Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 74,874 times

Advertisements

Hello folks..
We are just moving from the NE to Dallas and buying a plot to build a house.The place has lot sizes of 6600,7600 and 8000+...
Do you think 7600 would be too small to build a 2 storey house of about 3500 sft..Will i be stuck with a miniature backyard?We have absolutely no clue about building houses and were wondering what wld be considered a decent sized lot.Also,this place is abt 2 miles from the airport.Apparently the houses will be soundproofed(compulsory by law)but does anyone know if its going to be too noisy outdoors?Thanks for having the patience to read through all this.Will appreciate any reply..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 12:27 AM

108 posts, read 487,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop78 View Post
Hello folks..
We are just moving from the NE to Dallas and buying a plot to build a house.The place has lot sizes of 6600,7600 and 8000+...
Do you think 7600 would be too small to build a 2 storey house of about 3500 sft..Will i be stuck with a miniature backyard?We have absolutely no clue about building houses and were wondering what wld be considered a decent sized lot.Also,this place is abt 2 miles from the airport.Apparently the houses will be soundproofed(compulsory by law)but does anyone know if its going to be too noisy outdoors?Thanks for having the patience to read through all this.Will appreciate any reply..
Are the lots 50, 60, or 70 ft lots?? What is the depth of the lots??

Old 06-28-2009, 03:19 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
my thought is that yes--a 7600 sq ft lot with a 3500 sq ft house would have a very small backyard...especially if there is an alley for rear garage...

there is usually a ratio based on the size of the lot and the city's rule for the % of allowed concrete that must be followed...

planes are not flying continuously over an airport but it depends very much on which part of their flight paths that subdivisions are located as to how much noise the houses under them receive...if you are two miles from airport and are 90 degrees from the flight path you will have much less noise than house that is directly under the flight path...

what neighborhood are you considering--maybe there is existing one built along similar lines so you can compare on MLS homes in both areas---is the one so new there are no existing homes to check out?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:40 AM

4 posts, read 74,874 times
Thanks..The plot we are considering is 65 by 120..The garages will have only front entry i guess.There are only 40 year old houses in the vicinity.You are right about the noise being more directly below the flight path.Will have to check that out..But do you have a rough idea of how many sqft of built up area i can get if i want a decent sized backyard...not too big...just okay kind of...Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:46 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I don't understand why you are considering buying this lot if you don't know the answers to your questions...
the people to ask are the people selling the lot...the developers

and how much looking have you done in THIS area...you sound very new and frankly I wonder if this is something that you will regret even before the house is finished...
frankly you NEED a realtor who is familiar with the area and can explain what your options/choices might cover...

Old 06-28-2009, 10:48 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Surrounded by 40 year old houses- are you looking near Love Field airport? Or DFW?
If Love Field, what neighborhood? There is builder activity in some of the surrounding areas that I would still consider a gamble....

I agree with pp that you need to enlist the help of a buyer's agent, stat. There are many parts or Dallas that suddenly flip from desireable neighborhood to not-so-desireable because of elementary school districts or other factors. You may think the growth is just a block or two away & your street is next, but it may never come...

You need a professional who will represent your best interests & not the builder.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:07 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
The builder has to pay your buyer's agent, not you. Of course, many builders offer some kind of incentive for you to use their agent only but it's just not worth it.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-28-2009 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-28-2009, 11:13 AM

108 posts, read 487,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop78 View Post
Thanks..The plot we are considering is 65 by 120..The garages will have only front entry i guess.There are only 40 year old houses in the vicinity.You are right about the noise being more directly below the flight path.Will have to check that out..But do you have a rough idea of how many sqft of built up area i can get if i want a decent sized backyard...not too big...just okay kind of...Thanks a lot in advance.
To answer that question, I would also need the dimensions on the home. The sq ft for the lot is 7,800 SF. If it's a two story home, you should get a good size yard vs. if it was a one story home. What's the base price on the home?? I agree with LovesToRead, you need to hire a Buyer's Agent. Obviously the Sales Counselor ins't giving you all the info that you need to make a decision on whether you should build in that community.

By the way which community & builder is it?? I guess my other question would be what are the standard features for this builder?? Are they offering any incentives towards upgrades or a % towards closing costs??

Old 06-28-2009, 02:38 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
In addition to percentage concrete, most cities have setback restrictions - the distance required from the property line.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:42 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
65' wide is ok but the 120 will leave you with a very small yard. You will have building lines aka setbacks for the front as well as the back and sides.

Depending on the footprint of the house and how much square footage is downstairs. Are you going to have to find your own builder? Some of them have floorplans that they offer. Having a custom home built is very expensive. You need to get all the information before you decide if this lot is right for you.

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: