Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,736,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
My guess is those kids on that list are getting a free ride.
Or a good chunk of it covered.

I know one of the top kids on the list and he picked the out of state school and NEVER even looked at schools within Texas. Not that he couldn't get in them at all, he just wanted to go out of state and no reason at all for it. However, there are a few of us that kind of feel the need to call and warn the school or at least this persons future roommate (they are going to be in for a shock). One of this persons classmates that was in the top 10 (not %) but I believe came in at like #6 never looked out of the state and is picking UT-Austin because of the school in which they want to study there is top notch.

A good friend of ours kid just graduated and got accepted into some pretty top schools in the Northeast but is going to UT-Austin instead. Closer to home and lower tuition and still a highly regarded school for their field of study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 10:31 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,904,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
You have to be 19 to go on a mission in the LDS church, so those that don't go to the Y end up going to another college for a year or else working for a year. BYU definitely makes going on your mission much easier to accomplish without bureaucratic nightmares than any non-LDS school. Also, it is one of only a few LDS schools, unlike Notre Dame, so those that want a Mormon school are most likely going to end up there, and also the fact that Mormons tend to be much more religious on the whole than Catholics and thus more likely to want an environment that follows the Word of Wisdom rathern than the "sinful" lives of most college students.
All true.

Most of the Mormons I knew growing up had to spend a year or two working to scrape up the money to finance their mission trip. Maybe around here Mom and Dad are more likely to spring for that.

An interesting side question is this - why are there so many Mormons among the top students? Does being Mormon make you smarter? Maybe harder working?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:14 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,736,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
All true.

Most of the Mormons I knew growing up had to spend a year or two working to scrape up the money to finance their mission trip. Maybe around here Mom and Dad are more likely to spring for that.

An interesting side question is this - why are there so many Mormons among the top students? Does being Mormon make you smarter? Maybe harder working?
We had a girl (young lady) that taught my girls private swim lessons that was Mormon. We got her name from a local private school that used her every summer for their swim lessons. She was GREAT and the girls LOVED her. She started doing swim lessons in high school and continued on thru college coming back in the summers to do them. She attended Abilene Christian and was going on her mission trip after she graduated with her bachelor's before starting work on her master's at BYU. We were all sad to see her go but wished her well. She made some GOOD MONEY doing swim lessons and her younger sister took up the job as well.

I'd say it is more being resourceful, good steward of time/money, dedication & priorities that play a HUGE role in their academics. Something ANYONE of any belief can do if they set their mind to it.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:10 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,050,017 times
Quote:
I guess I am naive but why does Brigham Young have so many.
Our salutatorian is going there - he's the nephew of Mitt Romney so that may give you one clue!

http://lakewood-dallas.blackwhiteread.com/view/article/11145?print=true (broken link)

Old 07-06-2009, 04:54 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,578,791 times
Quote:
My guess is those kids on that list are getting a free ride.
You mean the BYU kids or the public school kids?

UT Austin does not as a rule give very much scholarship money at all because they use most of their funding and endowment to keep tuition low. Other than athletic scholarships, there are not really any full scholarships at UT. Only 55% of students receive a scholarship, and the average amount is less than $1,000 per annum. The economic crisis even has forced UT to cut automatic scholarship money for National Merit Finalists--they have to earn scholarships based on their entire record and not just their PSAT scores now.

UT Dallas throws scholarships at top students like a pinata spouts candy. They have lots of cash from TI and they give it away to attract top student, particularly to business, engineering, and computer science fields.

Most of the UT Arlington kids are likely doing so out of economic necessity--it's cheap and they can stay at home. UTA gives scholarships but I doubt that's the main reason most of those kids are going there.

As for BYU, it's heavily subsidized by LDS Chuch tithes, so often for Mormons it's cheaper to go to BYU than to go to public universities. BYU also has a strong scholarship program for top students, so many if not most LDS top grads can go to BYU for free.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:27 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,904,400 times
Default Re:

Other than UT Dallas, I can't think of any other TX schools that give top students free rides as a matter of course. That's a common misperception folks have, that A+ students get to go to school where they choose for free. Of the top 10 kids at my school (back in the 80s), the only ones who went to school for free were the 2 who went to Annapolis.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:20 PM

424 posts, read 1,812,698 times
Did anyone notice the one person who is not going to college, but is choosing to pursue an acting career?

Wonder what his/her parents think...? I wish that person the best...they will probably be the one to actually get a job in this economy!!!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:41 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,401,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr View Post
Did anyone notice the one person who is not going to college, but is choosing to pursue an acting career?

Wonder what his/her parents think...? I wish that person the best...they will probably be the one to actually get a job in this economy!!!!!
That one was a female.

The one person I know on the list is heading to the Ivy League - the parents are extremely wealthy and a Texas school wasn't even considered. The kid is very bright, though, hard worker.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:35 PM

6,715 posts, read 13,937,463 times
I noticed the kid at our local high school is going to Yale. That's nice to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas