Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 05:15 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
rgb123 from the 'Why are people in Dallas so rude and pretentoous' thread:
Why are people in Dallas so rude and pretentious?

" I stopped at a 7-11 and I felt like I almost froze over with all the "coolness" around me ...somehow I KNOW not everyone was in that big of a hurry, but it seemed like the cool thing to do...look at me, I'm gonna brush through this 7-11 and get my drink and get out of here! I'm important!? "

Irrational is an attempt to label the attitude of an entire city from a experience at 7-11.
not exactly. I've stated, multiple times, that was my impression based on my limited experience in Dallas.

The fact that people cannot enter into a conversation about a negative impression is what is troublesome. People would rather jump all over the traveller that had a bad experience than admit to any sort of possible negativity associated with their perfect city. In fact, on no other occasion in my time of posting on city-data have more people tried to make me appear stupid to the point of being completley irrelevant.

I am in fact quite intelligent and this display on the Dallas board is most intriguing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 06:08 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
not exactly. I've stated, multiple times, that was my impression based on my limited experience in Dallas.

The fact that people cannot enter into a conversation about a negative impression is what is troublesome. People would rather jump all over the traveller that had a bad experience than admit to any sort of possible negativity associated with their perfect city. In fact, on no other occasion in my time of posting on city-data have more people tried to make me appear stupid to the point of being completley irrelevant.

I am in fact quite intelligent and this display on the Dallas board is most intriguing.
True intellectuals usually have a level of rational thought that could discern only a certain percentage of the people in a given city would fall into a specific category.

I think the main reason you're unable to achieve a greater amount of civil conversations on the Dallas board, is you use negative generalizations that entangle everyone. Calling people of a city rude, pretentious and having inferiority complexes are personal attacks. People are naturally going to defend themselves and their respective city.

This has gone off topic. I done here.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:16 PM

Right. I entered into a conversation with my opinion, based on my experiences, never once stated it as fact...unlike many from the Dallas board who would like to present all of the negative things about Dallas as problems created by outsiders, completley lacking any factual basis. And if there were, I'd be interested to see it, not flat out emotional and defensive.

I didn't call an entire city anything. I simply entered into a conversation that was obviously, not factual and based on opinions, impressions and views. I'd certainly wanted to like Dallas and am liking it less and less because of these boards. Which is a shame.....this place is perpetuating the image instead of lessening the opinion I had begun to build.

Notice I said image and perception and opinion. Why am I not allowed to have an impression? I was honest about my impression and would love for it to change. Never presented it as factual. This board has not helped that impression at all.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:56 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you are right about those who bash DFW area. As for the weather, I can't imagine anyone, even the most loyal of loyalist saying anything positive about Dallas weather: it sucks. The winters do nothing except for an occassion snow or ice storm that is pretty (even if it is a ***** to drive in) The spring is ok, nothing like many places, most places in the country and the same with fall. Then we get to summer starting in late April or May and continuing until Oct most years. The heat would be barely bearable if the humidity wasn't 70 to 90% most of the time, day and night.
I'd disagree with you about the weather, Nita... and there is an enormous flow of people from cold weather zones into the warm (or hot) sunbelt. Not just here in the USA, but in Europe as well. Dallas' weather is actually one of the reasons it is is growing so quickly.

And no, there is no such thing as constant 90% humidity. Summer afternoons in Dallas have a relative humidity of about 35-45%.

You should realize that cold winters are much more lethal than warm summers, many more people die in the frigid winters.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post

You seem to be characterizing the people of Dallas based upon some perception you claim to have sniffed out in a 7-11. I don't know how anybody can judge 6 million people based on what they see in a convenience store. Since I'm one of those 6 million people, I presume you're including me in the rude and pretentious category. Well look here, bud, I have the right to tell you I don't like your tone and I don't like you.

Go offend people somewhere else, or better yet, learn some manners. Unfortunately for you, we have a standard of public courtesy here that's a little more stringent than the one you grew up in.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
You really should consider consulting facts before posting if you going to make posts like that (Comparing Orlando to DFW in size is pretty ignorant, even if you do look at CSA, DFW is larger than Miami). Im not here to defend Dallas or DFW, Im here to defend the truth.

The truth is that DFW IS the 4th largest MSA in the USA. Thats not debatable thats fact. If you would rather point to CSA numbers than DFW is the 7th.

But first you need to understand what the difference is between CSA and MSA. CSA's are merely regional populations. They dont have economic ties to one another and function on more than one economy. MSA's are economically bound and function as one economy (almost like a huge city).

There is a reason DC and Baltimore arent an MSA. Same with San Francisco and San Jose. They have independant economies. However there are reasons, that Los Angeles and Orange County, Dallas and Fort Worth, and Miami and Fort Lauderdale are MSA. They function as one economy.

You really need to reasearch your numbers better if you going to make claims that are way off.
Very well stated, LAnative10.

If I could add a bit to your explanation, I'd mention that an MSA has a unified transport pattern, in which there is heavy traffic between and across all the counties in an MSA. Tarrant County is part of the Dallas MSA because about 30% of its workforce commutes to Dallas county. In the case of the San Jose and San Fran MSAs, there is not enough traffic between them to consolidate them into a single MSA.

Bottom line... a true city, or MSA, exists to the extent that its separate parts are physically accessible to one another. The people of Northern California do not consider San Jose as accessible to San Fran, as determined by their commute patterns. So the San Fran and San Jose MSAs are truly separate "cities".

Old 06-21-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
You seem to be characterizing the people of Dallas based upon some perception you claim to have sniffed out in a 7-11. I don't know how anybody can judge 6 million people based on what they see in a convenience store. Since I'm one of those 6 million people, I presume you're including me in the rude and pretentious category. Well look here, bud, I have the right to tell you I don't like your tone and I don't like you.

Go offend people somewhere else, or better yet, learn some manners. Unfortunately for you, we have a standard of public courtesy here that's a little more stringent than the one you grew up in.

Here we go....this is exactly what I am talking about....and once again. I didn't judge 6 million people....but thats falling on deaf ears here.

This is not what I call courtesy at all, not even remotley nice.

I guess I should apologize for the impression I had of Dallas during a business trip? I know it must have sounded a bit harsh, but its the honest truth. My opinion.

You don't like me? Great. I just don't see the great manners and friendliness of Dallas at all, not if these boards are any indication.

People have negative things to say about Chicago all the time...which is where I am from. I don't jump all over them and tell them its their problem. I might take it to heart and try to see where they were coming from, and hope they have a better experience next time and maybe give them some tips. Thats friendliness.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:40 PM

77 posts, read 227,789 times
R u kiddn with this thread? Nuff yankees here already. DFW is best city onda planet.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I'd disagree with you about the weather, Nita... and there is an enormous flow of people from cold weather zones into the warm (or hot) sunbelt. Not just here in the USA, but in Europe as well. Dallas' weather is actually one of the reasons it is is growing so quickly.

And no, there is no such thing as constant 90% humidity. Summer afternoons in Dallas have a relative humidity of about 35-45%.

You should realize that cold winters are much more lethal than warm summers, many more people die in the frigid winters.
I was being facious (spelling?) I know the average humidity isn't 90%, but there are not many hours of the day with a humidity of 35%. Of course there are many from the cold belt that move to the sunbelt. Heck, probably 25% of the people here or maybe more have left Minn, Wis, NE, etc for better weather as well as many from Texas that will tell you they came here because of the horrible Texas summers.

I don't think many people move because one season is more lethal than another, they move for comfort. Heck, as I said, I love Texas, but no matter what you say, the weather in Dallas sucks in my opinion.

Nita

Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 AM

893 posts, read 1,579,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was being facious (spelling?) I know the average humidity isn't 90%, but there are not many hours of the day with a humidity of 35%. Of course there are many from the cold belt that move to the sunbelt. Heck, probably 25% of the people here or maybe more have left Minn, Wis, NE, etc for better weather as well as many from Texas that will tell you they came here because of the horrible Texas summers.

I don't think many people move because one season is more lethal than another, they move for comfort. Heck, as I said, I love Texas, but no matter what you say, the weather in Dallas sucks in my opinion.

Nita
I'll second that and add to it. The entire state of Texas weather sucks. We have 2 seasons, winter and summer. I'll take the terrible summer over terrible winters though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas