Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,348 times

Advertisements

I'm a newbie and read that Duncanville is going down. How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 04:27 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
I use to live there and my inlaws have a home there that they bought in the early 80's. Have you been down there and looked around? Many of the business's that use to be in town are no longer and it is getting run down. At Christmas we went to the local Walgreens to get some bread for my mother in law and was not surprised to see the front boarded up, tire marks going into the store and a temporary door. Someone had run their car in and stole what they could and got out. They did not catch the crook. This Walgreens sits just next door to my in laws neighborhood. Crime is getting pretty bad in the neighborhoods due to the promixity of a dallas neighborhood called The Woods that borders the town that is low income.

We built a beautiful colonial in Thoroughbred Hills for 258,900 and after 18 months of it being on the market there and no choice due to corporate moving us, we sold it for 241,000. The house was appraised at 290,000 and we are very fortunate because corporate did pay for the payments on the home till it sold and paid the difference based on the appraisal. So we were fine.

It is ashame it is like this because Duncanville has some beautfiul, well built homes that were built around the 80's. The kind of fixer uppers that most young middle class couples want to redo in current colors. Those homes are one of kind as well, with the high ceilings and tons of square footage for reasonable but the facts are, that it is just going downhill in the area. My inlaws are very depressed about the whole thing. They saw a town that was the jewel of southwest dallas county, had a great mall( red bird at the time) and good schools. It isn't like that anymore. It is a total shame. Somehow Duncanville failed to keep everyone there and attract new progressive business to the area.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:47 PM

501 posts, read 1,462,635 times
I am not that familiar with Duncanville so I can't really address whether or not it's going "down". However my sons have on occasion had hockey games at the ice rink in Duncanville and they have had a lot of car break ins at that rink. As well the convenience stores around the rink are pretty rough looking.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:49 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Back in the day Duncanville HS had the BEST marching band around. Everyone in the entire metroplex feared them if they were in a competition. We used to go down there all the time as they were in the same region as us to play for all sports. As Stargazer said, during the 80's there were some beautiful custom built homes down there being built. Over the years it has lost its luster and I think what is around it has been creeping into Duncanville. I know several people here on the other side of Dallas that grew up there and only a few of them have parents still living in Duncanville. The rest don't even go back. Last fall there was a big bru-ha-ha going on at Duncanville HS. The school district and the school were having problems w/ people coming onto campus to cause trouble or to just hang out. So they put up a HUGE chain link fence around the perimeter. This upset many of the neighbors but it was the only solution to keep unwanted people from hanging out and having easy access to the high school campus and parking lot.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I think they have made a mistake to make Duncanville High a mega-school where you are just a number. Too large to control, also it seems.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:38 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
DeSoto and Cedar Hill are a little better, but not by much. I hope that side of the metroplex gets help. Lancaster-DeSoto-Duncanville-Cedar Hill are all not doing to well.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:03 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
At least Cedar Hill has some decent shopping off Hwy 1382.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 12,622 times
As someone who has lived in the DeSoto/Duncanville/Lancaster area for 21 years (I'm 22), but now moving to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area in a few months (thankfully!), you will be making the worst decision of your life moving to that area of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Crime has gone up, businesses have left, and the schools are awful now. The towns then and now are like two totally different towns. Arguably, Cedar Hill, which is in the area, is not doing as bad as the other towns in the area, thanks to booming retail, but sooner or later, it will join the other towns also. Avoid anywhere south of Dallas generally, and try somewhere around Frisco or The Colony. I hope that helps.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:28 PM

12 posts, read 42,490 times
Run as fast as you can to some place north of Dallas or better yet move out of state where you will be safe.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:00 PM
DWB

1 posts, read 6,969 times
Thumbs down Hating Garland!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
DeSoto and Cedar Hill are a little better, but not by much. I hope that side of the metroplex gets help. Lancaster-DeSoto-Duncanville-Cedar Hill are all not doing to well.

By you saying "to well"; what do you actually mean? DeSoto is very nice, and so is Cedar Hill; I know very little about Duncanville other than there is a large population of African Americans buying there because of the affordability & square footage of houses. And most of the people that I know in that area would never use "to" for "too". Where do you live? Most likely the "Garland" area, I'm sure!!!! And to shaunnol & seaunmaine; there are no "SAFE" areas; this includes Frisco & The Colony; DON'T YOU LISTEN TO THE NEWS OR READ THE PAPERS? I'd rather doubt you do being 22 and naive enough to think that someone could run fast enough to escape CRIME!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas