U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:11 PM

13 posts, read 19,480 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody-- I am a 35 y/o guy, married with 3 young kids (3, 5, 7) who is moving to Dallas over the next couple months. this is a difficult move as we have a lot of family here in minneapolis and know virtually nothing about Dallas area.

I'd appreciate any recommendations on addressing some of our questions:

1. I'll be working downtown. I'd prefer a 20 minute commute (is this realistic?). My wife and I do not know anybody in this area so I feel like living in a "community" type place with a pool, park, etc. may be a good idea to connect us to make friends. any thoughts? I'd like to spend in the 200-325 range. (should I rent a house?)

2. what do you do for fun? I'll say I love the lakes, outdoors (camping, hiking, etc.).

3. any general comments on culture, community, etc. There is only so much research I can do online--we are coming down on july 5th-7th to check out the area. I have heard west Plano is cool...but maybe too long of a commute for me?

I very much appreciate anybody's comments--we are scared/nervous/excited at the same time. our goal is to enjoy our time together as a family in a cool environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 04:40 PM

4,365 posts, read 11,420,615 times
First thing you will need to do is expand your commute time. 20 minutes is not going to be doable unless you live in the city itself. I know a few folks who moved here from Minnesota and the settled in Plano. They have been very happy with their choice. I will tell you to be prepared for the heat. It is going to be largest adjustment you will have to make. 35-45 minutes is going to be your average commute from most of the burbs. Plenty of lakes around the area if your into fishing and water sports. Goodluck on your home search.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:24 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,828,971 times
What's your price range?

Old 06-24-2009, 06:45 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,981,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
What's your price range?
I believe he said 200-325.

That may be a little low for West Plano.

You could definitely buy a nice house in a neighborhood with a strong community in that price range in Dallas proper, particularly North Dallas\, but the public schools aren't very strong so you'd also have to add between $5k-$25k per year per child to live there.

Lakewood and/or M-Streets would be a good fit for you, and the K-5 schools are excellent. The 6-12 schools aren't as great but are improving, and it's probably got one of the strongest "community" feels in Dallas. It's also definitely within 20 minutes of downtown, even with rough traffic.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:13 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,963,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post

It won't get him into Willow Bend, but he could score a house in Wentworth or in some of the communities on the west side of the Tollway in Plano for that much. The houses around Daffron El. feed into Plano West and go for that range.

OP, I moved from Minnesota to Plano in 2000. You can PM me any specific questions you might have.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:36 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,514,867 times
More like 10 minutes to downtown (no need to get on a freeway) from Lakewood area - search in 75214 and 75206, also part of 75223. WWHS is ranked as one of the top schools in America by Newsweek for its AP program and will offer IB in fall of 2010. Long Middle School will join with the IB Middle Years Programme in 2012, and then it will be rolled out (Primary Years Programme) to two or three elementaries, most likely Lakewood and Stonewall Jackson - Lipscomb, Mount Auburn and R.E. Lee are already jumping in to be the third. All are good schools but Stonewall and Lakewood are considered the 'best' by the folks with the bucks - both earned Blue Ribbons.

If you are in town come to the Lakewood 4th of July Parade and I think you will be impressed:

http://www.lakewoodparade.com/

Also you should join http://lecpta.org/

Old 06-24-2009, 07:41 PM

23,972 posts, read 32,691,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post

You could definitely buy a nice house in a neighborhood with a strong community in that price range in Dallas proper, particularly North Dallas\, but the public schools aren't very strong so you'd also have to add between $5k-$25k per year per child to live there.

Lakewood and/or M-Streets would be a good fit for you, and the K-5 schools are excellent. The 6-12 schools aren't as great but are improving, and it's probably got one of the strongest "community" feels in Dallas. It's also definitely within 20 minutes of downtown, even with rough traffic.
Where in Lakewood can you buy a decent house (not a townhouse or condo) for $200k-$235k??????

Old 06-24-2009, 07:47 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,981,392 times
I meant more M-Streets than Lakewood, but I believe there are ranches in Lakewood that go for that price (probably closer to $325 to $200).

Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 PM

2,982 posts, read 8,360,134 times
Could you come down a little earlier and make it for July 4th? You will see the best of what Lakewood has to offer in it's community feel with the parade.
Lakewood Parade

Everyone from the surrounding neighborhoods watch and participate. It's alot of fun!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:48 PM

338 posts, read 712,402 times
Lakewood and West Plano are probably out of your price range - with 3 young kids you'll want a 4-br, in both places you're starting at $500k and up. If you don't have much time in town, you may want to give them a lower priority.

I think you'd be happiest in Lake Highlands, myself. You can find something in your range, it's much closer to downtown than Plano, and a well-informed realtor can get you into excellent schools. The neighorhoods are super-tight...really a small-time feel. There's also Richardson, which is closer in to downtown and has some really lovely neighborhoods.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or