U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:11 AM

15 posts, read 36,211 times
If it's the ADD ADHD Center in Plano that I am familiar with, they are painfully high priced and do not accept insurance or payment plans. I mean "really" high priced. Outrageously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,946 times
I am a fan of charter schools myself, one of my children would be considered special need because he has processing issues similar to ADD but we have found a wonderful school called The Education Center which has 5 locations in North DFW. It is an mastery program which basiclly means that instead of the child passing with a D- they must earn a 80% or better to move to the next subject, which I know on the face sounds scary but what it does is makes sure the child has the proper building blocks in place to move on to the next area of learning, which is esential in math and reading. (ie: you must know your numbers in order to add, you must know how to add in order to multiply, you must know your multiplication in order to divide etc...). All my children are excelling but it was for my 2nd grader soon to be 3rd that we fell in love with this school.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:14 AM

I have spoken again with my local ADHD support group leader who will be using her contact attorney, for advise on this for me (for a second time).
I have sent another email to the district. The initial one was send to them 2 years ago. They did respond then but I am still waiting to hear back on my recent email to them.
The diagnosis we have was given to us after a screening. There were several small scale tests that were given and reviewed, along with the forms from home and the teachers.
She lacks a full scale evaluation, which is what I am trying to get for her. She also needs a full psychological evaluation. It has been suggested to me that she has symptoms that seem like "attachment disorder". I agree but after researching this information, it seems so new that it too is a rough road to travel. Another one.....great.
Lately, she is engaging in seriously poor behavior choices. She has started (and lost) a brutal fight with her little friend nxt door. She has tried to sell a bicycle to a friend for $5. and the bike is not ours. And now she has brought home yearbooks from her schools previous years that I know belong in the school office. She lies about everything. Everything! The fight she started, she lied and said the neighbor started it. The books, she has lied 4 times about. She will lie and say that we have said things that we haven't. She has no problem defending a lie in front of the person she is lying about, she doesn't care. She lies while in time-out for lying...and will lie again later. She is constantly doing something sneeky, that she knows she shouldn't be doing or it's allowed to do. When I go through her room, I find an aray of items she has smuggled and hidden (from around the house or from school), that do not belong to her. It's really getting out of control.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:27 PM

424 posts, read 1,245,248 times
Default I've heard Lewisville ISD has a great Sp. ed. program

I know a few parents have been very pleased with lewisville ISD. Their special education is supposed to be very good.

My advice to the OP is to look into that option as well.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:57 PM

Question about IEP's: Who gets them? and why?

Old 08-27-2009, 07:02 PM

6,586 posts, read 15,904,708 times
If a child has a disability that falls into one of the 13 qualifying categories and the disability negatively impacts their ability to learn, then they can have an IEP - individual education plan.

The 13 categories of IDEA disabilities are:
(1) mental retardation;
(2) hearing impairments;
(3) deafness;
(4) speech or language impairments
(5) visual impairments-blindness;
(6) deaf-blind;
(7) serious emotional disturbance;
(8) orthopedic impairments;
(9) autism;
(10) traumatic brain injury;
(11) multiple disabilities;
(12) other health impairments (this is where ADHD falls);
and (13) specific learning disabilities

Old 08-27-2009, 08:37 PM

161 posts, read 495,809 times
Default Adhd frustrations

To the parent in McKinney - with the ADHD daughter. And all parents whose families/children deal with this issue. My heart and my admiration goes out to all of you.

I personally am not aware of any family (with ADHD children) who haven't been through years of struggles - dealing with uninformed teachers and unsupportive schools, receiving dirty looks (or hushed whispers) from other parents and even family members who believe ADHD is not real and is nothing more than "bad parenting".

I have an almost 16 yr. old son with ADHD and we have been at this for over 10 years. In addition to the ADHD, my son has ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) impulse issues, mild learning problems etc...Its been a revolving door of pediatricians, psychologists, psychiatrists, clinicians (testing), guidance counsellors, principals, and more recently the police and the court system. Nothing major, just a complete lack of judgement and impulse control.

For our family sanity, education was key. When first diagnosed, I read everything I could get my hands on, and joined CHADD for support. It helped. We worked with different medications and behavior management strategies.

Sometimes we got lucky and my son had a good teacher, but most of the time he didn't. It took me years to realize my sons school was not going to give him the help he needed (didn't qualify, they said)....so I eventually hired an Educational Advocate who attended meetings with me at his school and helped me to navigate through the system. She spoke the lingo and knew the laws. They had to recognize his ADHD as "other health impaired", and provide him with an IEP. This was after 3 years of battling and almost a year of meetings. I was worn out. And now my son was starting middle school and he had to "qualify" all over again

Fast forward - moved to Allen from Atlanta (8th grade) and was surprised that he had no problem qualifying here. Certain accomodations were given. But he would have to advocate for himself. He would have to ask to work in the Learning Lab, let the teachers know he was having difficulty, requesting more time on tests, etc... He wouldn't do it - too much stigma. He refused to take meds anymore - was tired of taking them on and off for the past ten years.

So we just enrolled him in a Private High School. And we are cautiously optimistic. We are lucky to be in a position where we can afford private school, as I know many people can't.

But don't give up - there is hope. My son is bright, funny, very social, great debating skills and could sell ice to an Eskimo! Maybe politics are in his future!

Learn as much as you can, find support (start with local chapter of Chadd), find a good dr./psych/therapist and keep pressure on the schools - they need to do better. Gifted kids have Gifted/Tag/Phoenix/AP/IB programs, Charter and Magnet Schools (no additonal fees) - what about those kids with ADHD? Often, they can only get the kind of help they need at Private Schools.

Wow....if you made it is far down, I guess I'll get off my soap box now!

Old 02-05-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckmom View Post
To the parent in McKinney - with the ADHD daughter. And all parents whose families/children deal with this issue. My heart and my admiration goes out to all of you.

I personally am not aware of any family (with ADHD children) who haven't been through years of struggles - dealing with uninformed teachers and unsupportive schools, receiving dirty looks (or hushed whispers) from other parents and even family members who believe ADHD is not real and is nothing more than "bad parenting".

I have an almost 16 yr. old son with ADHD and we have been at this for over 10 years. In addition to the ADHD, my son has ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) impulse issues, mild learning problems etc...Its been a revolving door of pediatricians, psychologists, psychiatrists, clinicians (testing), guidance counsellors, principals, and more recently the police and the court system. Nothing major, just a complete lack of judgement and impulse control.

For our family sanity, education was key. When first diagnosed, I read everything I could get my hands on, and joined CHADD for support. It helped. We worked with different medications and behavior management strategies.

Sometimes we got lucky and my son had a good teacher, but most of the time he didn't. It took me years to realize my sons school was not going to give him the help he needed (didn't qualify, they said)....so I eventually hired an Educational Advocate who attended meetings with me at his school and helped me to navigate through the system. She spoke the lingo and knew the laws. They had to recognize his ADHD as "other health impaired", and provide him with an IEP. This was after 3 years of battling and almost a year of meetings. I was worn out. And now my son was starting middle school and he had to "qualify" all over again

Fast forward - moved to Allen from Atlanta (8th grade) and was surprised that he had no problem qualifying here. Certain accomodations were given. But he would have to advocate for himself. He would have to ask to work in the Learning Lab, let the teachers know he was having difficulty, requesting more time on tests, etc... He wouldn't do it - too much stigma. He refused to take meds anymore - was tired of taking them on and off for the past ten years.

So we just enrolled him in a Private High School. And we are cautiously optimistic. We are lucky to be in a position where we can afford private school, as I know many people can't.

But don't give up - there is hope. My son is bright, funny, very social, great debating skills and could sell ice to an Eskimo! Maybe politics are in his future!

Learn as much as you can, find support (start with local chapter of Chadd), find a good dr./psych/therapist and keep pressure on the schools - they need to do better. Gifted kids have Gifted/Tag/Phoenix/AP/IB programs, Charter and Magnet Schools (no additonal fees) - what about those kids with ADHD? Often, they can only get the kind of help they need at Private Schools.

Wow....if you made it is far down, I guess I'll get off my soap box now!
Thanks for the support and advise. After 3 years of digging my heels in the dirt, I just flat out told them during our last meeting, that "I'm not going to back off on this. I haven't in the past 3 years and I have 3 more til she moves on to Jr. high. I will keep coming up here and keep requesting an evaluation for her.", and 2 hours later I received a call informing me that she does qualify and the request has been approved. I was too excited. I felt like Erin Brockovich.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,272 times
I need a good Doctor one who love there jobs then I know they would really help me. A doctor in ADHD help shoeba@swbell. ( in to be a specializes in ADHD) were can i found a list of Doctor that specializes in ADHD only help help help

Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeba1 View Post
I need a good Doctor one who love there jobs then I know they would really help me. A doctor in ADHD help shoeba@swbell. ( in to be a specializes in ADHD) were can i found a list of Doctor that specializes in ADHD only help help help
Got it!
https://www.wetalearningmedia.org/ye...ndex.php?id=93
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas