Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:43 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend some good schools in the keller/trophy club area? I read that westlake there is a 5 year waiting list. With all the new construction out there things are a little messed up. At one point it was going to be an elemtry school across the railroad tracks, can't think of the name of it now. Suger hill? Now I guess my daughters will go to roanoke elementry. I don't get it.

I decided to try and find school to send my girls but they are all in Dallas or ft. worth. I rather not have them at thier age going that far to school everyday. i am not familar with the area here and did do some research but didn't find much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 01:56 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
Will you need the school for fall '09? Private schools usually have openings posted and registration to fill those slots in the spring. You might be put on a waiting list so you might want a back up school plan. The only school I know of is the Ft Worth Country Day school as my son's team played theirs in soccer. However the attitudes of the players and coach did not represent that school well.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:12 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
If you are living in Trophy Club or Westlake there is no need to send your kids to private schools unless you want a religious education. The "Christian" schools in TX tend to be highly evangelical and not as well-regarded academically as the non-denominational private school, Episcopalian schools, Catholic schools, or public schools.

Justin Northwest High School is excellent, and Southlake Carroll High School and Senior High is considered to be one of the top five public schools in the state. Trophy Club is getting a brand new high school, Byron Nelson High School, and it should be excellent.

Country Day is regarded as an excellent school, but it's in Southwest Ft Worth and you'd be better off just going to the more prestigious North Dallas independent schools like St. Mark's, Hockaday, and Greenhill, or else Cistercian Prep in Irving if you really want an elite private school. Otherwise I'd suggest the equally elite public schools in the area.

The only private schools at all I can think of in northeast Tarrant are Harvest Christian in Watauga and Faith Christian in Grapevine. Neither of these is a particularly well-regarded school academically and it's not likely either will be closer than your public grade school.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:20 PM

No I was told they would be going to Roanoke elementry.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:32 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Roanoake Elementary is an exemplary school in the Northwest ISD. This means it goes to Northwest High School right now and probably will go to Byron Nelson High School when it opens.

I obviously don't know your address so I can't say whether there will be a private school closer to your house, but that region doesn't have many private schools because the public schools are so very good.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Faith Christian School is in Grapevine, which is fairly close to Trophy Club.

But as others have said, the public schools in this area are GREAT, and IMHO, there is no reason to pay $$$ private school tuition.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Unless your children have special needs that make you want them to have more personalized attention the schools in the area are very good. I would keep them in public school, but of course that is your decision.

Nita

Old 07-10-2009, 08:25 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Search over in the Ft Worth forum... I gave a huge list just a while ago.

Most Peoplke in the Keller area area that go private send them to Saint Elizabeth Annes (in Keller off of Willis lane) OR Ft Worth Christian.

There is also New Hope Chritian school (Lutheran) and I know of a few who go there as well.

If you just google you will get a whole list and then you can go and visit them.

tons of churches have preschool if you need it as well.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Unless your children have special needs that make you want them to have more personalized attention the schools in the area are very good. I would keep them in public school, but of course that is your decision.

Nita

My 3 year old might be slightly autisic, right now it's undertermined. She can't sit still, we can't take her out to many places because she just screams, she has a really bad temper, she hits and throws things at people. I am afraid to put her in a regular school. My other daughter is fine so I am not worried about her interacting with other kids and her teachers.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
If your daughter might be autistic, the WORST thing you could do for her is put her in a private school. With the exception of a few schools that specialize in learning differences, they are absolutely not in the business of providing accomodations or special treatments. Honestly, the school would probably kick her out after a few weeks.

The public school system is required by law to provide an education to all comers, and is going to be your best bet for getting your child an education that fits her needs and abilities.

Speaking of which, you should already be in contact with your local school, even at age 3. The district will evaluate your daughter and provide pre-school services as appropriate.

That screaming is not normal 3-year-old behavior, and it sounds to me like evaluation and treatment need to be happening NOW. That type of behavior is beyond "slightly autistic".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas