Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:58 PM

136 posts, read 726,232 times

Advertisements

I have to say I like Richardson but the really strict zoning I'm not a fan of. I don't like the whole master planned vibe where everything is controlled by elitist politicians who tell everyone what they can with there land. My favorite city layout is Houston - no zoning and it has such an organic good vibe to it as opposed to the sterile feel of mater planned places. You have a restaurant, shopping center, hotel, office then an apartment etc. Richardson probably has that strictg zoning going on, I noticed most of there downtown is designed to all look alike in terms of design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 06:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
I have to say I like Richardson but the really strict zoning I'm not a fan of. I don't like the whole master planned vibe where everything is controlled by elitist politicians who tell everyone what they can with there land. My favorite city layout is Houston - no zoning and it has such an organic good vibe to it as opposed to the sterile feel of mater planned places. You have a restaurant, shopping center, hotel, office then an apartment etc. Richardson probably has that strictg zoning going on, I noticed most of there downtown is designed to all look alike in terms of design.
Uh, you sure your talking about Richardson, Texas? Their downtown has NO "all look alike" design to it at all. Have you even been to Richardson's "downtown" area? There are no two buildings that even look alike in "downtown" Richardson. There are also few "master planned" communities in Richardson. Spring Park is the largest and the home variety within it is vast from one end of the spectrum to the other. No tract homes in there. Well, in the ORIGINAL part. In many areas of Richardson there are "restaurants, shopping center, hotel, office then an apartment". Go down Spring Valley sometime. Heck, there are even liquor stores in Richardson next to mosques next to nice custom homes next to grocery stores, next to apartments and a bank.

Sorry, but the lack of zoning in Houston can also be a turn off.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:44 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,449 times
Like most things, the ideal is probably somewhere in between fascism and chaos as far as the zoning goes

Old 07-15-2009, 06:49 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,490,654 times
I work in the only "skyscraper" in downtown Richardson.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I work in the only "skyscraper" in downtown Richardson.
LOL!!!! I'm betting my kids dentist is in the same building.

I was going to give you a hard time and say something about how rough it must be to go down all 4 flights of stairs if the elevators are out. But the bank building is what, 12 stories. I'm still laughing over the term "downtown" for Richardson combined w/ "all look alike". I'd say Richardson has probably the MOST "hodge podge" of a downtown area than any other city/suburb around here.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:08 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,758,591 times
Are you talking about the Compass bank off of Coit? If so, that is considered downtown?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Are you talking about the Compass bank off of Coit? If so, that is considered downtown?
No, I'm talking about the bank building on the east side of 75 just north of Belt Line. The downtown area of Richardson is east of 75 at Belt Line/Main and going east towards Greenville. There really isn't much of a "downtown" IN Richardson.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,741,813 times
Blink and you'll miss it!

Remember the old fruit stand that used to be there, before DART came thru? Or Nichols Feed and Seed?

Old 07-16-2009, 07:39 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,490,654 times
I like the copy shop on the corner of Greenville and Main Street.

They always have a cute display in their window.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 AM

136 posts, read 726,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
Richardson probably has that strict zoning going on, I noticed most of there downtown is designed to all look alike in terms of design.
I am not referencing there pathetic historic main street which is hardly a downtown in any real sense. I mean the telecom corridor with Nortel and all the big office buildings. They all have a red brick theme to them which is highly unusual for large office buildings.

On that note, why are most houses in Richardson and to a greater extent north Dallas brick? Thats highly unusual on the west Coast so I would be interested in finding out why they are all like that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas