Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
And dont forget about the blue laws here. Im not sure how it is in Boston (I stocked up on wine that week I was there)...but Texas has seriously gay blue laws. You may have to drive 50 miles just to buy liquor, so stock up boy.
The OP hopes to live in inner-city Dallas where hard liquor, wine & beer can be purchased at liquor stores in the many "wet" areas Mon-Sat. Wine and beer is sold at grocery stores 7 days per week in those same areas of the city. Some parts of Dallas are dry (Oak Cliff, for example) and do not have liquor stores, however, you can still buy beer, wine and cocktails at many of the restaurants in Oak Cliff any day of the week. I agree that these Prohibition era restrictions need to be gotten rid of, but until that happens, I don't think most people have a huge problem in making it to the liquor stores during the 6 days of the week on which they are open. If you have to drive 50 miles to buy liquor, then you're not even living in Dallas County. You'll be happy to know that Mass. has gotten rid of it's blue laws pertaining to alcohol sales. Here's a list of laws by state:

List of alcohol laws of the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 PM

454 posts, read 688,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Where are you living in the city of Dallas that you have to drive 50 miles to buy liquor?

and troubled race relations:

Harvard Gazette: Has Boston shed its racist reputation?
I was exaggerating when I said up to 50 miles. Say you live in Arlington near the parks and games. Then decide to get a bottle of something. But then you change your mind and head over to Dallas for a night of fun. By the time you come back, you'd driven 50 miles in total just for a couple of drinks at a bar in uptown.

Still, comparing these places in the south and Boston...coming from someone who's experienced it first hand, theres a distinct difference. Places in the south are more bold with it (predjudice). I've had people in Dallas blatantly ignore me when I'd ask for directions or for anything. In the grocery stores, they will try to run over me with their carts and expect ME to say excuse me? WTF?

up north seems to atleast acknowledge that its a person. People on the subway speak when you ask them a question. Even small Jewish shop owners didnt follow me around at the store. The people I did meet were more helpful and involved. Not cold and detached. And non of that Dallitude crap. The media and newspapers say alot of things. I know a difference when I see one. There is a difference between here (south) and Boston.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:09 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,185 times
I guess everyone's experiences are different and that certainly shapes how you feel about a place. As an African-American who has lived and traveled many places, I've found people in Dallas to be (mostly) helpful and courteous with absolutely zero run-ins with malicious grocery carts.

Have you lived in Boston? You might find your experience as a resident will vary from your experience as a tourist.

As for drinking in Arlington, there are bars there so you don't have to go to Uptown. Now, the quality of the bars is another matter.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,470,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar8739 View Post
I live in Brighton right now. I grew up in Natick.

I want people that are 24-30 - love to go out to the bars. I love to dance. I love everything closeby, but also want to get a good bang for my buck. My roommate and I will spend around 1600 if the deal is right. ( I think she will!) haha
Living in Uptown would be the nearest Dallas equivalent to Back Bay. At little pricer, right in the heart of it. Allston would be Knox-Henderson (that's an intersection - google map it) which is just north of Uptown.

Another section you could try is along Lower Greenville. It reminds me of Lansdowne and Brighton Ave near Harvard St. probably better deals there, but less walkable than Uptown.

I have not seen newbury St crowds anywhere in DFW. Don't expect that.

Downtown Dallas is possibly an option too, but expect to deal with a far higher ratio of street people / regulars than in BOS. The opportunity however is landing a highrise condo relatively cheap.

Any other q's, just ask. I've been here for a year. Oh and bring a towel. The summer heat is as bad as the Boston cold w/o the shoveling.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
According to this 2007 story, the Jewish population of Dallas is four times that of Austin (to be fair, it's not huge in either city):

Jewish population small in number, large in influence in Texas : Columns : Abilene Reporter-News

And there's this from a 2008 D Magazine piece written by Serge Frolov, associate professor and Nate and Ann Levine Endowed Chair in Jewish Studies at SMU:

"Now that we are welcomed by our neighbors in their social clubs, we happily join them in everything except specifically Jewish activities. And although the Jewish population of Dallas is small in comparison to such centers as New York, Los Angeles, Miami, or Chicago (according to a recent estimate, there are about 50,000 Jews in North Texas), my sense is that the choice of such activities is not inferior to the one I had in Southern California and even in Israel. Dallas and surrounding cities have about 20 Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform synagogues, several Jewish schools and educational institutions, and chapters of just about all national Jewish organizations—from Bnai Zion to the Anti-Defamation League to the Lubavitch Movement. There is even a local Jewish newspaper, the Texas Jewish Post."

The difference in the different religious and ethnic areas from somewhere in the Northeast to Dallas............ IN Dallas you can live ANYWHERE! There is no "jewish section" or what have you that exists in a lot of other cities where the majority of the residents are Italian, Jewish, German, etc. Here people live all over and mix in with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
As to the O.P., I know we are 2 different people but I just didnt get that rudeness in Boston as I do here in Dallas. And I know rude because Miami people are as about rude as it gets in the south.

And dont forget about the blue laws here. Im not sure how it is in Boston (I stocked up on wine that week I was there)...but Texas has seriously gay blue laws. You may have to drive 50 miles just to buy liquor, so stock up boy.

And once you leave Dallas, you're in Mexico. Irving, Arlington, part of Fort Worth and Dallas are all Mexico. They are very tight people here in Dallas who are clickish and have known each other for years. They arent open to outsiders much, unless its just for casual fun (sex).

I'd say someone has some SERIOUS hangups. Seriously.

The Blue Laws are out. Try looking up how to buy liquor in somewhere like New Jersey. Makes it look like we give it out to kids coming out of church on Sunday after reading THEIR laws.

Mexico..... really? Have you even been to Mexico? I have. Doesn't even compare. LOL!!! Thanks for the laughs.

Oh, and the only wanting to meet outsiders for "casual sex". PUH-LEEZE!!! What a crock............ too funny.

You know, if people are trying to run you over in the grocery store w/ their carts I'd say there is something going on in your world that is a little deeper than moving to Boston is going to fix. Visiting somewhere for a week is a TOTALLY different experience than living there longterm. That old saying, "no matter where you go, there you are".

Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
I have not seen newbury St crowds anywhere in DFW. Don't expect that. >>

It's been 12 years since I've been in Boston, but perhaps the Park Cities?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:31 AM

15 posts, read 23,122 times
I am a 29 year old male who is about to leave Austin and head for Dallas in the next two months. I have been here in Austin for 9 months after being in Boston my first 28 years. Can't say I have been crazy about Austin although there are lots of high points to it. It's too late and I am too tired to get into detail, but I will comment on my view of the pros and cons very soon on here. I am looking for something upscale when I get to Dallas, since I am leaving what was a brand new apartment in a great complex overlooking a pool and 3 miles outside of downtown Austin. If I can replicate that it would be preferable. I do not have to be at all 3 miles near the downtown of Dallas since is such a bigger metro area. But I want to be around lots of other young people who have it together. This seems like a great forum. Thanks for the help you have already given me by reading your posts already.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:54 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,185 times
If you're looking for an upscale apartment complex with lots of young professionals, try Uptown and Knox-Henderson. Neither is all that far from downtown either.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:30 PM

34 posts, read 92,098 times
I just signed my lease today to live in Uptown. Marquis At West Village

Pretty awesome place when I checked it out. I can't imagine it being that tough to get alcohol. Oh well I will stock up - I like hard alcohol anyways, so it won't be a problem.

There are racist people whereever you go. I think people in Boston aren't too bad. It just matters where you live. I like Boston, but just want a change and know Dallas will be a change. I am sick of living in a small place and paying a fortune. I am keeping my Boston job down here so I will be able to live a much higher lifestyle.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:37 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,229 times
^ Welcome to DFW ar8739!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas