U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2007, 06:11 PM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 21,782,393 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB View Post
By you saying "to well"; what do you actually mean? DeSoto is very nice, and so is Cedar Hill; I know very little about Duncanville other than there is a large population of African Americans buying there because of the affordability & square footage of houses. And most of the people that I know in that area would never use "to" for "too". Where do you live? Most likely the "Garland" area, I'm sure!!!! And to shaunnol & seaunmaine; there are no "SAFE" areas; this includes Frisco & The Colony; DON'T YOU LISTEN TO THE NEWS OR READ THE PAPERS? I'd rather doubt you do being 22 and naive enough to think that someone could run fast enough to escape CRIME!!!
Where in the world did you get "Garland" from? FYI, the poster you referenced does not like Garland and lives in Arlington. I on the other hand DO live IN Garland and know the difference between "to" and "too". Even the best of us do commit typo's sometimes and that is a VERY easy one to commit if one is in a hurry. Geez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Big D -Dallas TX
100 posts, read 311,084 times
Reputation: 52
Most of the information typed on this board is strictly people opinions, however misguided that may be. Now for the two posters who told people to stay away form the southside, your post are completey without merit and fact, but that is why it is an opinion. You may have lived in a bad area on the southside. That is not the fault of an entire area. I'm guessing you did not do your research.
Duncanville is not new and sterile, but it is nowhere near bad as people would have you believe. There are areas that are shady. I think the issue is when minorities (African American) move to an area you will get white flight. Most of the people have similar pay scales as their white counter-parts because for the most part we all work at the same place in Dallas. It is all perception.
If you choose Duncanville go towards Cedar Hill. There is one poster on this page that would have you believe that if you live in or near C. Hill you will have significant respiratory issues just because he or she did. I am an asthmatic and a healthcare professional and have not had one problem. If your lungs are jacked up it doesn't matter where you live. It is completely dependent upon what YOUR lungs are sensitive to. They were probably more inflammed form tree pollen and grass pollen than the concrete plants.
My advise is to go to Duncanville and check it out carefully. Avoid area off of I-20 those may be shady. Go US-67 south and west. In this area your racial demographic will run the full spectrum (black, white, hispanic, asian, indian, ect.....) and your socio-economic demographic will go from very rich to very poor. You can buy a mansion, normal family home, or a shack. We have it all on the southside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2007, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Garland Texas
1,538 posts, read 4,494,972 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB View Post
By you saying "to well"; what do you actually mean? DeSoto is very nice, and so is Cedar Hill; I know very little about Duncanville other than there is a large population of African Americans buying there because of the affordability & square footage of houses. And most of the people that I know in that area would never use "to" for "too". Where do you live? Most likely the "Garland" area, I'm sure!!!! And to shaunnol & seaunmaine; there are no "SAFE" areas; this includes Frisco & The Colony; DON'T YOU LISTEN TO THE NEWS OR READ THE PAPERS? I'd rather doubt you do being 22 and naive enough to think that someone could run fast enough to escape CRIME!!!

Take a chill pill my friend? You are being a tad bit hypocritical getting upset at people making negative remarks about Ducanville, yet you say you hate Garland. Exactly how is it anyone in Garlands fault?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2007, 09:00 PM
 
18 posts, read 33,445 times
Reputation: 11
Having watched Duncanville/Lancaster over the last 20 years, I can say that there is a decline in the area. Neighborhoods vary, but whereas 20 years ago I would have moved to this part of the metroplex, now I would not. There are other areas that have better schools and better neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Status: "Two plus two still equals four." (set 1 hour ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
35,424 posts, read 17,949,012 times
Reputation: 20405
Lightbulb Don't Give Up

I've been encouraging people to move south for years because there is a lot of empty land out there that's ripe for development, and also because I don't want to see the Metroplex spilling over into Oklahoma. You can always try Red Oak and Ovilla, as those are further south and they show a lot of promise. I wouldn't press the panic button about Cedar Hill because people are still moving there and businesses are coming in and it is refreshing to see. I'm hoping and praying that Lancaster's school district will get their money problems solved, because that town does have tons of potential for new growth. And the Dallas Logistics Hub is going to be the best thing to happen to the southern sector and I think you will see a big difference when developers see the area and build there when the new jobs arrive. Now if they could just get Interstate 45 developed as a new gateway and get the eyesores out, we'll be in better shape.
Am I concerned about Duncanville? Yes, but the city's residents are going to have to take some ownership in addressing the aforementioned concerns and set goals to keep further decline from happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2007, 04:30 PM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 21,782,393 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I've been encouraging people to move south for years because there is a lot of empty land out there that's ripe for development, and also because I don't want to see the Metroplex spilling over into Oklahoma. You can always try Red Oak and Ovilla, as those are further south and they show a lot of promise. I wouldn't press the panic button about Cedar Hill because people are still moving there and businesses are coming in and it is refreshing to see. I'm hoping and praying that Lancaster's school district will get their money problems solved, because that town does have tons of potential for new growth. And the Dallas Logistics Hub is going to be the best thing to happen to the southern sector and I think you will see a big difference when developers see the area and build there when the new jobs arrive. Now if they could just get Interstate 45 developed as a new gateway and get the eyesores out, we'll be in better shape.
Am I concerned about Duncanville? Yes, but the city's residents are going to have to take some ownership in addressing the aforementioned concerns and set goals to keep further decline from happening.

I agree. It does not help the area, the schools, future developments, etc when you have parents that are calling the news every time their "baby" gets a bad mark or in trouble at school. Was it last fall when the parents all had a fit that their kids did not do their summer required reading before the first day of school or the year before? Anyway, this is a HUGE problem and it can feaster and create an area and economy that will turn what could be a good area into one that you want to avoid. When every other school district around that has just as many minorities can get good scores and grades and does not have a problem w/ kids doing their required work it just looks bad. That tells future developers and planners that if they DO build there they may have a problem finding enough qualified employees that are local. Trust me, as an employer it is nice to have a majority of your employees living close to work. Not only does it keep them from getting burnt out from long commutes but they have a sense of pride in their community and they are that much closer to home for their family. The only time the Lancaster or Duncaville ISD make the news now is when parents have complaints about the school punishing their "little princes" or "lil johnny" that NEVER gets in trouble. Like I mentioned before the Duncanville HS band once was a Royal Dynamo in this area. They were AWESOME!!!!! The people I know that grew up there and went thru the system all went on to college and have good careers. The area has changed and it is really sad and even these people that grew up there no longer see it as good as it once was. Maybe this summer the parents have instilled in their kids the importance of education. We will see when the news comes on the first day of school depending on how many kids were sent home that day for failure to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2007, 05:13 PM
 
11,206 posts, read 16,555,929 times
Reputation: 5021
This is interesting to read considering I had a job opportunity in DeSoto a few years ago....starting to sound like some suburbs are going the way of some parts of outer-loop Houston (Sharpstown, Gulfton were once nice suburban areas, for example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2007, 10:45 AM
 
1,067 posts, read 3,748,434 times
Reputation: 506
Quote:
There is one poster on this page that would have you believe that if you live in or near C. Hill you will have significant respiratory issues just because he or she did. I am an asthmatic and a healthcare professional and have not had one problem. If your lungs are jacked up it doesn't matter where you live. It is completely dependent upon what YOUR lungs are sensitive to. They were probably more inflammed form tree pollen and grass pollen than the concrete plants.
You would be referring to me.
Since I have moved back and live in Mckinney, my family and I have not had any major lung issues. Nothing, I no longer depend on inhalers or nebulizers nor does my whole family. When we lived in Duncanville, we had to take a treatment everyday and we had red eyes lots of times. My husbands eyes were particularily painful. We then moved to Florida and after awhile we got really better. It wasn't instant but all the lung issues and red eyes did go away. When we moved back to the area, I was really worried because I kept thinking of how it was for us prior and just prayed about it. I am a christian and my faith is very important to me, I felt that it was God who parted the ways for us to go to Florida and it was he who decided when it was time for us to come back home. It really was. I knew when the opportunity came up to be here, I heard him speak to my spirit and heard him say he wouldn't let that happen again. It hasn't, his words were true. He has taken good care of us in that department.
Currently I am surrounded by evergreens, cedar elms, oaks ect. Prior to living here, we lived in a pine forest mixed with oaks in Florida. When we moved there, my son had a huge lung episode and had to be put on a nebulizer right in the pediatricians office. It was our 2nd day there and then he had to take an oral steriod to open up his lungs. That was his last lung episode. He was 12 months then, he is currently 5.8 years.
We were told that our oldest was an asthmatic by a pediatrician in Midlothian but later by allergy specilalist saw no signs of it and her allergy test came back great, nothing she is allergic too , food or enviroment. Same for my son on the test. Remember he gagged every time he got a cold
there, to move away to never gag or have a runny nose again.
I myself had an allergy test and it shows I am allergic to dust mites, peas and cod. My husband, to dust as well as some grasses.
I talked to a man from Downwinders who told me that what I expereinced was not unusal and he had heard that same thing several times. There are some people who can tolerate it but our family could not. He also told me the current of the winds took it over our location in D ville on and out towards Arlington and Fort Worth. Usually the further it goes, the less toxicity. We were told the air stream can carry it faster certain times of the years thus making the toxic dust
more strong such as in the month of Decemember. That would explain why my daughter coughed for 3 weeks straight in December when we moved to that part of Duncanville versus why she never coughed like that in Cedar Hill. We lived more east of the plants in Cedar Hill and in Duncanville the north western route of the current went over our home. Going on, he told me that there was a small sample test done by a toxicologist from Houston area and compared Midlothian residents to elderly patience in Waxahatchie and they found that there was a 30% more increased rate of people with respitory issues in Midlothian. Grant you this is a small survey and he is hoping someone will come in a do a bigger test. It is all political though and a lack of funding to get it done.
I can't begin to tell you personally too when I went to the allergist/asthma specialist off of Wheatland in D'ville, how many people I personally knew from church and around that went to get their shots each week for allergies.
That office, the doctor DID NOT live in south Dallas. He told me he lived NORTH. I now understand why, it never clicked before and nothing clicked 100% till I started coming on here. I knew what I felt but it just was a feeling and felt like someone said once, if you live in a city you just have to deal with the pollution. It is just different.
Here is a link
Downwinders At Risk-Home Page
I encourage anyone to look and call and speak to someone personally.
For the record too, if I could move south, I would. You have to understand that I loved living there as far as people go. I loved the diversity and the lay of the land is just beautiful over that way. We were respected in the community and we had a wonderful church. I would never paint a untrue opinionated picture of the area.

As far as english goes. I make too many typos and am dyslexic. I feel fortunate that thus so far people have gone beyond my bad grammar to see my points. Thank you for not judging me as dumb and poorly educated. My own father was an english teacher. He really tried to help me.

Last edited by stargazer; 08-06-2007 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2007, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Frisco, Tx
383 posts, read 950,657 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB View Post
By you saying "to well"; what do you actually mean? DeSoto is very nice, and so is Cedar Hill; I know very little about Duncanville other than there is a large population of African Americans buying there because of the affordability & square footage of houses. And most of the people that I know in that area would never use "to" for "too". Where do you live? Most likely the "Garland" area, I'm sure!!!! And to shaunnol & seaunmaine; there are no "SAFE" areas; this includes Frisco & The Colony; DON'T YOU LISTEN TO THE NEWS OR READ THE PAPERS? I'd rather doubt you do being 22 and naive enough to think that someone could run fast enough to escape CRIME!!!

She didn't mention anything that wasn't the truth, didn't seem very rude to me. There may not be any safe areas anywhere, but you stand alot better chances in Frisco than Duncanville I assure you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2007, 12:05 PM
 
109 posts, read 358,332 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
She didn't mention anything that wasn't the truth, didn't seem very rude to me. There may not be any safe areas anywhere, but you stand alot better chances in Frisco than Duncanville I assure you.
Says you.
The real estate lady murdered last year in Frisco would likely disagree with you, if she were still alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top