims, but is in Valley Ranch. The house prices reflect this - Las Colinas homes are more expensive because it is near the more prestigious golf courses, Four Seasons Resort, and large corporations. Las Colinas homes tend to hold its value or increase more than homes in Valley Ranch.

4) Adjacent to Large Retail Stores. Literally right there, as if the homes sprouted up in these stores' parking lot. The land should not have been zoned for these builders since it is in a retail strip area and really is an eyesore.

The homes in Emerald Valley are priced below homes in Las Colinas because they are really not in Las Colinas, but are in Valley Ranch. However, they are more expensive than they should be for Valley Ranch, because they are capitalizing on the "Las Colinas" name. I, for one, think it is deceptive, and think that they're able to sell homes to out-of-towners who think they are buying a house in Las Colinas, which will go up in value. These buyers' realtors should disclose to them, these homes are not in Las Colinas, but in Valley Ranch, as is these homes' neighbors - Best Buy, Home Depot, and 24 Hour Fitness.

If you are looking for real Las Colinas homes, look in University Park (for equivalent size homes, but better neighborhood near lakes and parks and is gated), Hackberry (more expensive homes), Fox Glen (more expensive homes), Cottonwood (gated mix of old and new expensive homes), and then there is TPC Enclave (most exclusive guard-gated neighborhood in Las Colinas and features a small group of estate homes on the Four Seasons Hotel Resort golf course.)

Old 11-02-2008, 02:37 AM

14 posts, read 27,830 times
Default A Note About La Vallita from an Insider

La Vallita homes are nice-looking, but again, the location is not good, and the price is not good. Here are the reasons:

1) Right off very busy and congested 635 highway

2) Down Wind of a Horse Stable (You can smell the horse manure right near the highway entrance sometimes.)

3) More mega apartments than single-family homes. More transients because of renters.

4) Lots and therefore backyard are outrageously small. Homes are back-to-back and when you have to drive your car through the common area streets and alleyway to park in your garage, you have to drive very carefully because the streets are very narrow. When people park on the streets because they can't fit their large cars in the garage, then it gets really congested.

5) For the size of the homes and location, plus mixing large apartments near the single-family homes in an un-gated community, the homes are overpriced for what you are getting.

6) Since the beginning of the La Vallita development, the new home prices have gone down. In other words, the first customers buying these homes watched their home value go down over the years as the overbuilding at La Vallita caused the builders there to lower the new homes prices. Originally, the homes were offered at $500k to $800k.

Now homes here run between $450k to $600k, which unfortunately, is a joke since they are built by mass builders, on top of all the above that was mentioned.

You can find homes the same size and quality for a lot less at $345K to $500K in the University Park community (no apartments here, too, and is gated so that is a major plus) or at Hackberry at $400K to $600k (same price, but is gated, and the homes have larger yards.) Best of all, these communities are not downwind of a horse stable.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:57 AM

709 posts, read 2,350,949 times
Emerald Valley is CFBISD to the best of my knowledge. I don't know if it is the entire subdivision or just part but I do know some children go to Freeman. Freeman is Recognized/Exemplary school and does very well regardless of TAKS. They offer parent meetings bi-monthly and family event nights several times a year.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,576 times
Smile Emerald Valley Resident

We built our home in Emerald Valley over a year ago and have been extremely happy. When we were first looking for land to build, our realtor thought we wouldn't like living so close to retail. The open floor-plan and the craftsmanship from the builder is what sold us. I would say Monterrey is ABOVE average. We have had hardly any issues at all other than the normal things new homes go through. We are people who don't like to spend a lot of time going through stop lights, so we felt the location was PERFECT. As for traffic, there is NONE. You exit off 635 and your home. It's perfect for people who travel (7 miles from DFW and 15 from Lovefield). The MAIN downfall to the neighborhood is that the homes are close together and they are still cookie cutter homes. There is also no community pool (although there is a park nearby). As for the School districts, Phase 2 is in the Coppell ISD and Phase 1 is Farmers Branch, we never found the builder to be misleading.

All in all, the floor plan, the builder and the location is what sold us. We are completely happy. Not to mention the other neighborhoods we looked at are having trouble selling with the slow economy, but Emerald Valley is THRIVING. No other neighborhood is selling as well as EV, not even La Villita, which is pretty but crowded.

So apparently there are plenty of people who like the location Emerald Valley.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,415 times
Texas reinvestor: Did you mean to say "University Hills" or "University Park"? One is in Irving and the other is near Dallas.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,090 times
I know this is an old thread, but in response to InTheKnow2008's question, Texas RE investor was actually referring to a subdivision in Las Colinas named University Park, not the University Park in Dallas. To make it even more confusing, there is also a subdivision in Las Colinas named University Hills that is right next to University Park.

Last edited by I Luv Las Colinas; 04-10-2009 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-04-2010, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,373 times
Do yourself a favor and buy elsewhere. Emerald Valley HOA is a total mess. We live in the Ryland Homes townhomes here in Emerald Valley and have had lots of issues, not only with construction but with our HOA, they don't do their job. We pay $150 a month and see nothing for it. Weeds on our lawn, don't trim the over grown hedges unless we chase them down and tell them to and yet they harass for everything. Stay away from here!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,179 times
Would like to respond to two of the posters:

@texasreinvestor - You are are wrong - these properties are in Las Colinas (check the map). Also, we are having to pay a fee to Las Colinas Association every year.

@Johnnyiris - The HOA you are refering to is for your Town homes. Emerald Valley has a different HOA than yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas