Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:28 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Dallas is not known for having seasons. So I would say there is no real winter here in Dallas.
Dallas has seasons. Cities with no seasons are Phoenix, LA, Miami, Houston and San Diego. When you occasionally get snow in Dallas on Thanksgiving, you are not a warm weather city. I know you guys want to portray that but it's not true. Anyone who has flown extensively through DFW airport can attest to that due to the weather delays caused by bad weather in Dallas in the winter. Granted, Dallas does have odd years where it will be warm even in the winter but again, the key word being ODD, it's not usual for Dallas to have a year like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:30 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
If/When the question comes up "do you belong to a church?"/
But the fact that you even get asked that proves our point. People outside the south and other evangelical areas would be embarrassed to ask "do you belong to a church."

Old 07-13-2009, 06:47 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Really???? There are a LOT of people that come to Texas for vacation.

Uh, I've been to Colorado (all over the entire state for decades) and Denver too many times to count. I saw and dealt w/ plenty of traffic in Denver and on the highways and side streets that were busy and highly populated. Even saw litter in the crappy parts of town. It ain't all roses. I really do think you are seeing Denver with rose-colored glasses now only because you miss it. It does have its downsides and same issues w/ crime, gangs, litter, potholes, traffic that all cities the same size deal with.

FYI, I even own land in Colorado.

I seriously think you have put yourself in a position here in Texas out away from where most things are located that you probably want. Your an hour away from the Dallas City Limits. Of course it is going to take you a good 30 minutes to get to a mall being that far out and to the grocery stores that are more "diverse" like Trader Joe's (yes, I've been to one).

I!!!!!!

Dallas ain't all roses either (as you put it) and I think you all view Dallas with rose colored glasses. You can debate this all you want. But for me Denver and the state of Colorado is a much better place to live than here.

I think you spend all this time defending Dallas and Texas because people are always trashing it. Look at other states forums. I don't see any threads getting the abuse the Texas forum does.

Lets face it, Texas has always been made fun of by people in other states. more than any other, besides Alabama or Arkansas. nobody here can change that.

FYI Owning land in Colorado is not a big deal, it's cheap in many areas.
Owning a ski resort (like the wealthy Texans do) is something to brag about.

By the way it's nice to know you have been vacationing in the beautiful state of Colorado for decades ( geez how old are you?). It's is wonderful there though I know.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
But the fact that you even get asked that proves our point. People outside the south and other evangelical areas would be embarrassed to ask "do you belong to a church."
I really don't give a rat's ass what you think is embarrassing.

For starters, the question is "what church do you attend," because most people around here generally go to church.

I cannot fathom how it's embarrasing to ask "what church do you go to?" It's usually just a common courtesy question you ask, like "how are the kids doing?" Religion is important here, but "we don't go to church" is an acceptable answer and isn't gonna get you ostracized.

I can't see what the big deal is. If they were to go on and make disparaging comments about the church, it would be different, but that doesn't happen here.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:48 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,133 times
Quote:
Dallas has seasons. Cities with no seasons are Phoenix, LA, Miami, Houston and San Diego. When you occasionally get snow in Dallas on Thanksgiving, you are not a warm weather city. I know you guys want to portray that but it's not true. Anyone who has flown extensively through DFW airport can attest to that due to the weather delays caused by bad weather in Dallas in the winter. Granted, Dallas does have odd years where it will be warm even in the winter but again, the key word being ODD, it's not usual for Dallas to have a year like that.
It is one hundred and five degrees today here. What the HELL is your definition of a warm-weather city if that doesn't qualify.

Snow on Thanksgiving is very rare. Mid-40s to 50s is more common. I can usually go play football in my backyard in a t-shirt and shorts. Dallas does not often have bad weather in the winter. We will have an ice storm about once a year, and the reason it causes delays is because we aren't used to it because we are a warm weather city.

Cold, cold winters are odd, not temperate ones.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:

10 Reasons to Choose Dallas for your Next Meeting (http://www.visitdallas.com/plan_a_meeting/why_dallas/ - broken link)

Outdoor year-round climate
  • Average year-round temperature ranges from 44 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. (Average temperature is 66 degrees)
North Dallas, Texas - Relocation Guide

Climate
Many people relocate to Dallas because of its weather. Dallas offers a mild year-round climate, allowing residents to enjoy their favorite outdoor pastimes in almost every season. Jogging, bicycling, gardening and boating are year-round pleasures for many of our residents.

July is the warmest month, and although the almanac indicates an average temperature of 80 degrees, it is not uncommon for temperatures to reach the 90s and sometimes soar above 100 degrees. The coldest month of the year is January, with an average temperature of 44 degrees. At times, Dallas winter temperatures have been known to drop below freezing. At least one day of snow can be expected during the winter months, but accumulation is minimal. Sudden changes in weather can be characteristic of the area; hence the old Texas saying, “If you don’t like the weather, wait a little while. It’ll change.”

Old 07-13-2009, 10:02 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,034 times
Quote:
Dallas ain't all roses either (as you put it) and I think you all view Dallas with rose colored glasses. You can debate this all you want. But for me Denver and the state of Colorado is a much better place to live than here.
Are you still here? You haven't been banned yet? Well, I guess not.

You're entitled to your opinions, however eccentric they may be, but the fact remains... DFW and Texas are much more succesful in attracting people than Denver and Colorado... and the more succesful they are, the more losers come out to try to sour-grapes the obvious.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Are you still here? You haven't been banned yet? Well, I guess not.

You're entitled to your opinions, however eccentric they may be, but the fact remains... DFW and Texas are much more succesful in attracting people than Denver and Colorado... and the more succesful they are, the more losers come out to try to sour-grapes the obvious.

Because it's CHEAP!
Colorado people try and chase people out. Not very succesful.

Oh and not banned. ( how high school of you)
But if you want, we can meet in parking lot and fight after school. Nothing like a good cat fight!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:51 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
I really don't give a rat's ass what you think is embarrassing.

For starters, the question is "what church do you attend," because most people around here generally go to church.

I cannot fathom how it's embarrasing to ask "what church do you go to?" It's usually just a common courtesy question you ask, like "how are the kids doing?" Religion is important here, but "we don't go to church" is an acceptable answer and isn't gonna get you ostracized.

I can't see what the big deal is. If they were to go on and make disparaging comments about the church, it would be different, but that doesn't happen here.
I don't ask "where do you go to church" just to speak about my faith or whatever. I and most people, I'd say 95%, ask it as a way to find a common denominator. It is akin to asking a person you just met:
Where do you live?
Where are you from?
Kids? Ages?
Where do the kids go to school?
Where do you work?
Where do you go to church?

They may not go to church and they may not have kids but we still ask the questions. If someone said they don't go to church or don't have kids you just simply move on to the next question. No biggie at all. But if they name a church they go to then the next thing that might come up could be: Oh, we go there..........or, we know some people that go there. Do you know jane doe? I've even been answered w/, "when we go we go to abc church". No biggie at all. If someone does say they go somewhere and you happen to go there as well it makes a CONNECTION! WOW! They might then say being a "newbie" to the area, "we don't know anyone there yet but were wanting to go to the xxxx festival they are having. Is your family going? That is how friendships and connections are made.

Quote:
Colorado people try and chase people out. Not very succesful.
!
Well, they did get you to leave....... Sorry, couldn't help it on that one. Since you not being a native from Colorado and all . Moving there when your 16 doesn't make one a "native" . It just makes you part of the influx of people coming in that are causing the growth

Old 07-13-2009, 12:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Colorado people are a strange mix of California and Midwestern types if you ask me -- why is Cupcake trying to hijack the thread to Colorado? Because they hate Texans? We own a lot of Colorado and part of it used to be Texas. So get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas