U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-20-2010, 11:40 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,748,981 times

Advertisements

whenever there is a mention of the southern burbs of Dallas being not as good as the north people get all crazy. I believe that where there is smoke there is fire.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,101,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
whenever there is a mention of the southern burbs of Dallas being not as good as the north people get all crazy. I believe that where there is smoke there is fire.
The poster who revived this thread asked a simple question about Cedar Hill neighborhoods and when they were built. We know that you don't like the southern suburbs and anytime one is mentioned, even when the topic is as non-controversial as the age of certain neighborhoods, you will have something negative to say.

People aren't getting "all crazy" by responding to your remarks. Those of who reside in the southern suburbs just refuse to let your claims and constant put downs about the cities in which we live go unchecked. You live in an entirely different region of this vast metro area and never lived in any of the communities that you frequently bash. We have chosen to in this area and know how our lifestyles are from day-to-day. You don't.

If a person from another community spent a few hours driving around Plano and then posted made-up figures regarding the city's demographic makeup, judged an entire city by the appearance of one gas station, and admitted that he was biased from the beginning as he doesn't like communities with its racial makeup, that person would have no credibility whatsoever. These are all things that you have done before in relation to the suburbs south of Dallas. I'm sure you would be doing the same as I am now: refuting false claims made by a judgmental non-resident with your first-hand knowledge as a person who lives in Plano.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:54 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,715,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
The poster who revived this thread asked a simple question about Cedar Hill neighborhoods and when they were built. We know that you don't like the southern suburbs and anytime one is mentioned, even when the topic is as non-controversial as the age of certain neighborhoods, you will have something negative to say.

People aren't getting "all crazy" by responding to your remarks. Those of who reside in the southern suburbs just refuse to let your claims and constant put downs about the cities in which we live go unchecked. You live in an entirely different region of this vast metro area and never lived in any of the communities that you frequently bash. We have chosen to in this area and know how our lifestyles are from day-to-day. You don't.

If a person from another community spent a few hours driving around Plano and then posted made-up figures regarding the city's demographic makeup, judged an entire city by the appearance of one gas station, and admitted that he was biased from the beginning as he doesn't like communities with its racial makeup, that person would have no credibility whatsoever. These are all things that you have done before in relation to the suburbs south of Dallas. I'm sure you would be doing the same as I am now: refuting false claims made by a judgmental non-resident with your first-hand knowledge as a person who lives in Plano.

Good post. I don't even know why people even waste their time with him and his bigoted, dumb, trolling remarks

Old 01-21-2010, 08:55 AM

216 posts, read 466,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
The biggest problem with the area, IMHO, is that the public schools aren't comparable to economically equivalent areas, be they north of downtown or rural Texas or wherever.

Cedar Hill ISD is probably the strongest urban district in southern Dallas Country, and it's not what most people would call a strong school district on the whole/ The TAKS scores aren't terrible but that's far from the only issue.
All Cedar Hill elementary schools are either recognized or exemplary. the 9th grade center is recognized, and Cedar Hill has an exemplary high school. There are NO unacceptable schools in Cedar Hill

McKinney, which is considered a great district has an unacceptable HS. Even Plano has an unacceptable school . perception, perception!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 PM

3,687 posts, read 7,596,250 times
It's a waste to time trying to convince some folks. They have nothing nice to say but I bet you a million bucks they could not find downtown Cedar Hill if their life depended on it. They could not find Cedar Hill high school and you can bet they have no idea what makes up the boundaries of Cedar Hill. I advise anyone to drive thru the nice neighborhood burbs in the south and north and make up your own mind.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,715,375 times
Saw this in another thread:

Quote:
Never underestimate the power of labels & stereotypes.

They make the uninformed feel knowledgeable.

Most people do not wish to explore the world we live in. Instead, they create surface definitions for places, things & people they do not understand as a way to organize a world they are not prepared to deal with.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:21 AM

200 posts, read 241,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethewindycity View Post
A couple months ago I posted my opinion about Cedar Hill and it was that I love it. Back then I was waiting to close on my new home and I am happy to announce that I now live there and have been for the past month. And guess what I LOVE it. As some might know I moved from Chicago 4 years ago, my husband and I decided to rent first and we chose Frisco. As a first impression Frisco was great, what more could we ask for, huge new homes, new shopping areas. But after a few months we were dying to leave, we actually considered leaving Texas for Florida. Instead we found a wonderful neighborhood in Old East Dallas, we bought a 100 year old home, restored it and thought we had our dream home. A couple years later we decided we were ready to move out of the city to move near a lake and have at least Ĺ an acre. I mentioned once before that I ran into some posts about South Dallas and it almost kept me from visiting. I was ready to just look into Rockwall, which is a nice place but much further to my work. Or Lakewood Village but that too is further from my work. My husband and I decided to take a ride to Cedar Hill and we were both unbelievably WOWED by the landscape in Cedar Hill. Whether you are driving into the city, driving through your neighborhood or sitting in your backyard the landscape is unbelievable. I know people have their own opinion but I do think that if someone has never been to Cedar Hill and just go by what others say you are missing out on a great and gorgeous area. People have this opinion that only North of Dallas is great, how the schools are better but then Iíve read plenty of posts where those same people tell others they should consider private schools. Why consider that if the school system is supposed to be great. I live in Cedar Hill and donít have one regret, concern or worry. I really hope that people take the time to drive around the area and make their own opinion, and for those of you who like to talk negative about it, come on out to Lake Ridge and then tell me if you really think West Plano is better. I believe that the landscape here is tough to beat by any of the northern cities.

Take a look at this link itís of my neighborhood Lake Ridge, what you see as far as landscape is all over the city not just one small area.

Texas Lake Property | Texas Lakefront Property | Joe Pool Lake Homes Watch the video and see an aerial view of Lake Ridge

Lake Ridge Video Select Play Slideshow
Wow. Nice I'm impressed....People have compared CedarHill/DeSoto/Dunacnville and Lancaster to Stone Mountain/Lithonia and Riverdale/Jonesboro here in metro Atlanta...and these areas in my opinion have alot to be desired... Yes you do have upwardly mobile African Americans living in these communities but they live in enclaves and pockets and the majority of the residents are albiet "working class" they don't place emphasis on educataion and the housing stock as a whole in these areas are SUBPAR compared to other places with the same incomes in Atlanta...nd they have been BEGGING for retail years until finally getting the lackluster Stonecrest...

So with ALL that being said its good to see that Cedar Hill area is bucking the "black middle class" trend. Are the other cities in Southwest Dallas County on par with Cedar Hill or is this city the exception??

Old 01-23-2010, 01:38 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,101,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
Wow. Nice I'm impressed....People have compared CedarHill/DeSoto/Dunacnville and Lancaster to Stone Mountain/Lithonia and Riverdale/Jonesboro here in metro Atlanta...and these areas in my opinion have alot to be desired... Yes you do have upwardly mobile African Americans living in these communities but they live in enclaves and pockets and the majority of the residents are albiet "working class" they don't place emphasis on educataion and the housing stock as a whole in these areas are SUBPAR compared to other places with the same incomes in Atlanta...nd they have been BEGGING for retail years until finally getting the lackluster Stonecrest...

So with ALL that being said its good to see that Cedar Hill area is bucking the "black middle class" trend. Are the other cities in Southwest Dallas County on par with Cedar Hill or is this city the exception??
I just posted a comparison of the BSW cities with those Atlanta suburbs on the Atlanta vs. Dallas thread. The Atlanta suburbs that Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Duncanville, and Lancaster are being compared with have lower median incomes, higher crime rates, and slower population growth rates than the Best Southwest communities. They may be similar with regards to racial makeup, but are siginificantly different on other measures.

Cedar Hill is the area's retail hub. Residents of Cedar Hill and DeSoto are mostly middle and upper middle income, while Duncanville and Lancaster are more middle income. With the exception of Duncanville, which is mostly built out, the other cities are among the fastest growing cities in Dallas County. The housing stock is similar to that of other fast-growing suburbs in the Dallas-Fort Worth area - a mix of new homes, planned communities, and older, established neighborhoods.

Here are some examples of southwest Dallas County neighborhoods and housing:
CEDAR HILL
Sweeping Meadows Ln. – Lake Ridge at Joe Pool Lake
North Waterford Oaks Dr. – Waterford Oaks subdivision
McMackin St. – Typical suburban neighborhood
Samuel St. – High Pointe area

DESOTO
Whispering Oaks Dr. – Frost Farms Subdivision in West DeSoto
Hunters Creek Dr. – Established neighborhood on the east side.
Mantlebrook Dr. – Well established neighborhood in northwest DeSoto
Country Ridge Dr.

DUNCANVILLE
Fawn Ridge Dr.
Swan Ridge Dr.
Green Valley Ln.
Hummingird Ln.

LANCASTER
Augusta St. – Millbrook, a 1980s master-planned Community
Creekwood Dr. – Tree-lined, older neighborhood near Ten Mile Creek
Rawlins Dr. – Pleasant Run Estates subdivision
Westover Dr. – Brookhaven Estates, a middle class neighborhood of homes & duplexes
Lancaster Photos

Last edited by Acntx; 01-23-2010 at 01:48 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 07:10 AM

427 posts, read 971,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
It's a waste to time trying to convince some folks. They have nothing nice to say but I bet you a million bucks they could not find downtown Cedar Hill if their life depended on it. They could not find Cedar Hill high school and you can bet they have no idea what makes up the boundaries of Cedar Hill. I advise anyone to drive thru the nice neighborhood burbs in the south and north and make up your own mind.
those who make comments without seeing cedar hill are stuck in their world And they are afraid to see it because they don't want to have buyers remorse

Old 05-30-2010, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,971 times
I have lived in cedar hill since 2003, and it has been going down hill for the last couple of years. Cedar hill has the distinction of being the new oak cliff and its true. There are many nice homes in cedar hill, however many are now section 8 homes and the people moving to cedar hill are section 8 residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas